Menu

Tacky or not -- settle a difference of opinion

AimeeM

Sorry, I didn't mean to get off topic.  I have no problem buying teens cars and we may do that at some point.  I have a kid that has had a permit for a year and access to public transit so it's been a slow road over here.   :lol:   My thinking on it is more aligned with whoever above said giving a car wouldn't be a squeal fest at our house.  I would want that to be a moment with my kid alone to have a discussion about it.   It's less about gifting and more about setting a more adult tone.  Going from permit to license to provisional to full license is such a long process now, it's not like kid's can go cruising with groups of friends at newly 16 these days (For which I am grateful).

Part of it is just knowing DD's personality. She has been so concerned about getting behind the wheel, that she chose to wait well over a year past the age most of her peers were doing it, to even consider it. We're grateful that she knows her own limits.

By her nature, she is already very concerned, still a bit nervous, and just finally getting to the point of wanting to try. 

We do not have ready access to public transit here. Wish we did, though :P It would save my nerves about this, lol.

• Like 1

Unless your daughter plans to keep this a secret or the girl has said how terrible she thinks it is for parents to gift cars, I don't think it is a problem.

I think purposefully hiding it until she is gone could be MORE problematic ("we're excluding you because you're poor").

Emily

See, I find this puzzling.  To me it wouldn't be hiding it.  It would just be a moment I would want to have in private with my kid.  Of course the friend is going to find out.  It's a family milestone that I wouldn't necessarily want to share with just everyone that moment.  And it would have nothing to do with the background of the friend.  I would think it could possibly just feel awkward to the friend and could potentially change the tone of the visit.

If this friend was the adopted extra kid type that was at your house more than at their own house and you were all super comfortable together, I see that as a little different possibly depending on the relationship vibe.  I'm thinking of most of my own teens friends.  

• Like 2

See, I find this puzzling.  To me it wouldn't be hiding it.  It would just be a moment I would want to have in private with my kid.  Of course the friend is going to find out.  It's a family milestone that I wouldn't necessarily want to share with just everyone that moment.  And it would have nothing to do with the background of the friend.  I would think it could possibly just feel awkward to the friend and could potentially change the tone of the visit.

If this friend was the adopted extra kid type that was at your house more than at their own house and you were all super comfortable together, I see that as a little different possibly depending on the relationship vibe.  I'm thinking of most of my own teens friends.  

But I took the reasoning from the first poster to be that because (and I quote) "Friend may not be getting a car any time in the near future (or she might; I'm just not sure)." it wouldn't be nice to give their daughter a car in front of her. 

If the reasoning is that this is a family thing - great. But the tone of the first post didn't come across that way.

Emily

• Like 3

Unless your daughter plans to keep this a secret or the girl has said how terrible she thinks it is for parents to gift cars, I don't think it is a problem.

I think purposefully hiding it until she is gone could be MORE problematic ("we're excluding you because you're poor").

Emily

We had originally planned it to be when it was just "us" at home. DH just happened into a great deal and it is happening a few weeks sooner than we had planned -- and it just happens to be happening, quickly, over a weekend when we have other things going on (like friends over). 

I think it's tacky to do this in front of friends in general. I feel that more because I'm particularly fond of this friend and I know her situation, but I wouldn't want any friends here for this.

And we aren't hiding it from her friend primarily -- we're hiding it from DD. Because, well, it's a surprise.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 2

But I took the reasoning from the first poster to be that because (and I quote) "Friend may not be getting a car any time in the near future (or she might; I'm just not sure)." it wouldn't be nice to give their daughter a car in front of her. 

If the reasoning is that this is a family thing - great. But the tone of the first post didn't come across that way.

Emily

That was literally one or two lines in the entire post. 

I just went back to re-read the post to check. I very specifically said that I feel it's tacky in general to give large gifts, like this, in front of friends. Any friends. In fact, the bolded question in my initial post asks it generally -- and, as I said, the general question is one I was interested in asking others because it has actually never come up here before, because we don't typically have people over when things like this have occasion to happen.

ETA: this kid is like family when she's here. She folds perfectly into our home and our chaos. She even adores and includes DD's much younger special needs' siblings, who aren't alway easy kids. I will readily admit that doing this in front of her, particularly, does leave a bad taste in my mouth -- because I do love her. And I'm not sorry that I'm trying to consider her feelings in this. This doesn't have jack-squat to do with leaving out "the poor friend." I'm not going to pretend like it doesn't matter to me that a kid I care about, a kid we all care about, is going through a tough time and I don't want to add to that in any way. 

I think others have phrased it in the way I couldn't quite put my finger on. I believe giving a large gift like this in front of the recipient's friends would be tacky in any situation -- but crosses over and into inconsiderate in this situation. And, again, these are just my personal feelings. My husband is a compassionate and kind man and doesn't think it's tacky at all, so I know this is all relative. 

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

Seems like a potentially very awkward situation. What if dd has to stifle her excitement in front of her friend? I mean because of some internal conflict that she feels like she's rubbing the gift in her friend's face if she gushes.

