Menu

What's your favourite audiobook (for you)

madteaparty

Audible credits piling on...I have a super-commute,but that also means I am likely to fall asleep on the bus :) I want something somewhat engaging but I don't need to do intellectual heavy lifting (no bandwidth these days).

So for example "Why Buddhism is True"  was engaging enough but the narrator did me in. Therese Raquin (Zola) was grim, but Kate Winslet made it ok.

I know about great courses. I have to do some of that stuff with DS. I usually hate National Book award winners/nominees/whatever the hottest new book making the rounds in NYC public radio,  but have very good luck with Man Booker winners.

The Nightingale is one of my all time favorites. You do have to pay attention and expend some mental energy though.

A Man Called Ove was also very good as was The Orphans Tale.

Some others I have enjoyed:

The Cellist of Sarajevo

Queen Sugar

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fanny Flagg for a lighter listen.

• Like 1

Okay, so I loved, "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

"The Adventure of English" by Bragg required some mental lifting, but it was also something I could just kind of listen to the narrator read and zone out a bit but still pick up the trail a few minutes later. I actually want to relisten to this soon.

I'm also an Orson Scott Card fan, so Enchantment is one of my repeat listens. 

• Like 1

I love the Outlander books. The reader is just so amazing with the accents and inflections, and she's brilliant at injecting humor into small scenes and turns of phrase. Her name is Davina Porter, and I think I could listen to her read the phone book. 

Possession and The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt were both very engrossing listens--smart and very well written, but they lay everything out for you, so you don't have to wrestle with all the intellectual stuff yourself too much  :lol: The Children's Book, in particular, interspersed detailed historical essays with the dramatic story lines. The history "lessons" are intended to illuminate the narrative as it moves through the years, and they're pretty fascinating. It by Stephen King was good too, if you don't mind horror. I didn't think I'd like the reader (a somewhat famous actor), but he turned out to be fantastic, perfect for the story. And I love the Game of Thrones books as well. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops