Menu

1st grade afterschooling!

If you are after-schooling or have after-schooled a 1st grader, what are you doing and what has worked well? How do you prioritize what to focus on? Would love to hear what resources you like and what other families are doing.

TIA!

I have a first grader this year and my son was a 1st grader 4 years ago.

We read books together every night. I need to get better at asking questions about what we read. We use SpellingCity.com for practicing spelling words.  We play the card game War to practice math. I also have the game MobyMax I intend to try starting to use as well.

• Like 1

I used some Singapore Math supplements to augment what the kids were doing at school.  Used C-rods and a base 10 set to solidify math concepts.  We had some math story books that were appropriate for that grade level.  I also bought some supplemental workbooks for the reading program, but these were not so useful.

Can't say I remember everything we did back then.  I know we started using some reading comprehension and "math minutes" workbooks when they were around 6yo.

They read a lot for school and for fun, so I did not consider that after-schooling.  In general they each read roughly 5-15 storybooks per week at their reading level.  For my slower reader, I would ask her to tell me the story in her own words at times.  I did some fun read-alouds e.g. the Ramona series.

They were also taking piano lessons, so they had music practice several nights per week.  They also did extracurricular gymnastics, dance, karate, swim, art, and Spanish totaling 8 hours per week.  One of them was also doing some therapies.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to keep up with my first grader's homework, honestly, so during a typical school week, his school reading gets done daily, his spelling work is done, and he does reading and vocabulary for his second language. 

During the holidays, I give him some Math Mammoth to do, and he practices writing. 

In general, the idea is to shore up weaknesses and to provide challenge for the strengths. That means doing some writing practice as that's DS's weak area, providing lots of reading material (below, at, and above reading level), and doing some math activities to provide a bit of extra challenge in that area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If my kids had to be in school at that age, I would prioritize teaching the sight words with phonics.  The reason I started homeschooling is because of my 23 years remediating children with guessing problems from sight words, here is how and why to teach all but 2 of the 220 Dolch words and 200 Fry Instant words with phonics:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html