Menu

Why am I doing this?

Elizabeth86

I'll beat you all on lazy today. We have watched too much Dinotrux, eaten breakfast, played outside, and are only now gearing up for school, which will go from about 1-6:00 today. The 1st grader is going to be doing handwriting, a Logic of English lesson, and a Rightstart lesson. 45 minutes or so. Then he gets more toys and outside time. Only the 4th and 5th grader have full school days and I wouldn't say we really ramp the work up until 3rd grade here. 1st and 2nd are still really short. Maybe 2 hours max, and that's with interruptions.

I just want to add, it can be hard for some of us to focus on one thing when being distracted by other things.  I'm a 50-year-old mom and I have trouble doing math when people are bla blabbing trying to distract me.  Not everyone can multi-task.  Your son probably needs some time away from the hubbub if he is to focus on a math assignment.

If you can't manage that during the day (e.g. while the other kids are asleep), perhaps when your dh is home. It doesn't even have to be every day.

At some point you will need to figure out something for the youngers to do so the olders can work.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Guys, I'm sure she knows what the cut-off date is for her area. Five at the start of first grade is perfectly normal, even if it's not what you are personally used to. She doesn't need to be told to "check again". (I mean, I think starting first grade at 7 is a little late, but if you all tell me that this is the cut-off where you live I'm not going to argue with that either.)

With that said, it's okay to take first grade a little slowly, no matter how old your kid is. Five, six, seven - they're all still babies at that age. Half a day worth of academics is reasonable.

• Like 4

Guys, I'm sure she knows what the cut-off date is for her area. Five at the start of first grade is perfectly normal, even if it's not what you are personally used to. She doesn't need to be told to "check again". (I mean, I think starting first grade at 7 is a little late, but if you all tell me that this is the cut-off where you live I'm not going to argue with that either.)

With that said, it's okay to take first grade a little slowly, no matter how old your kid is. Five, six, seven - they're all still babies at that age. Half a day worth of academics is reasonable.

Lol thank you.

• Like 1

I just want to add, it can be hard for some of us to focus on one thing when being distracted by other things. I'm a 50-year-old mom and I have trouble doing math when people are bla blabbing trying to distract me. Not everyone can multi-task. Your son probably needs some time away from the hubbub if he is to focus on a math assignment.

If you can't manage that during the day (e.g. while the other kids are asleep), perhaps when your dh is home. It doesn't even have to be every day.

At some point you will need to figure out something for the youngers to do so the olders can work.

I realize this. I cant multi task worth a damn either. Thats why I am sucking at homeschooling. Nothing seems to keep the littles busy during school??? I doubt ds is up for school at 6 pm when dh is home. I mean, I just feel this isnt working for us.

OP, I do agree with everyone that less is more at age 5, but I also think there are some concrete things you can do that might help- both now and as the kids get bigger.

- Train the kids to each spend 30 minutes alone in their bedroom.  This can be with books, audiobooks, or any quiet activity.  Start with a shorter time limit if 30 is too much, but really work on enforcing this habit.  Use the one on one time to give a lesson or simply spend a bit of quality time with each child on his own.  

- Work very, very hard on the no interrupting, no whining habits.  Try to stomp those out now.  

- Work on listening quietly to audiobooks or read-alouds.  Consider allowing something like silly putty, play dough, etc, during audio books and take it away the second it is used incorrectly during that time.  

More than any math or handwriting drill, getting them into good habits will make your life so much easier in the long run.  Habit training is a very Charlotte Mason thing, she calls it laying down the rails.  Once the rails are down, the day just runs smoothly on them with only small course corrections needed.  

For active boys, vigorous exercise right after breakfast is probably going to be the best thing to getting your day on track.  They will be more receptive to habit forming if they are already physically a bit worn out, or at least had the worst of the wiggles worked out of them.  

Habits, habits, habits.   Focus on those, even to the detriment of any formal education at this time.  

• Like 10

Well, I am sure this has already been said but I didn't read all the posts. I would...

Have everyone put the box on their head and make sound. Talk about sound waves and ears. Draw waves on a page. Talk about a pokemon that uses sound waves as an attack. Draw the pokemon creating sound waves. Go wash dishes together and count plates, bowls, cups. Make a graph of dirty dishes and how many more plates than cups there are etc.

