Menu

I have to buy a new washing machine. Today

Scarlett

Buy a used one that is at least 10-15 years old. Back then people understood that water is necessary to properly wash clothes.

Yep.  We actually found one that doesn't do "low water" washes.  It's a Samsung, lower end. 

FWIW, we bought a washer a few years back that met our needs and specifications, then two years later bought a dryer with a different list.  They don't exactly match.  They're both white, and they both ended up being the same company, but not the ones that were paired together. 

• Like 4

Buy a used one that is at least 10-15 years old. Back then people understood that water is necessary to properly wash clothes.

Ha! Mine is about 13 years old. It is leaking water. Dh says it can no doubt be repaired but he just doesn't have the time to mess with it. We have major work going on at our house right now. When I type that put it seems ridiculous.....but seriously I can't do without a washing machine.

The whirlpool Cabrio seems to have good reviews. Anyone have one?

• Like 1

I do vaguely remember threads. Sorry for repeating a question instead of searching.....I am search impaired.

Oh no problem.  I re-start things from time to time when I know there have been threads, because I have so much trouble finding the threads.  The search feature here is horrible, horrible.  That's why I didn't bother linking a thread because I hate trying to search for them.

• Like 3

We shall see how they hold up he warranted and return info, my service guy is supposed to come out today to see what is up with my speed queen. I loved it before this happened though.

It will be interesting to see how Speed Queen takes care of Arctic Mama and her 3 WEEK OLD Speed Queen washing machine with a seized motor. Will they replace it with a Brand new Washing Machine, or will they force her to go through the warranty process?  Many wonderful comments on WTM about Speed Queen, but when push comes to shove, it depends on how the company takes care of the customer, or, doesn't take care of the customer. Hoping Speed Queen will take excellent care of Arctic Mama...

If you need a new machine in your house, today, you will need to buy what they have in the store and what they can deliver to your house (and install) today. That will severely limit your options.

My wife bought a 14 KG Samsung Washing Machine during November 2015. SHE LOVES IT.    it replaced our Whirlpool Washing Machine, which still works, after 20+ years of hard service, but with issues. Both have a place of honor in our Laundry Room.

Good luck with whatever machine you buy!

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how Speed Queen takes care of Arctic Mama and her 3 WEEK OLD Speed Queen washing machine with a seized motor. Will they replace it with a Brand new Washing Machine, or will they force her to go through the warranty process? Many wonderful comments on WTM about Speed Queen, but when push comes to shove, it depends on how the company takes care of the customer, or, doesn't take care of the customer. Hoping Speed Queen will take excellent care of Arctic Mama...

If you need a new machine in your house, today, you will need to buy what they have in the store and what they can deliver to your house (and install) today. That will severely limit your options.

My wife bought a 14 KG Samsung Washing Machine during November 2015. SHE LOVES IT. it replaced our Whirlpool Washing Machine, which still works, after 20+ years of hard service, but with issues. Both have a place of honor in our Laundry Room.

Good luck with whatever machine you buy!

I am going to Lowes to pick it up and I think they have a pretty good inventory. I don't have to have a match to my dryer but I like my dryer and I like whirlpool.

I just tracked down the cubic ft of my current washer...3.9! Smaller than most.

I can get a 4.8 for $499. Or 5.3 for 989. That seems like quite the jump for not much size increase.

How big do you all have?

• Like 1

Can I still control the water level on these newer machines? I just want a regular top loader....but I don't want one that doesn't use enough water. The Cabrio says it has 'Adaptive' wash technology.....surely I can over ride it.

I can't override the adaptive tech in my 2014 POS Maytag.  I can't even open the lid to see how much water is in it.  They choose the water level, and they don't let you see what it is.  

Whereas my Speed Queen, which I love, has multiple manual water settings, so you can customize your wash the old way, and you can open the lid during the wash and see how much is in there.  (It will stop filling or moving if you do that, but you at least CAN do that.)  Very, very happy with my Speed Queen.  And it's actually cleaning my stuff, which is the actual point of a washer.

