Menu

Make a difference: Spring Break, Detroit!

ElizabethB

Join me!!

I plan to teach a remedial reading class using my Syllables Spell Success DVD program during our local spring break, the week of 26 - 30 March.  It is on our calendar and funds set aside to travel.  I know no one in Detroit, I picked it because the kids in schools there have the lowest literacy rate of any city in the country, in the single digits.  I don't have a place to teach yet, but there are plenty of people who need help.

I would like to start a national campaign for people to spend their spring break in Detroit, with people using their area of expertise to help out.  Dates:

5 - 8 March: Anyone without a spring break or who can use this week to travel, jump starting the month.

12 - 16 March: Anyone with spring break this week.

19 - 23 March: Anyone with spring break this week.

26 - 30 March: Anyone with spring break this week.

23, 24, 25 March, businesses, non-profits hold a big convention with things to help Detroit.

1 - 6 April: I think this is Detroit's spring break.  Slogan, something along the lines of "Detroit to D.C." where people from Detroit go to D.C. and help out D.C. with the best of what has worked with people helping Detroit during March. People with spring break this week could choose either Detroit or D.C.

If you can't travel to Detroit, there are plenty of schools in every area that need help, people could help out their local schools during this time.

I would also like to develop some kind of free to print remedial math modular program, but will need a lot of help, I still have a lot to do to finish up the DVD for my lessons, I'll start another thread about math ideas.  Math ideas here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/658967-modular-math-free-to-print-remedial-program/

Add your ideas!  FaithManor had a bunch when I was first thinking about this a year ago:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/624574-ideas-for-detroit/?hl=%2Bdetroit+%2Breading

Literacy is more highly correlated with earnings than IQ, so helping with reading can help in multiple areas:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/profitable.html

Add your ideas and thoughts, also any good ideas for slogans or hashtags!

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

What a neat idea. This isn't my season to do things like this but I'm bumping it for you

You can support the hashtags and Facebook posts, etc. that come up, thanks!!

Plus, I eventually want to come up with a list of good nonprofits in Detroit that people can support if they have money but not time or the ability to travel. I will need local help setting up a list, it is hard to know from outside the area what is reallly good and really helping.

Possible slogan/hashtag ideas:

Dream with Detroit

Dare to dream with Detroit

Destination: Detroit

Don’t doubt Detroit

Something with Destiny in it? (I am a big fan of alliteration.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Our Spring Break is April 1-6 as well. But honestly, I need that time. :leaving:

I am actually already exhausted and have been working 7am-5pm days many days so far.

:grouphug:

You do sound like you need a break for your spring break.

I have had seasons where I could not do I much as I wanted, and right now I probably will not be able to teach a local class because of health issues and getting ready for the Detroit class.

:grouphug:

You do sound like you need a break for your spring break.

I have had seasons where I could not do I much as I wanted, and right now I probably will not be able to teach a local class because of health issues and getting ready for the Detroit class.

If my son ends up going away to school, I will probably go down and visit him during that time.  We will have to see.

DH is an accountant.....he isn't going anywhere until after April 15th!

• Like 1