What I mean is...just go with it. Look at what their workbook is working on today and do that lesson some other way. Deep breath mama. We have all been there and know the agony. I am a structured person that likes plans for my plans but sometimes your best learning can come from the moments when plans are not working.

• Like 5

I realize this. I cant multi task worth a damn either. Thats why I am sucking at homeschooling. Nothing seems to keep the littles busy during school??? I doubt ds is up for school at 6 pm when dh is home. I mean, I just feel this isnt working for us.

Try to focus on things you can do that are educational, yet that can include all of your children. The more you can teach them together, the less scattered you'll feel.

Will they sit still in a little circle while you read them a story? Can you get them to watch entertaining-yet-educational DVDs together? Can you make things like learning letters, numbers, math skills, and reading into group activities? Your toddler may not grasp everything right away... but she might, and she might also think it was fun to be part of "school" like a big kid.

If it isn't working for you, then put them in school.  It's ok if that is what is best for your family.  And no one can tell you what is best for your family other than you and your husband.  (And the one doing the actual homeschooling gets a bigger vote in my opinion.) 

• Like 9

You might be surprised to find that your ds works better alone with you at 6pm than in a room of noise at 10am.

My kids were in B&M school at that age, and we did homework and afterschooling in the evenings.  My kid who needed the most help worked much better for me in the p.m. than during school hours.  The quiet one-on-one aspect was probably the key factor.  My kid knew everything about every other kid in her class, but not enough about the books on her own desk.  :P

• Like 1

You might be surprised to find that your ds works better alone with you at 6pm than in a room of noise at 10am.

My kids were in B&M school at that age, and we did homework and afterschooling in the evenings. My kid who needed the most help worked much better for me in the p.m. than during school hours. The quiet one-on-one aspect was probably the key factor. My kid knew everything about every other kid in her class, but not enough about the books on her own desk. :P

Ain't that the truth. My DS can "work" on a project at school for weeks and have nothing, but given three evenings at home with no other options.... Not to mention, some of my best work has been after 11pm!
  • Like 1

I think about it a lot.

The advantage you have is that your kids are still young. You have plenty of time to see if homeschooling will work for your family.

Please don't think that developing routines and getting organized and getting the kids to do their schoolwork comes naturally for everyone but you. It's a process. A long process. You can't expect perfection when you're just starting. My ds is 17 now, and we still haven't achieved homeschooling perfection. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are being way too hard on yourself. Take a deep breath and don't try to do too much at once, and try not to judge yourself so harshly just because things haven't fallen into place the way you imagined they would.

• Like 9

The advantage you have is that your kids are still young. You have plenty of time to see if homeschooling will work for your family.

Please don't think that developing routines and getting organized and getting the kids to do their schoolwork comes naturally for everyone but you. It's a process. A long process. You can't expect perfection when you're just starting. My ds is 17 now, and we still haven't achieved homeschooling perfection. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are being way too hard on yourself. Take a deep breath and don't try to do too much at once, and try not to judge yourself so harshly just because things haven't fallen into place the way you imagined they would.

Thank you for your kind words.

• Like 1

Cat is wise on this. I overdid school with my first and second and kind of regret it, especially when one was ready and one was not. But if there is anything I've learned over the last few kids it is that if they aren't begging to do school or it is a struggle and tears for even basic skills, it's okay to give it some time. Even if the state says they should be doing ____. I'd start worrying if he was struggling by seven. But he's five. You have time. Especially while you're stressed and pregnant. Sleep and watch movies and read books!

5 years old at the beginning of first grade is totally normal.  Here kids start first grade the calendar year in which they turn 6.  Dec 31 cut off.  So fully one third of the first grade class is 5 years old in September.

Here's the beauty of homeschooling though:  you get to tailor academics to meet the developmental needs of the child.  What other first graders are doing is irrelevant.  What matters is what's most appropriate for your own kid. 

In our homeschool grade levels have a social meaning only. 

• Like 1

I doubt ds is up for school at 6 pm when dh is home.

My husband help with math and/or literature when he gets home during the k-5 stage. It is daddy time while I cook dinner and wash up the cooking utensils. He still helps with things like vocabulary drills now but math and literature is beyond him.

Yes. This is how is birthday fell in our state. So he is 5 a couple months of 1st grade.

Mine was too. And he attended school 6 hours a day. In many countries school starts at 6 or 7 but in many it starts at 4 or 5. Any chance of an enforced play in your room policy for half an hour so you can do maths and a little writing?

Mine was too. And he attended school 6 hours a day. In many countries school starts at 6 or 7 but in many it starts at 4 or 5. Any chance of an enforced play in your room policy for half an hour so you can do maths and a little writing?

Ugh I just cannot imagine enforcing playing alone during school. I have always been an attachment parent type and my babies just like to be with me. I just feel I am cheating them by putting them away like this. I suppose it is good for them, it is just not how I am used to doing things.

No I dont think you are screwed up at all. I just feel I am inadequate compared to others. It seems they do so much more than I do.

They are plenty of posters here who seem to have much more planned, out formal things for their kids than I do. I admit, the former public school teacher part of me fantasizes about such a life. However, that would not suit us/our family at all, at least not at this stage.

You know what?

My kids are growing and making progress. So I am happy.

(Could they make more progress if things were more planned/scheduled/formal? Maybe. But the other costs aren't worth it - namely our sanity.)

So I hereby give you permission to forge that path that works for your family. And it's absolute okay if that includes nothing formal school-like for people who are 4 and 5.

FWIW, some of us who Hs'ed because our tots were eons ahead of the ps curriculum, and whose tots grew up to win full ride merit scholarships to college where they carry 3.9 GPAs, were doing the following formal academics with them when they were five:

Get the point?

They were, and are, ahead BECAUSE we raised and educated them in ways that were appropriate to their development. Research has long since born this out. If you talk to them, read to them, play in ways that will prepare them to learn math and reading, show them the world, go outdoors a LOT, sing, follow good routines, laugh, and feed and sleep them properly...you'll have some of the brightest and happiest kids in town. Probably.

• Like 3

I think you are being too hard on yourself, if I remember correctly you have a baby and are expecting. That's tough without homeschooling. If you want to homeschool, I think you can. If you really think it's not working and there is no chance it will ever work, that's ok too.

What our school looked like changed a lot the first couple years when I had a baby or toddler. I definitely had friends doing more school than me, but I also had friends doing less. My eldest met my goals and that was who I compared him too.

For a year or so, even though I was more focused in the morning, we did school in the afternoon during nap time while baby brother slept. As baby brother got older, he learned to play quietly in the school room. If he got too noisy, he got a warning and then the opportunity to play in his bedroom down the hall. It rarely happened but he did learn how to not be distracting. He actually enjoys having alone time now.

Another method I used was having big sister or big brother play with him while I did a lesson with the other sibling. Some days that's the only way we got things done.

The new school year has just begun and I think if you really want to homeschool, you can learn how to make it work. If you really don't think it's the right choice, you don't have to do it. That is an valid choice. It's ok to still hang out around here even if you don't homeschool.

• Like 1

My kids are morning people. I have a 5th grader in b&m school, and he regularly gets up at 5:30 am to do homework. They are all toast in the afternoon, and pushing through isn't fun.

I also do carpool for that school kid, so we have a hard end of 2:40 to our day, to include a very necessary 1.5 hour rest time/books on CD time. That means book work is done by 12.

I have a short list of necessary subjects, and I reward with a sticker chart when we do that by noon. Very motivating. Very.

It is also magic in our house to read aloud. I do science, social studies, history, etc by read alouds because my kids love that so much. They will sit as long as I will read. You will find what your kids like, too. When you do, run with it.

Ugh I just cannot imagine enforcing playing alone during school. I have always been an attachment parent type and my babies just like to be with me. I just feel I am cheating them by putting them away like this. I suppose it is good for them, it is just not how I am used to doing things.

Okay, that's fine!

If you don't feel like your younger kids are ready for playing alone yet, your option is to reduce seatwork for the first few years, do more of it when Dad is home, and integrate as much as possible with the littles. Short, manageable lessons, especially for the things you can't do with your babies watching on.

• Like 3

You can also wait until after Christmas to officially begin. I've started and promoted at the New Year for my grade straddling birthdays. Or do nothing but a little math every day outside of read alouds and Bob Books or something. Schooling doesn't have to look like school.

• Like 4

You can also wait until after Christmas to officially begin. I've started and promoted at the New Year for my grade straddling birthdays. Or do nothing but a little math every day outside of read alouds and Bob Books or something. Schooling doesn't have to look like school.

