Menu

Kids hair cuts

Elizabeth86

It depends on the kid.  The one who has a sense of style has been choosing for herself since at least 1st grade.  She has been cutting her own hair for years also.  I also let her cut mine.  :p

The other one, I let her choose a style at the beginning of summer when she was 7.5.  A low-risk decision, LOL.  Since then I advise her, but she generally goes along and has a nice style.

I do require that the hair meet the school dress code except in the summer.  :p

If my kids had some really edgy ideas, I might act differently.

ETA I should note that for years, my youngest was trying to be Rapunzel, and her hair reached her butt before she finally decided it wasn't worth the painful combing any more.  My other kid also tried for long hair until she realized there was no competing with Sis.  :P   My only input really was to keep the hair neatly trimmed during those years.

Edited by SKL

So wdyt, 4 and 5 year old enough to decide?

If my 4.5 yo boy cared, I'd probably let him with some (mild) guidance.  He doesn't :lol:  If said hairstyle will require lots of maintenance from me (lots of extra brushing or styling time), I'd probably have more of an opinion until the child can keep up with the hygiene him or herself.

My former principal received a lot of flack at our (small, very conservative) school because he was letting his son grow out his hair.  As the he pointed out, if the only thing he and his teenage son had to argue about between the ages of 13-18 was a hairstyle, he was going to feel mighty blessed.  

• Like 3

So wdyt, 4 and 5 year old enough to decide?

Yes. My 4 year old son had the most beautiful curls and when we cut his hair super short I got a lot of crap from people asking why I would do that. They wouldn't accept that ds asked for the haircut. Some even questioned why I'd allow him decide. I found it ridiculous that they thought they had more say in his hairstyle then he did.

But I have a happy kid so I'm good with that

• Like 1

Within reason parental guidelines. My DH would never suggest long hair on the boys. He's pretty wholeheartedly against it. And fortunately the boys are okay with that! So, neatly trimmed around the ears, neck, side burns. No hair in their eyes. DS12 has asked for longer hair, which means a #8 on top instead of a #4. Actually, I do the tops with scissors. DS12 has pushed me to learn new hair cutting skillz, lol.

At 4 and 5, their only request was the quicker the better.

• Like 1

For me, this would depend on whether or not the child has the ability to do the style they want......I am not cutting a mohawk in my 4yr old's head that I have to spend 15 minutes on every morning lol. It would also depend on how much the child wants it. Like if the kid is wanting a different style every week in the same way that kids that age decide one week they want to be an astronaut when they grow up, the next a trash man, the next a dog lol I might be less inclined.

My 4 year old learn real quick how to style his fohawk because he wanted that style. Had he expected me to do it for him he would not have had that cut.

I think who is maintaining it matters. DS hates haircuts, but it's not that he'd prefer long hair--he'd hate washing it more often and combing it every day. So unless there's a particular style that he wants and is willing to keep up, he's going to get a buzz cut every month out back, just like dad.

And for a girl, she could rock the Rapunzel look if she was willing to help take care of it and not fuss when it was time to braid it, etc., or I would show her pixie-type options. I'd be open to streaks of color, because there's nothing to take care of once it's done.

I feel strongly about not letting hair care be a source of daily conflict (as it was between my mom & me and mom & sisters). I'm much less interested in the cut/color/style itself, as long as it's neat and clean.

Edited by whitehawk

I don't think there is anything wrong with some guidelines. Like if someone wants hair down to their knees but won't let you brush it, that probably won't work. But yes, I would let a 4 and 5 year old basically get what they want.

My oldest DD has super short hair now, and my oldest DS has long hair.

• Like 1

See 4 year old just doesnt like getting his hair cut. Tbe 5 year old wants what he calls a "hair design" which involves him spiking up the top of his hair.

Drives me nuts when their hair gets shaggy. The look of a not maintained haircut just looks the same as say dirty fingernails to me. I dont like to leave enough hair for his hair design because it looks messy due to his wavy hair. I have a very narrow mind of what a nice man's haircut looks like. Blame tbe Marines I guess. I was used to that with dh its just what I think men and boys look nice with. I dont care formuxh hair on boys. My fil is a shaggy an beardy and it just looks so sloppy. I suppose if thet were 12

3 or so I would inagine people would look at them and see a kid exoressing his style or whatever, but when they see a 4 year old that needs a haircut they see a mon not properly grooming their kid

I know Im a crazy woman.

Yeah, i am not down with a 4yr old not wanting his hair cut just because he doesn't like it cut. Cutting the hair is part of the grooming routine, even if a person is growing their hair out, they still need to have the ends trimmed regularly to keep it from getting tangly and snarly and difficult to care for. To me, it's kind of like letting a kid go without taking a bath/shower, just because they don't like the tub.