• Like 4

I can't override the adaptive tech in my 2014 POS Maytag. I can't even open the lid to see how much water is in it. They choose the water level, and they don't let you see what it is.

Whereas my Speed Queen, which I love, has multiple manual water settings, so you can customize your wash the old way, and you can open the lid during the wash and see how much is in there. (It will stop filling or moving if you do that, but you at least CAN do that.) Very, very happy with my Speed Queen. And it's actually cleaning my stuff, which is the actual point of a washer.

Ugh. I don't think I will like that if I am not able to override water level.

This is stressing me out.

I really want one without the agitator.

• Like 1

The Speed Queen  has an agitator, but they claim that their super-smooth stainless steel wash tubs mean that the clothes are less likely to get caught and tear than in the enamel coated machines.  Also, just in general, if you have an agitator you can use a little higher water level to give it room to work without stressing your clothes.

Also, my POS Maytag is the only agitator free machine I have ever had, and the SALESGUY told us that it wouldn't get the clothes *quite* as clean.  Understatement of the year, that was.

Speed Queen does have a front loader, so of course that would not have an agitator.  I got a top loader but I imagine that they are great at manufacturing good front loaders since their original market was laundromats.

The high end Samsungs have had a teeny little explosion problem.  The low-medium end Maytags are experientially P's OS.  

I am sure that eventually the appliance manufacturers will learn to make reliable equipment again, but until they do, Speed Queen is all I would purchase new.

• Like 2

I needed to do this about a year ago. I ended up with the top of the line Kenmore Elite (possibly 41072 ?) front loader. With Sears bankrupt, closed or in difficulties  ?(? I haven't followed what happened on that. ?) this may no longer be a good or even possible option. But it was very similar to a couple other front loaders by other companies (cannot recall the exact ones)--including whichever was actually making it for Sears. The Elite got slightly better reviews in some reviewing things I saw.  Also the very biggest Sanyo or Samsung (?), was just a tad too big to go through our door. ( I also was trying to avoid companies that were having explosion problems, but that mainly seemed to be a top-loader issue.)

I've been very, very happy with it. It has a huge capacity. It has been getting things very clean (cleaner than my old top loader with agitator ever did) and we live in rural, muddy, furry circumstances, plus ds gets extra dirty with things he does including working on car engines in a class at school (grease), and long distance running (sweat) -- despite people's warnings about a low water use machine not doing that. 

It does choose water level, but I can choose things like accela wash which adds jetted water (I usually do that one), or extra hot, or steam, or ds often chooses express which seems to work well do to small loads quickly. I can choose up to 3 extra rinses, and I can see what is going on via the glass door. I can also push a button that stops things during the wash, and then open door to check or adjust the way things are or add another item.

I usually do quite large loads and make no changes or adds once it starts, because the machine is in basement. Having the big loads possible has saved me a lot of energy and trips up and down.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

The Speed Queen has an agitator, but they claim that their super-smooth stainless steel wash tubs mean that the clothes are less likely to get caught and tear than in the enamel coated machines. Also, just in general, if you have an agitator you can use a little higher water level to give it room to work without stressing your clothes.

Also, my POS Maytag is the only agitator free machine I have ever had, and the SALESGUY told us that it wouldn't get the clothes *quite* as clean. Understatement of the year, that was.

Speed Queen does have a front loader, so of course that would not have an agitator. I got a top loader but I imagine that they are great at manufacturing good front loaders since their original market was laundromats.

The high end Samsungs have had a teeny little explosion problem. The low-medium end Maytags are experientially P's OS.

I am sure that eventually the appliance manufacturers will learn to make reliable equipment again, but until they do, Speed Queen is all I would purchase new.

The Whirlpool Cabrio I am looking at has a stainless steel tub. In general I have been very happy with all of my Whirlpool appliances.

Sigh.

Is water in a washing machine really too much to ask for?

Can some one explain the science of how it gets clothes clean with so little water?

• Like 1

I needed to do this about a year ago. I ended up with the top of the line Kenmore Elite (possibly 41072 ?) front loader. With Sears bankrupt, closed or in difficulties ?(? I haven't followed what happened on that. ?) this may no longer be a good or even possible option. But it was very similar to a couple other front loaders by other companies (cannot recall the exact ones)--including whichever was actually making it for Sears. The Elite got slightly better reviews in some reviewing things I saw. Also the very biggest Sanyo or Samsung (?), was just a tad too big to go through our door.

I've been very, very happy with it. It has a huge capacity. It has been getting things very clean (cleaner than my old top loader with agitator ever did) and we live in rural, muddy, furry circumstances, plus ds gets extra dirty with things he does including working on car engines in a class at school (grease), and long distance running (sweat) -- despite people's warnings about a low water use machine not doing that.

It does choose water level, but I can choose things like accela wash which adds jetted water (I usually do that one), or extra hot, or steam, or ds often chooses express which seems to work well do to small loads quickly. I can choose up to 3 extra rinses, and I can see what is going on via the glass door. I can also push a button that stops things during the wash, and then open door to check or adjust the way things are or add another item.

Ok, this is helpful. I will just have to check this stuff out when I go in to Lowes later.

• Like 1

I have a Samsung I got last year. I love it. It cleans so well and I can control the water level.

Look at the open box/dent area in lowes. They normally have a nice price break.

I will. Last week when we were there buying materials for this windows/siding project there were several out front. Dh tried to get me to look at them but I was not wanting to spend money on a washing machine in the middle of this big project.

• Like 1

We've had 4 washers in the 23 years we have been in this house. This summer we bought a Maytag with a clear lid and plain old knobs instead of fancy electronics. It was the electronic stuff that was breaking on our other machines. 

What I love about this is that it has a deep water wash option, and with the clear lid, I can actually see that the water covers the clothes! Without that the water level was crazy low. 

It cleans well, and is simple. But that kind of thing might not be what you're looking for...we do like three loads of laundry a week so I'm not doing a ton. 

Meanwhile, my gas dryer that I bought in 1992 has never even needed any repair! 

• Like 2

We've had 4 washers in the 23 years we have been in this house. This summer we bought a Maytag with a clear lid and plain old knobs instead of fancy electronics. It was the electronic stuff that was breaking on our other machines.

What I love about this is that it has a deep water wash option, and with the clear lid, I can actually see that the water covers the clothes! Without that the water level was crazy low.

It cleans well, and is simple. But that kind of thing might not be what you're looking for...we do like three loads of laundry a week so I'm not doing a ton.

Meanwhile, my gas dryer that I bought in 1992 has never even needed any repair!

I would love a clear lid and an option of deep water wash. I am going to look for that when I go in.

Edited to add---I love my gas dryer.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

I don't know how they work, but I can tell you that I'm on my second front loader and both are/were excellent at getting stuff clean.

My boss had a front loader and it worked great too....and my mom was recently visiting my sister who has one and she said it worked great.

Sigh. I will probably just have to give in. The other thing is I don't want to have to buy HE detergent. I am perfectly happy with the cheap stuff I use.

• Like 1

Last year I bought a GE 4.2 top loader, from Lowes, originally $599 but bought on sale.

I don't love it. I loved my old GE but after 16 years it had a leak.

pros-

you can adjust the water level (or let it be automatic)

you can open the lid and look inside

it's quiet compared to my old washer

cons-sometimes it washes well, every once in a while I have to wash again because it clearly didn't use enough water. I did a delicate load once, and looked inside--looked like 1/2 inch of water in the bottom! The clothes never even got completely wet during the cycle!

• Like 2

I am going to Lowes to pick it up and I think they have a pretty good inventory. I don't have to have a match to my dryer but I like my dryer and I like whirlpool.

I just tracked down the cubic ft of my current washer...3.9! Smaller than most.

I can get a 4.8 for $499. Or 5.3 for 989. That seems like quite the jump for not much size increase.

How big do you all have?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I just revisited this thread a minute ago and saw your comments...  I looked on the top of our Samsung Washing Machine. It says: "14.0 kg, Wobble Technology, digital inverter motor" on the top.

Our Samsung machine does not have an Agitator. Our very old Whirlpool machine has an agitator. My wife told me that she can put 3 times as much stuff into the Samsung as she could into the Whirlpool.  

She loves it...

If you are comparing 2 machines of the same quality (the same series/model/features/quality) that does seem to be a huge price increase for a little more capacity.   I wonder if those (4.8 and 5.3) are Kilos or what?  (You could buy 2 of the 4.8 machines for the price of one 5.3 machine)

GOOD LUCK with your new machine!

Before posting this, I read your comments again.  I have NO idea about the cubic feet capacity of our Samsung machine. It says 14.0 kilos, which is approximately 29 pounds  of stuff. It doesn't say anything about cubic feet or cubic meters.

• Like 1

My boss had a front loader and it worked great too....and my mom was recently visiting my sister who has one and she said it worked great.

Sigh. I will probably just have to give in. The other thing is I don't want to have to buy HE detergent. I am perfectly happy with the cheap stuff I use.

Are you sure your cheap stuff does't have an HE version? Or if what you buy is for all machines? I've noticed that many detergents now say they're formulated for all types of machines. The Arm & Hammer I'm using currently says it's for all machine types.

Personally I've never understood the argument of not wanting to buy a "special" HE detergent. It makes about as much sense to me as saying that buying your regular brand of shampoo for dry hair instead of normal hair is "special." It's just a bottle (or box) of detergent, right there on the shelf with all the others. So why would one be "special" and one not? (I know you're not saying that, but it's something I've heard frequently that's always made me  :confused1: ).

• Like 2

The thing about not having an agitator giving you more room is technically true.

However, my agitator free POS Maytag requires you to wind the clothes around the outside edges of the machine, and not let them cover the center (where an agitator would be).  Once I had a sheet fall into the center after the wash started, and it wrapped around the other clothes and prevented them from getting clean or even thoroughly wet.  

• Like 2

Our top loading Samsung does not have an Agitator. My wife is on the phone, but I believe that she can adjust the water level. Also, I believe that she can stop it after the cycle has begun, to let things soak for awhile.  We use normal powered laundry detergent. We do not use special detergent for High Efficiency washing machines.  It has Glass/Plastic in the lid, so you can look down and see what it is doing. It is *extremely* quiet when it is operating. 

NOTE: I read more of the responses and there were 1 or 2 mentions of explosions. Yes, Samsung did have some HE Washing Machines that flew apart and there was a Recall on them.  Our machine was not on the list, fortunately. You can/should look on the Samsung web site, or the FTC web site, before buying, to be sure the model you are looking at is not on the list. I think they stopped making the machines that were on the list at the end of 2015?  Our machine was purchased during November 2015.  I seem to recall that LG and also another brand had similar problems.  IMO, LG copies Samsung products and doesn't do much in the way of R&D to develop new things.  

Before my wife bought this machine, her Sister, who lives about 4 hours from us, had purchased a Samsung Washing Machine. She loved it and my wife checked it out when she visited there.

We normally have had wonderful luck with Samsung products (a number of TV sets, this Washing Machine, and my Smart Phone. For that reason, my wife bought a Samsung Microwave Oven...  I cannot recommend the Samsung Microwave Oven to you, but all of the other Samsung products we have are excellent.  

• Like 1

I needed to do this about a year ago. I ended up with the top of the line Kenmore Elite (possibly 41072 ?) front loader. With Sears bankrupt, closed or in difficulties  ?(? I haven't followed what happened on that. ?) this may no longer be a good or even possible option. But it was very similar to a couple other front loaders by other companies (cannot recall the exact ones)--including whichever was actually making it for Sears. The Elite got slightly better reviews in some reviewing things I saw.  Also the very biggest Sanyo or Samsung (?), was just a tad too big to go through our door. ( I also was trying to avoid companies that were having explosion problems, but that mainly seemed to be a top-loader issue.)

I usually do quite large loads and make no changes or adds once it starts, because the machine is in basement. Having the big loads possible has saved me a lot of energy and trips up and down.

The most similar, which made the one I have, is an LG.  I did a lot of asking for recs, reading consumer reports etc. at time. I just found that it was LG by  finding an email from someone who had the LG version and was very happy with that.  Little changes, Accela on mine is Turbo on theirs. And mine has a different, maybe bit old fashioned looking, turn control, but is very easy to see it with the info showing in blue light, I think compared to their more sleek digital look of black digits on grey, I think (not sure about that... this is based on reviews I saw).  The Elite has a thing that keeps door propped open between uses to avoid mold--don't know if their LG does. I think other family may just leave their door ajar.

My family and the other family both have problems with fragrance products, various synthetic chemicals, etc. and have found that their LG and my Elite are very good at removing residue of such things.  I don't really know how it does it without a lot of water.  Maybe the jets, maybe the tumbling action in our case.  They use extra hot  and steam a lot--more than I do.  But I do use hot on loads that can handle hot.  Their family has many kids and they do around 10 loads per day (including all of everyone's bedding daily due to the environmental illness problem) and say that they wear out machines in around 3 years. That this is their second similar machine as it is what they've been happiest with after a number of different ones.

The machine works with the clothes tumbling way longer (except on express) than the old top loader used to do. It is maybe tumbling / washing for around 30 minutes compared to maybe a 10 minute agitate cycle on the old machine plus then rinse time in both cases. And is less harsh on the clothing than the old machine was.  I don't mind large, long cycle loads, if it cuts down on my own involvement time.  Ds is constantly needing his ______ (special jersey, favorite shirt, socks ... ) hence his use of Express wash--which I think is also a hot cycle.

I've never  found that things were not completely wet. The sensors for that seem to be working properly. I also got tips on loading and so on from the friend with the similar LG, so maybe that helps.

• Like 2

I also felt weird about need for special HE detergent at first. But the friends said they got 7th Generation or some other Free and Clear (no scent) HE detergent, and I've done th same and it's been fine.  The new front loader uses way less detergent per load, and fits about 2 1/2 times the amount of fabric as the old top loader did--so over all detergent needs have gone down for me. 

• Like 2

Here is a general overview of available options:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/washing-machines/buying-guide

Here is a list of top loaders without agitator:  https://www.consumerreports.org/products/top-load-he-washer/ratings-overview/

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

We are in the Tropics, so our Washing Machine only has Cold Water available to it.  For *many* years we used FAB Powered Laundry Detergent ($$$).  Then 2 or 3 months ago,  my SIL told my wife that she buys Laundry Detergent in a no-frills store, which is very convenient to where we do most of our grocery shopping (one block or less away).  Way less expensive. ($).  So, I bought a few kilos of that, and my wife didn't think the clothes were as clean as they were with the FAB Detergent.  Then, I bought the more expensive Laundry detergent in the no frills store(they sell out of boxes, no credit cards, nobody to bag your stuff, etc.) store.  A little more expensive per kilo ($+). It is still way less expensive than FAB Detergent.  My wife says that the FAB Detergent cleans about 10% better, but there is no way we are paying that cost differential, for a product that might possibly be 10% better.

• Like 1

See, and having had a front loader for a decade and switching back to a top loader I find the top loader works SO much better. Both my LG and GE were great models and didn't give us a lot of trouble, but they never got anything heavily soiled (especially diapers) as clean. I ran loads twice for almost everything but delicates.

See, and having had a front loader for a decade and switching back to a top loader I find the top loader works SO much better. Both my LG and GE were great models and didn't give us a lot of trouble, but they never got anything heavily soiled (especially diapers) as clean. I ran loads twice for almost everything but delicates.