You know, that is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

Okay, that's fine!

If you don't feel like your younger kids are ready for playing alone yet, your option is to reduce seatwork for the first few years, do more of it when Dad is home, and integrate as much as possible with the littles. Short, manageable lessons, especially for the things you can't do with your babies watching on.

Yes, dh and I are having a talk. I am going to suggest he works evening shift again to be around to help with school in the morning.

There is no way you can be sucking at homeschooling a 5 year old unless you are not loving him, nurturing him, and/or providing for his emotional and material needs. I know you are A+ at doing all the things I listed even though I do not know you personally. My advice is like others....ditch the workbook stuff until January unless he asks for it and start again slowly then. I thought I was great at teaching since my young 6yo was ahead at everything when I did 1st grade with him. Then my 2nd came along and didn'tt "click" with formal instruction until she was 6.5. Between 6 and 6.5 I thought I really couldn't teach reading and math from scratch like I thought I could. Today my 2nd child is reading a couple grades ahead grade level, and while she struggles with math (her brain is wired to shine more in English related subjects, but she is progressing in math). The time we took a break from formal stuff the fall of her 1st grade year (also a young 6yo, both my kids were late spring birthdays), did not harm her a bit. I did think maybe I made a mistake not putting her in school and maybe she was ruined forever because I sucked at homeschooling at brief moments, but quickly realized that was a silly thing. Even in 1st grade at school there are multiple levels of math and reading ability among students. Also, boys in K and 1st grade do have a generalized history of bad behavior, and I think that is because they weren't meant to sit quietly in desks for long periods of time while listening to the teacher or doing worksheets. I also donat think girls were designed to do that at that age either.

2nd piece of advice: Do not compare with what your friends' 1st graders are doing. I doubt most of them are 5 yo at the start of 1st grade. Also, it looks like public school 1st graders are way ahead of CM style educated 1st graders, but you will see fruit if you trust the process. I am not a hardcore CM educator, but I do see good fruits from doing play and life based math, a tiny bit of copywork, lots of read alouds with a bit of oral narration (starting between age 6 and 7 depending on the child's ability), and free time.

While I understand and respect your leaning toward attachment parenting, 30min-1hour alone in a room is not putting away a child. It is helping them to be comfortable thinking by themselves and for themselves and also helping them in developing their individual imaginations. My kids went from naps to quiet times in their rooms. We still do that every day we don't have errands to run or extracurriculars. We are so attached at the heart. They miss their quiet time when they don't get it. It is their time to tinker, color, build legos, read, write, stare at the wall, or whatever their little hearts desire. Start with 10 minutes if 15-30 min is too long.

HTH and I didn't intend for it to be so long. I am certain several posters posted similar things since it took me a while to write this up.

• Like 5

There is no way you can be sucking at homeschooling a 5 year old unless you are not loving him, nurturing him, and/or providing for his emotional and material needs. I know you are A+ at doing all the things I listed even though I do not know you personally. My advice is like others....ditch the workbook stuff until January unless he asks for it and start again slowly then. I thought I was great at teaching since my young 6yo was ahead at everything when I did 1st grade with him. Then my 2nd came along and didn'tt "click" with formal instruction until she was 6.5. Between 6 and 6.5 I thought I really couldn't teach reading and math from scratch like I thought I could. Today my 2nd child is reading a couple grades ahead grade level, and while she struggles with math (her brain is wired to shine more in English related subjects, but she is progressing in math). The time we took a break from formal stuff the fall of her 1st grade year (also a young 6yo, both my kids were late spring birthdays), did not harm her a bit. I did think maybe I made a mistake not putting her in school and maybe she was ruined forever because I sucked at homeschooling at brief moments, but quickly realized that was a silly thing. Even in 1st grade at school there are multiple levels of math and reading ability among students. Also, boys in K and 1st grade do have a generalized history of bad behavior, and I think that is because they weren't meant to sit quietly in desks for long periods of time while listening to the teacher or doing worksheets. I also donat think girls were designed to do that at that age either.

2nd piece of advice: Do not compare with what your friends' 1st graders are doing. I doubt most of them are 5 yo at the start of 1st grade. Also, it looks like public school 1st graders are way ahead of CM style educated 1st graders, but you will see fruit if you trust the process. I am not a hardcore CM educator, but I do see good fruits from doing play and life based math, a tiny bit of copywork, lots of read alouds with a bit of oral narration (starting between age 6 and 7 depending on the child's ability), and free time.