So for both of their sake I guess I'd say wait. And if dd's friend is enthusiastic and excited for your dd later I'm sure they can gush about the car together at a later time. Like when they go for a ride.

Edited by heartlikealion

To answer the general question, I do think there are situations where it would be appropriate (like I dunno, some other occasion that's not a birthday or holiday but someone's going away party or retirement or something. Not necessarily a gift paid for by all the recipients but a situation where they would hopefully be happy for the recipient and enjoy the moment with them). This is one where I would greatly hesitate.

Hope that made sense.

I don't think it's tacky, but I would just want to give it to her with just family around. Not because of the friend at all, it would just be nice to celebrate with just the family. We always do family birthday presents separate from the friend party- just because it's nice that way. If I was the friend, I wouldn't think that you were trying to exclude me.

• Like 1

Seems like a potentially very awkward situation. What if dd has to stifle her excitement in front of her friend? I mean because of some internal conflict that she feels like she's rubbing the gift in her friend's face if she gushes.

So for both of their sake I guess I'd say wait. And if dd's friend is enthusiastic and excited for your dd later I'm sure they can gush about the car together at a later time. Like when they go for a ride.

If DD has any inkling at all that a car is coming sometime soon, then her bestie knows, too. And I'm almost positive she does know it's coming at some point (something she said earlier to DH).

But, we're trying for surprise -- both in the type of car and in the timing. We don't get to surprise her often, because she literally never asks for anything big-ish specifically, unless we ask her for holiday ideas, and then she already knows what we're getting her :P 

Even if this isn't a surprise to her, DH thinks it is and has put a lot of time into this, so we'll go with that.

If I was the friend, I'd be happy for the kid getting the car AND feel awkward about being there for a big family moment that didn't involve me. 

If I was the teen, I'd be happy to get the car but I'd be distracted about being a host to my friend.

I say wait.

• Like 3

You sound very kind and considerate. If you feel like her friend might be hurt and you have somewhere to store the car, there doesn't seem to be a reason NOT to wait. Some kids might not mind, but some kids might. You know her so I would trust your gut. As someone else pointed out, kindness is never tacky.

However life is tough and not fair and all our children will have to face these things along the way. Some friends will have to show up at baby showers with smiles on their faces while they struggle with infertility. Some will have to serve as attendants at weddings wondering if they will ever meet the right person. Watching their friends buy a big new home while they are squeaking by on rent. Watching friends have great family relationships and hallmark holidays while they struggle with dysfunctional families or grief and death. Life is just so very unfair.

But I do think it is really kind of you to consider sparing her one of life's unfair moments. I am not sure what this girl is going through for tough times, but I hope they make her stronger in the end. Most of my unfair moments have shaped my character the most. Good luck in solving your dilemma!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

If DD has any inkling at all that a car is coming sometime soon, then her bestie knows, too. And I'm almost positive she does know it's coming at some point (something she said earlier to DH).

But, we're trying for surprise -- both in the type of car and in the timing. We don't get to surprise her often, because she literally never asks for anything big-ish specifically, unless we ask her for holiday ideas, and then she already knows what we're getting her :P

Even if this isn't a surprise to her, DH thinks it is and has put a lot of time into this, so we'll go with that.

I said I didn't think it would be tacky to have the friend there when you give your dd the car, but if your dh is very excited about making this a big surprise for her, I wouldn't want the friend there for that reason alone -- I'd want it to be a special family moment and not have anyone else there.

• Like 4

I said I didn't think it would be tacky to have the friend there when you give your dd the car, but if your dh is very excited about making this a big surprise for her, I wouldn't want the friend there for that reason alone -- I'd want it to be a special family moment and not have anyone else there.

This is pretty much my feeling as well. Especially if she can't immediately go have fun with her friend in the car, I don't see any downside to waiting.

• Like 2

My personal experience: dd turned 16 and signed up for a driver's ed class with a close friend of hers. The class was starting the day after dds birthday. Friend didn't turn 16 for 6 MORE MONTHS.

We showed up at their house ON dd's 16th birthday to pick her friend up to go out that evening and celebrate dd's birthday. They texted me earlier and said that they would be abut 30 minutes late.

Where they had a brand-new car parked in their driveway they'd spent the afternoon purchasing for friend.

the situation you're describing is the opposite.  the other girl's birthday was in six months - so they bought her a car six months before she could legally drive it - and they went out of their way to give it to her and making you wait to pick her up.  that was petty.

they aren't the same.

I don't think it's tacky, but I see as a car as being more of a utility type of gift.  All of our kids got cars when they were about 16 because they had jobs and it was a help to me to not have to drive them. (None of them got nice cars.  Definitely not the excited, squealing, wow kind of cars.) If the friend happens to be there when the car happens to be ready, it would be more of a matter-of-fact thing in our family.

If this was a different kind of gift that could be given any time, then I would think it was tacky.  

Well, since your dd doesn't even have her permit (learner's license, right? So she can't even legally drive the car, right?), I think I'd wait till friend leaves.

However, I know you said it was a surprise, but I might ask my dd a theoretical question giving the same scenario and see what she thinks. But that is just me.