Same experience here.

• Like 1

I've not had to do diapers on my front loader.  Maybe your commercial speed queen TL would be better on that.  Ma ybe the newer front loaders have improved from when you got yours.  

If I had to wash diapers I think I'd use "sanitize" or steam cycle and "whitest whites" to get them really hot clean.  And I'd likely put in a little borax or vinegar.  What did you set your LG to that did not  work?

• Like 1

I've not had to do diapers on my front loader. Maybe your commercial speed queen TL would be better on that. Ma ybe the newer front loaders have improved from when you got yours.

If I had to wash diapers I think I'd use "sanitize" or steam cycle and "whitest whites" to get them really hot clean. And I'd likely put in a little borax or vinegar. What did you set your LG to that did not work?

The GE was only two years old. As for the LG, I did the hottest water settings, pre wash, extra rinse, soaking, it was nearly a two hour cycle and we usually did it 2-3 times. We did diapers for a decade and stripped them regularly, but it seemed like the front loaders just didn't use enough water to really clean them. But even on normal clothes we often did an extra heavy duty cycle to get them clean. I admit we may be smelly and overly hard on clothes. Who knows? Edited by Arctic Mama

We just ditched our Cabrio as the circuit board went bad twice!  We just bought a new washing machine and I do NOT love it...honestly, I liked our Cabrio better because this LG Invertor Direct Drive top loader with True Balance System that we have now seems to wrinkle the clothes even more than our Cabrio.  Sigh...  But it was getting annoying to have constant F1 messages on our Cabrio, where I needed to hit the restart button 4 or 5 times with every new load in order to get it up and running.  Then, recently, we had to do an additional restart for our rinse and drain cycle, too.

Hope you find one that works well for you!!!

Brenda

• Like 1

I didn't hate my front loader as much as other seems to do.  I will say that it worked the majority of time quite well and with very little soap.  1 TBSP per load was all I needed.  I never used name brand before my front loader but tried it when I got the front loader.  I would by a box of Tide from Costco and it would cost about 27.00.  But that box would last me an entire year (and we do 1-3 loads every single day) and it turns out that it was actually cheaper in the long run to use Tide because it cleaned better with 1 TBSP than my other cheaper brands did with 3-4 TBSP.  

When my front loader died, I went back to the top loader, I was tired of musty towels (everything else was fine but towels seemed to suffer) and having to race to switch laundry (because if it sat in their very long then anything was apt to smell).  Also while I still have younger kids, I was realizing that as I got older, I really didn't want to have to bend down so much to switch laundry (and pedestals aren't an options unless we want to rip up the cabinets above the machine)

• Like 1

The GE was only two years old. As for the LG, I did the hottest water settings, pre wash, extra rinse, soaking, it was nearly a two hour cycle and we usually did it 2-3 times. We did diapers for a decade and stripped them regularly, but it seemed like the front loaders just didn't use enough water to really clean them. But even on normal clothes we often did an extra heavy duty cycle to get them clean. I admit we may be smelly and overly hard on clothes. Who knows?

No. Probably not.  I kept my old top-loader which was still alive, but had to be coaxed along in all its cycles, frequently went off-balance, and had some other issues I am forgetting now, but due to people saying things like this about front loaders.  I figured if I ever needed to let something go through an ultra long agitate and then just sit in soak in lots of water, the old machine could still do that.  

I've so far never needed to do that.  But, I've not needed to do diapers.  

Still, all our ordinary stuff has done great in the front loader we have, and I think, though not diapers, a lot is very heavily soiled.  Kids mucking about in silty - boggy creek looking for frogs and such-- where socks and jeans are a muddy mess type soiled.  Or cross country meets that deliberately go through a mud-pit. And sheets that have been slept on by dogs as well as people.  Post camping clothes, sleeping bags, etc.

Maybe I was lucky in my particular FL.  And as people on here who love their SQ's seem to say, maybe you now have the primo Top loader.

• Like 1