While I understand and respect your leaning toward attachment parenting, 30min-1hour alone in a room is not putting away a child. It is helping them to be comfortable thinking by themselves and for themselves and also helping them in developing their individual imaginations. My kids went from naps to quiet times in their rooms. We still do that every day we don't have errands to run or extracurriculars. We are so attached at the heart. They miss their quiet time when they don't get it. It is their time to tinker, color, build legos, read, write, stare at the wall, or whatever their little hearts desire. Start with 10 minutes if 15-30 min is too long.

HTH and I didn't intend for it to be so long. I am certain several posters posted similar things since it took me a while to write this up.

So sweet. Thank you.

• Like 1

You know, that is not a bad idea.

Between now and then any progress you make before you officially begin will feel like getting ahead. You can focus on what you are able to accomplish rather than than feeling preoccupied by falling behind. Spend the next few months figuring out your groove.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Between now and then any progress you make before you officially begin will feel like getting ahead. You can focus on what you are able to accomplish rather than than feeling preoccupied by falling behind. Spend the next few months figuring out your groove.

:grouphug:

I think this is great! Spend some time getting routines in place, whatever works for you. And not just kid routines, but yours, too! I'm getting ready to go back to work for the first time since having kids, and I'm laying those rails, too. For example, I'd really like to run the dishwasher at bedtime. BUT, the kids decided to alternate afterschool jobs of doggy care and dishes. So... popping the breakfast dishes in and hitting start is working way better than having them sit there all day so the kids can unload first, then load.

That was longer than necessary. I apologize!

• Like 1

When my kids were the same age as yours, we stayed home and watched Magic School Bus and went to the park and made a mess and did fun crafts and messed around with math blocks and did seasonally appropriate activities in the middle of the day just for kicks and the kids would play with Legos while I baked bread or made dinner in a leisurely manner.

Things get different when kids get older. Sometimes they get easier and sometimes they stay challenging, just different challenging. So, cut yourself some slack. I'm with the others - school doesn't have to look like school. You can teach all sorts of things without it looking like you're doing anything. It is also ok to put your kids in school if you really feel like it is not going to work right now. It does not have to be for always. It can just be for now. It can be until you feel like you have a better handle on things. It can be until someday with the understanding that it is ok if someday never happens because you discover that works better than you imagine.

If you want to continue? Maybe it might look something like this -

Your kids like Pokemon? Today, let's count Pokemon cards. How many ways can we sort these cards? Let's sort them by color. How about by character size? How about by abilities or powers or whatever. Wow! That's a lot! Here's this big sheet of paper, let's make a chart to show how many in each group. Can you do the coloring? I'll do the writing. Little ones, here's your own sheet of paper on the floor by us and some crayons. Math done.

Tomorrow, have your kids make their own Pokemon cards/characters/whatever. They can draw and color. You offer to do the writing. What is their character's name? Can he tell you about his character. You can write that down. Art and creative writing done.

The next day? It's really nice outside. Let's go for a walk! You take this bag. I'll push the stroller with the little ones and stock it with snacks. You look for some really cool stuff to put on our nature table. Can you find a cool leaf? How about a rock? Look at that huge stick! Please don't your sister with the stick. Please don't hit me with the stick. How about mom holds the stick? :p oh look, we're by the park. Let's go play! Science and gym done.

The next day, let's go to the library for story time and the kids pick out some books. You help them find a mix of non-fiction and fiction. Then the following week you read the books while they play on the floor. Sometimes you plan an activity to go along. Sometimes you find a video that matches. You talk about what they think will happen next sometimes. Other times you ask them who their favorite character was. Sometimes they have lots to say and other times they don't. You write down what they say. Call it literature and check that box. Maybe their non-fiction selection was about something history related. Check that box. Or science. Another box checked. Sometimes they draw a picture about what happened in the book. Sometimes eh, forget that.

Worried about covering the stuff? Make yourself a journal and at the end of the day, write down briefly what you did. Have each subject listed along the bottom of a page and at the end of the week, check those boxes. I bet in the course of the week you get it covered.

