Menu

Math suggestions needed

Middle DD will be finishing TT 7 in the next couple of weeks.  She used BJU math previously and last year she wanted to try TT because older DD used it.  She's done Levels 6 & 7 of TT and it's been a so-so fit for her.  She likes being able to do the lessons on her own, but the spiral really frustrates her.  She did much better with the mastery and built in review pages from BJU.

We have MM and it's not a good fit for her.  I don't think CLE will be right either, due to the spiral.

Edited to add:  Looking for something that is mastery based, with built in review and written to the student.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Jess4879

Is myhomeschoolmathclass.com mastery? It would be worth looking into. We use TT pre-Algebra & I agree the spiral is very redundant. My son uses a calculator except for tests. This helps him work through a lot of the spiral problems more quickly, but he’s still reviewing everything. He tolerates TT very well, so for us it’s fine.

That seems to describe Rod & Staff. Although, she should be ready for prealgebra, right? I'd look into Lial's Prealgebra. I haven't used it, but I'm using Intermediate Algebra. It is mastery, written to the student, and includes a fair amount of review. It also teaches each concept from the beginning which would be great for filling gaps (assuming prealg is written the same as the later books).

Based on what you wrote, I would go back to bju. She is in the pre-algebra/algebra phase and I don't think that's the ideal time to experiment with new math curriculum. It sounds like you have successfully identified how she learns and succeeds with math. (And I believe there are videos if you want her to remain more independent)

Edited by smily
  • Like 1

Based on what you wrote, I would go back to bju. She is in the pre-algebra/algebra phase and I don't think that's the ideal time to experiment with new math curriculum. It sounds like you have successfully identified how she learns and succeeds with math. (And I believe there are videos if you want her to remain more independence)

This is what I would do. BJU is a solid program and the videos are so helpful. If it worked for her then I would be hesitant to try other things at this point in her math study.

Thanks for the suggestions. Off to do some research! :) Going back to BJU is a possibility, but the DVD's/online lessons are out of our budget, so I'd have to make it work with the TG/workbook only...

Doesn't BJU usually put the online videos on sale for $99 in January? I don't know the time frame for using them, but maybe that would help you.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Doesn't BJU usually put the online videos on sale for $99 in January? I don't know the time frame for using them, but maybe that would help you.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I believe I get access for a year...we checked in to it many moons ago and I remember it not working for time-frame...but I should check again, just to be sure.