Menu

Math help for a frustrated momma

sdobis

I'm feeling completely stumped right now. My 13yo dd definitely has some math LDs, although she hasn't been tested for any. Right now she is working her way through MUS Epsilon because she just doesn't understand fractions. Honestly, we've been working on them for at least 3 years, and she still asks me, "What's a fraction?" She'll remember how to add fractions for a few days and then completely forget. This is true about basically all math except basic arithmetic. She cannot remember any of it. I tell her on an almost daily basis the difference between area and perimeter, but if I asked her now, she'd have no clue.

I'm starting to really worry with high school next year. I don't know how to move forward. I don't think we've made much progress over the last few years. She is diagnosed with dyslexia, though the only obvious signs of that is her horrendous spelling. I'm at a loss right now. Do I remediate, and if so, how far? What do I use? Ugh, I seriously need some encouragement right now.

I've been remediating algebra with my two older children using Learn Math Fast. It is really easy to understand and the lessons are short. Fractions start in volume 2, but there is a placement test you can take to start in the right level. There are no grade levels listed on the book covers, so you don't have to worry about how far you need to back up. You could probably work through several books in one school year and get caught up to where she'll be prepared to start high school level math. It's not made specifically for students with LDs, but there are many testimonials posted by parents on her site. There is a sample lesson for book 2 on fractions you can try with your dd to see if it would work for her.

http://learnmathfastbooks.com/index.html

• Like 1

I'm feeling completely stumped right now. My 13yo dd definitely has some math LDs, although she hasn't been tested for any. Right now she is working her way through MUS Epsilon because she just doesn't understand fractions. Honestly, we've been working on them for at least 3 years, and she still asks me, "What's a fraction?" She'll remember how to add fractions for a few days and then completely forget. This is true about basically all math except basic arithmetic. She cannot remember any of it. I tell her on an almost daily basis the difference between area and perimeter, but if I asked her now, she'd have no clue.

I'm starting to really worry with high school next year. I don't know how to move forward. I don't think we've made much progress over the last few years. She is diagnosed with dyslexia, though the only obvious signs of that is her horrendous spelling. I'm at a loss right now. Do I remediate, and if so, how far? What do I use? Ugh, I seriously need some encouragement right now.

math is so frustrating!

When she was screened for dyslexia, did she get a full eval?

• Like 1

My dd is like this, down to asking "what's a fraction" even though we've worked on them for years.

TBH, I highly doubt she will ever get to let along through, high school math. (Which means no diploma, which is a whole other can of worms for a different post)

She enrolled in school this year & they're just as stumped as I've always been.

It's so difficult & frustrating to work with a kid who can do the same work every single day but yet the next day it's like she's never seen it before. My dd is stuck at about grade 2-4ish & is in 8th grade. No progress in years.

I don't expect school to be much more successful than I've been, but I'm going to suggest they work through the Ronit Bird materials with her, which we never got to at home.

I'm hoping in high school to focus on life skills stuff- consumer math, money, enough fractions for cooking, price comparisons, etc.

But, my dd is likely not college bound due to the severe math disability. (No work a rounds in our state for math, you must have 3 years of true high school upper math & pass the exit exams for them to graduate)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

DD has also struggled all of her life with math.  She has profound discalculia.  Unlike the reading struggles she had because of dyslexia, which we were able to remediate, dyscalculia is a whole other ball of wax.  Fractions was one of the HUGE areas of struggle.  Nothing stuck or clicked for any length of time.  Now, she finally gets fractions.  As a Junior in High School.  Slowly, piece by piece, fractions/decimals/percents have clicked with LOTS of step by step, small pieces instruction, and LOTS of targeted consistent review over many many years, using different approaches and with NO summers off.  We have made progress in many areas and she likes math now.  She is just on a very different time table than same age peers and some areas seem not to click and may never click.  Where that happens we seek workarounds and scaffolding.  

OP, you might look at the Ronit Bird materials and read David Sousa's How the Brain Learns Mathematics. 

Also, just to try and understand maybe how things look from the inside of your child's brain, you might read "My 13th Winter", written by a woman who has extreme dyscalculia (and is also gifted).  She shares about her childhood.  It doesn't give answers but I found it a very useful read nonetheless.  

And honestly you might want to seek an evaluation at some point.  If your child is dyscalculic they may need accommodations to pass the SAT/ACT if they are going the college route and may need assistance in college.  Without a diagnosis it may be really, really hard to get those things.  But also, an evaluation might give you more accurate answers for what is really tripping her up.  Maybe there is something else at play.