• Like 2

Five is the perfect year to unschool. Intentionally capitalise on any interest in learning but don't force it. I made my older two do their work every day. My youngest only does it when he wants to but I try to engage with any question he has. At this point his maths comprehension is way beyond theirs at the same age. Google natural math or Moebius noodles for fun activities that teach math at this age. Also if you can find the read aloud revival podcast listen to "how to save a bad day" and "activities for kids to do while you read aloud". Lost of great suggestions in there.

Honestly homeschooling seems easier and more enjoyable now my kids are older. It's worth pushing through the early years I think. But it's ok to do school if that's what you need too.

• Like 1

Don't compare yourself to others.

I'll bet most of us have done it, and that most of us have fallen short of what some other people told us they were doing.

Remember two things....

1. Sometimes, other people lie. And they exaggerate. And they like to make themselves feel better by making you feel like you're not as good at homeschooling as they are.

2. Even if other families are doing far more formal schoolwork than you're doing with your kids, remember that your kids are not the same as their kids. Maybe hours a day of school works for them, but so what? It doesn't effect you and your kids. Your kids are going to turn out just fine, whether they learn multiplication at 4 or at 8. Your kids will be fine if they can't read War and Peace by the time they're 7. Work at the pace that feels right for your own family, and smile and nod when other people talk about doing things differently.

Don't worry! You're doing fine! :)

Yes, people lie.

Take this poster, for example.

She is not a catwoman. She is actually a human being with a great love for cats.

I, in the other hand, truly cannot be sunk. I am supernaturally buoyant.

• Like 4

I haven't read all of the replies.

What about having some special activity that ds4 can only do while it is school time? maybe playdough, monkey string or iPad time.

Would ds4 like his own workbook so he can be big and doing school? Rod and Staff have some very simple kinder workbooks. this worked for me as I felt it was instilling  sitting and working quietly for a little bit of time- a skill that they needed later for more serious school time

I had a box of manipulative etc that only came out when older children were doing school. for some reason my kids loved playing with math manipulatives  and plastic animals. stencils were a big hit here too, as was cutting out car/pet/gardening junk mail and pasting into a scrap book.

I also have a secure play area outside and would place younger children outside with a plate of fruit and an activity. 

First, I really sympathize with the feeling awful during pregnancy.  I just emerged from the nauseous, exhausted fog a few weeks ago.  You forget how draining it is until you're stuck in the middle.  Ugh.  Given the situation and your kids ages, I think it is completely ok to take a very light year, until you feel better or after the baby or whenever.  As PP have mentioned, five is young for first grade, even though it might be the norm in your area.  It gives you room to wiggle.

But maybe take this time to answer you own question: why ARE you doing this?  I don't mean this in a snarky way; I'm saying really fine tune why you have made the decision as a family to homeschool.  You mention being a rule follower, but in my experience IRL and on these boards, many people who are choosing homeschooling are doing so because the rules DON'T work for them. The rules don't protect their child (bullying, allergies, etc), they don't challenge their child (gifted, etc.), they don't serve their child (LDs, SNs, medical situations, etc.).  There are a myriad of reasons from practical to idealogical to necessity why people choose to homeschool.  Maybe really fine tuning your own reasons will help you reframe the "rules" and confidently set your own goals and expectations.  Or decide that PS is the better choice.

First, I really sympathize with the feeling awful during pregnancy. I just emerged from the nauseous, exhausted fog a few weeks ago. You forget how draining it is until you're stuck in the middle. Ugh. Given the situation and your kids ages, I think it is completely ok to take a very light year, until you feel better or after the baby or whenever. As PP have mentioned, five is young for first grade, even though it might be the norm in your area. It gives you room to wiggle.

But maybe take this time to answer you own question: why ARE you doing this? I don't mean this in a snarky way; I'm saying really fine tune why you have made the decision as a family to homeschool. You mention being a rule follower, but in my experience IRL and on these boards, many people who are choosing homeschooling are doing so because the rules DON'T work for them. The rules don't protect their child (bullying, allergies, etc), they don't challenge their child (gifted, etc.), they don't serve their child (LDs, SNs, medical situations, etc.). There are a myriad of reasons from practical to idealogical to necessity why people choose to homeschool. Maybe really fine tuning your own reasons will help you reframe the "rules" and confidently set your own goals and expectations. Or decide that PS is the better choice.

Good question. I will type something about that later.