Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW39: Freedom to read

Robin M

I didn't like The Historian (too much random sudden screaming), but I loved Justin Cronin's The Passage. Cronin is a literature professor at Rice University in Houston, TX and he started the book after a conversation with his daughter - what if a virus causes humans to become vampires and they take over the world. Can one girl save humanity? How do humans survive when they are no longer the top of the food chain? A well-done mash up of many genres (terror, dystopian, science fiction, and apocalyptic), Cronin imagines a world where most everyone human is gone and he deftly walks the line between literary and commercial fiction. The other two books in the trilogy are excellent as well (City of Mirrors made me feel some empathy for the Big Bad), but neither one can match my enjoyment of the first book in the series.

• Like 10

I didn't like The Historian (too much random sudden screaming), but I loved Justin Cronin's The Passage. Cronin is a literature professor at Rice University in Houston, TX and he started the book after a conversation with his daughter - what if a virus causes humans to become vampires and they take over the world. Can one girl save humanity? How do humans survive when they are no longer the top of the food chain? A well-done mash up of many genres (terror, dystopian, science fiction, and apocalyptic), Cronin imagines a world where most everyone human is gone and he deftly walks the line between literary and commercial fiction. The other two books in the trilogy are excellent as well (City of Mirrors made me feel some empathy for the Big Bad), but neither one can match my enjoyment of the first book in the series.

The Passage and it's sequels were last years spooky obsession. I love them all thanks to a recommendation from here. Pretty sure it was Erin. :) Good enough that I will probably read or listen to again in the future. The voice on the audio was the best! ;)

Besides The Historian, I enjoyed Vlad by C.C. Humphries, Dracula The Undead by Dacre Stoker, Anno Dracula by Kim Newman, Vampire's Violin by Michael Romkey as well as cozy mystery ghost story by cleo coyle aka Alice Kimberly The Ghost and Mrs. McClure

Thank you, Vlad is now on my list. I know i abandoned Anno Dracula a couple of years ago so not ready to try again because so many great new choices. I will look further for the others tomorrow.

Ali, another Soulless fan here. I think it works as spooky light. ;) I didn't recommend it to Amy because the second in the series has significant adult content that was a bit much. I love them all including the other related series Stacia mentioned.

• Like 6

... and it reappears! On Middle Girl's dresser. "Oh, I thought that was my Somerset Maugham."

Just finishing up the Ovid, then I'll read it. Before it pulls another conjuring trick.

Better not send it my way. I don't want Middle Girl to be deprived of *her* Maugham.

• Like 7