Menu

favorite apps for grocery lists

Word Nerd

I updated to iOS 11 this morning, and now my favorite grocery list app no longer functions because it's apparently been too long since the developer updated it. I'll be testing out several apps today to see which one I like the best, but I'd appreciate the Hive's suggestions too. (Paid apps are OK.)

Every time we remember something or run out of something we tell Alexa to add it to the grocery list.  Then I can tell her to email it to me when I am going shopping. ;)

Before Alexa I kept trying different grocery list apps and never found one I really loved. I ended up just using Google Keep. It worked as well as any apps I tried that were specifically created for making grocery lists. 

Now I just use Alexa and tell her what to add to my list. When I get to the store I just open the Alexa app on my phone and check off items as they go in the cart.

Flipp. It allows you to add things to your grocery list, then it shows you where it is on sale. You can also scan in your rewards cards and have them all in one place as well as add coupons to them.

I use Grocery IQ. This app saves me so much time per week. You can set it up so that you have different lists and favorites for different stores. You can also enter prices for different grocery items at your store and put items in certain aisles and then organize those aisles.

For example, I do almost all of my shopping at Aldis. I have created a list called "Aldis." In that each aisle/section is a "category" and then I assign food items to a category (dairy, bread, etc.) I add my most frequently bought items to my favorites list. When I'm creating my list I just go to my favorites, click on each item I want to add to my list, and assign it to my Aldis list.

Then 90% of my list is done, organized into the category where it is in the store, and I have an estimate of my total cost. I then order my categories/aisles to how they flow in the store. When I go in the store, the list is organized from beginning to end, drastically simplifying my shopping trip.

It does take some time setting up the items, prices, and categories, but it's so, so, so helpful. You have to edit the categories/aisles online. But they pull up on your phone's app. You can also add family members to send them the list or have them add items.

Edited by duckabell