Menu

Anyone use this curriculum? Guest Hollow Biology? or other ideas?

I'm slowly realizing that my youngest daughter isn't doing well with Apologia Science, which is what I've used with my other 2 kids.  She is currently in Physical science, so will do Biology next year.  I really don't know any other science program except Biology.  I came across this one in a search : Guest Hollow Biology www.guesthollow.com/biology

Has anyone used it? Its free :)  And looks great, but I'd like some opinions please.

I have considered Conceptual Biology, Physics, etc.  But I'd like something from a Christian view point.  Any other ideas? Maybe something a little more interactive and lower on vocabulary or with living books?

Bio is where I broke up w/ Apologia. First born endured it, with tweaking. I didn't try it w/ Second Born. We used, again tweaked, Guest Hollow. I am glad to see warnings now about the HeLa book because those weren't there when I used it and I didn't preview it (should have, duh! Language, incest, hospital neglect), but I am a better person for having read it and for "meeting" Henrietta. Please don't watch the movie w/ Oprah in it. She is NOT Deborah!

Second Born liked a lot of the books, not including the CK-12 book, but it served as a spine. 

I liked the mix of videos, movies, and books. Second Born hates science (really, really hates it), but did pass the natural sciences CLEP. Not a stem major and very glad to be done w/ that subject!

Search these boards for threads on GH. There was a recent one I'll look for. The author  of GH is a WTMer, you know! :)

Edited by Angie in VA

we are currently using it with my son, who just endures science.   Does it love it...well, no...but I don't think it's the programs fault.  I think the program is pretty good actually...however we have just started, so I can't really give you more than that.  

We also had a break up with Apologia after I made my daughter use it...we gave up about 2/3 of the way through and finished with Biology 101 DVD's.  I also considered conceptual biology, but I think it would have been  more than what my son could handle.  

So, I hope you get more responses...and I am curious too as to what others might say. 

I'm slowly realizing that my youngest daughter isn't doing well with Apologia Science, which is what I've used with my other 2 kids.  She is currently in Physical science, so will do Biology next year.  I really don't know any other science program except Biology.  I came across this one in a search : Guest Hollow Biology www.guesthollow.com/biology

Has anyone used it? Its free :)  And looks great, but I'd like some opinions please.

I have considered Conceptual Biology, Physics, etc.  But I'd like something from a Christian view point.  Any other ideas? Maybe something a little more interactive and lower on vocabulary or with living books?

Have you looked at the FundaFunda Biology through FundaFundaacademy.com

My "I don't like Biology" child is taking it and he is doing very well, even answering the honors questions which are optional. There is a video component and textbook if you want to read it but don't have too, feedback from teacher and ability to ask the teacher questions( and get answers usually the same day) or post questions on the discussion board.  Quizzes, tests, article reviews, labs with write up (you can choose to do a lab at home or watch the video and then do a lab write up) all graded by teacher, not TA and all have reasonable due dates. None of it is confusing and fairly easy to complete.

My dd is using Guest Hollow biology now.  We use the workbook pages.  We don't do anything to test, which dd really likes, lol.  My oldest two both did Apologia biology which was fine, but I really didn't feel like cram and dump for a test would work well for my dd.  She likes Guest Hollow fine.  It doesn't require a lot of her, but I'm okay with that.  We do labs outsourced locally with a biology teacher with lab reports which helps me feel like it's more credit worthy.

FWIW, the Henrietta book mentioned previously is in the Anatomy schedule not the Biology schedule.  (Good to know warnings, though!)