For the 5yr old, if he can do his "hair design" himself, I wouldn't have a problem with that. And if is talking about spiking with gel and stuff, I wouldn't consider that shaggy or sloppy. That kind of "hair design" (I love that lol) can generally be done with fairly short hair anyway. You could look through some images of guys with spiked hair on top and try to find a style that fit's his "design" that you also like.

Yeah I suppose I should give a bit, but his hair looks such a mess when it grows the least little bit. The 4 yr olds hair doesnt look unruly because it is straight. 5 yr old just looks uncared for with the least bit of length. I cant really explain it. It is just wavy like mine. Not curly enough to look nice and curly. We just have messy looking wavy hair. Edited by Elizabeth86

I let my kids decide when they're old enough to have an opinion on the matter. For ds, it wasn't until he was a great deal older. Up until that point he just had whatever haircut he got because he didn't care. When he did care, he picked and so that's how it is.

My girls were a lot more opinionated about how they wanted their hair. Dd1 went with shoulder length because her hair is curly and she finds it difficult to take care of when it's longer. Dd2 is just letting it grow out because she wants it long. About the only thing I've had to say is that I can't afford to send them to the more expensive place to get their haircut right now so they have to settle for what I can afford. Sorry, not sorry. It caused some tears on one dd's part, but it's math here kiddo, not magic.

Still, within my budgetary limitations, they definitely direct how they want their hair done.

Whenever they express an opinion. Also, they need to be able to do the grooming and styling. I also retained the option to alter the style if needed for things like family portraits, weddings, and funerals, but it has never been an issue other than my just doing their desired style a little better. (I'm a licensed cosmetologist)

Also, as a cosmetologist it was heartbreaking to see kids forced into styles they hated because their parents wanted it, other than what might have been required for a school dress code. Saddest to me were little girls with sensitive scalps and an insensitive parent who was NOT gentle at brushing their hair, insisting it be kept waist-length :(

Best day ever was when a boy bet his parents that if he got straight As he could get his hair dyed purple. The parents never imagined he'd pull it off ;)

Edited by Rebel Yell

Whenever they express an opinion. Also, they need to be able to do the grooming and styling. I also retained the option to alter the style if needed for things like family portraits, weddings, and funerals, but it has never been an issue other than my just doing their desired style a little better. (I'm a licensed cosmetologist)

Also, as a cosmetologist it was heartbreaking to see kids forced into styles they hated because their parents wanted it, other than what might have been required for a school dress code. Saddest to me were little girls with sensitive scalps and an insensitive parent who was NOT gentle at brushing their hair, insisting it be kept waist-length :(

Best day ever was when a boy bet his parents that if he got straight As he could get his hair dyed purple. The parents never imagined he'd pull it off ;)

Lol I swear I dont think I will care when they get bigger, but right now they just look sloppy. Lol

• Like 1

Weaned? From breastfeeding? I always want my kids to self wean, but it never works out. I hate bf during pregnancy, so I feel I gave to wean them. Maybe this guy/girl will be the one to get to self wean.

Mine were seven years apart so during pregnancy wasn't an issue. I made the haircut an incentive, though DD forced the issue by taking to her own head with scissors. I then declared her weaned (she was nearly there anyway) and got her a proper haircut.

Edited by Ravin

I will say, any age they express an opinion.

That said when they are at the age where the child isn't brushing and the parent is, and the child won't allow grooming, I think it is fine for parents to make a decision for the sake of ease and hygiene. My dd had a short easy bob for a couple years for this reason. Once we got past that phase, I didn't care. My son has had long hair. My daughter has had hair of varying lengths and had a couple crazy colors.

• Like 1

The boys (8 and 5) don't give a hoot, so I make that decision. It's best to keep The Marvelous Flying Marco's hair out of his face (the 5 year old), because his hair is fine and just falls -- and he smacks at it if it's in his eyes. 

DD16 has decided her general cut for years. I would say since maybe 10 or 11? We have guidelines, though, so you could say that she still doesn't get to decide entirely, if you want. 

-- No dye. She can put in a streak as long as it can be washed out pretty immediately. Right now she has a blue/green streak, but it can be washed out.

-- No cuts above the shoulder. I know some people think that's weird, but it was a rule for me growing up, and it's a rule for her, too. I imagine that as soon as she's old enough (18) to do otherwise, she will -- at least once -- because I certainly did, lol. Actually, a stylist accidentally cut it too short one time and DD was not in the least bit happy and refused to go back to that stylist, despite having petitioned for years for a shorter cut. 

My boys haven't expressed an opinion on their hair yet so my husband keeps them in a typical boy cut which is what he prefers.

Our daughter is 7 and has at times expressed wanting to grow her hair out long or get it shoulder length like mine, we have obliged. When she wants it long our deal is that it has to look neat and stay out of her eyes if it's down. If she complains too much about hair brushing I suggest it gets cut so that it doesn't tangle as easily.