Menu

THE Stitch Fix reporting thread

Ginevra

That's why I went to Trunk Club. I wasn't satisfied with my Stitch Fix boxes. Do you have a Pinterest clothing board? Would your Stitch Fix stylist look at that?

I dont have a Pinterest board. Honestly, I just dont want to mess with it.

I think I need to just bite the bullet and do into some stores.

I dont have a Pinterest board. Honestly, I just dont want to mess with it.

I think I need to just bite the bullet and do into some stores.

What I like about Trunk Club is you get to speak directly to your stylist and discuss the things you like and dislike. It's not just a box of surprises. We chat online and I told her what colors I wanted, what sizes in some things like large in flowy tops but mediums in regular tops. You can say exactly what type of jeans you are looking for. It's worth a shot. I can ask her how can I recommend her if you'd like. I like her a whole bunch. She might work for you too.

• Like 1

Hi, all! I’m stopping in from my hiatus because I have at long last tried Trunk Club, like Night Elf has encouraged. So, I want to talk about that and maybe compare SF with TC.

I have been disappointed with my last few SFs. I don’t think they have such a thing as really warm sweaters. I think their main concept is fun/trendy/new fashion, while I’m more looking for classic, dignified, sophisticated, long-term clothing. That seems to be the main disconnect for winter clothes, as I kept begging for WARM tops and that continued to not happen. Ironically, the only thing I bought from SF was a VEST, though we were just talking in January about vests not making much sense for warmth. The stylist’s comment to me in her note regarding the vest was, “the vest provides depth without being overly hot...†What the HELL does that mean? 😜I’m telling you repeatedly I’m cold all winter long and you send me “depth,†whatever that is, without offering actual warmth! Nevertheless, I do think the vest is beautiful and I bought it. It’s just not good for much in the way of warmth.

I gave up on warmth. I am planning to go to France in March, so I figured I would see if SF could follow some directions on a packable, mix-match ensemble of items to take to France. I figured I have enough time to save it if it fails, but I would see what SF could do. However, right after I set up my Fix for February, I decided to see what Trunk Club might do with the same directives.

SF dragged my previous stylist, Maggie, out of the broom closet; she was the one last year who crushed it a couple times and sent me an entire fix I loved. So Maggie did my France fix and I must say, it was quite good. There was a skirt, a pair of slacks, a button-down shirt, a light 3/4 sleeve sweater and a trench-style jacket. I peeked beforehand and expected to like the skirt, the trousers if they fit, and the trench. I did not think I would like the sweater or button-down. Turns out the trench was too big and not really the right fabric to be crisp like I would want. I liked the button-down far more than I expected. The trousers were absoultely perfect as if they were made for me. The lightweight sweater is far better than I expected and I love it. I bought all but the trench.

So, then my TC arrived. Here was my immediate impression on unboxing: Trunk Club quality is spectacular. The average quality of the TC items is far, far better than the average SF piece. The first item out of my TC box was a long, military style, navy blue coat with rose gold buttons. This coat is breathtaking! I doubt I can wear this in France in March, but I would not pass on this for anything. It is also reduced in price substantially and is not quite $100. There was also a beautiful cream blouse with a long, included scarf that I did not love in my online preview but figured, eh, send it to me, I might like it better in person. I LOVE it! It is absolutely gorgeous. It looks very Parisian to me. Other yeses were: a black Vince Camuto cardigan, a pair of stunning red Vince Camuto pumps, and a black lace fit-and-flare dress. There is a skirt I am still on the fence about; it is stunning, with a pencil shape, but a tier of ruffles at the bottom. Looks like a 50s movie star! I only hesitate because I don’t know how much ocassion I will have to wear it. I actually have numerous dressy skirts but I don’t wear them often. So I am still uncertain on that.

There were other things I could keep from the TC box, but wowzers, am I spending some dough on the yeses I love. I don’t have money left for the maybes. There was a great pair of black Kut from Kloth skinny pants, but since I just bought the black trousers from SF, there’s not much point having both. There was one top I expected to love from the preview; it was a form-fitting black lace-edged tee with 3/4 sleeves, but it was quite expensive. In person, I hate it. I kid you not, it looks like a tube sock - that is how stretchy it is! It is waaaaay too expensive for a top like this; it looks like a Forever 21/ H&M kind of teenager’s top. Another top was a silver choker top that had an open wrap front. Gah! No! But everything else was at least definitely in the ballpark of something I would wear, and very well-made pieces.

My takeaway comparison:

SF Pros:

Things are pretty inexpensive, especially with the whole-box discount.

Limiting it to five things seems a little easier to decide.

The returns bag is a little bit easier for me to return than a UPS box will be.

SF’s outfit idea cards are much better than TCs styling suggestions.

TC Pros:

The ability to preview and comment beforehand eliminates some major no’s right from the start.

The conversation makes it easier to convey what I want and don’t want.

The clothes (at least in my case) are superior quality; it is immediately obvious.

I could theoretically go have something altered at Nordstroms. This was actually a big reason I decided to try it, because my previous SF had trousers that were too long.

Having up to ten items makes it more likely there will be something in there I love.

5 days to decide.

SF Cons:

Let’s face it: these clothes are not superior quality in most cases.

Some stylists seem to have no clue.

These clothes are more trendy and temporary. I don’t think they are meant to be long-lasting classic pieces usually.

No ability to control what is sent as you have with TC.

The fee structuring and discounts make it more likely I will buy something I would otherwise not buy. I’m a little mad at myself for having done that some in the beginning.

3 days to decide.

TC Cons:

This stuff is expensive! I’m legit concealing what this costs because I would be embarrassed to really type it.

The “personal relationshipâ€aspect feels a little pressuring. Stylist makes statements about sending a “follow-up trunk†and I’m like, “Hello? I’m ‘bout to drop a scandalous amount of money on this trunk!â€

Ten things is a lot. It’s both a pro and a con. It takes more effort to decide on ten things. But there’s also a better chance you will like something.

No discounts for buying more things. But also, this doesn’t muddy the waters on whether or not I really want it.

They don’t really have an outfit styling suggestion like SF does. They do show groupings of the items from that Trunk that go together.

I think that’s everything. I am not getting any more fixes or trunks for months and months, because I am so ashamed of my TC expenses! I can’t see getting another TC until the later half of this year at the soonest. And I have postponed any SFs until May.

• Like 9

Thanks for the comparison Quill. I agree that TC is expensive but I don't keep as much from it so I spent about what I spent on Stitch Fix. I also told my TC stylist to keep the costs down. I told her I wouldn't likely spend more than $50 for a top and I think the most I did spend was $54. I have liked the items in the Trunk better than SF and feel terrible that I bought some maybe SF items just because they were in my price range and looked like something I might war. Both tops went into my last donation bag, one still with the tags on it. I've only purchased items from TC that I love. No maybes. I learned my lesson.

I have a UPS store just a few minutes away so returning both SF and TC weren't a problem.

• Like 2

I haven't read through all 7 pages of this thread but I thought just in case someone hasn't mentioned it yet....Amazon is starting service too.

It's called Prime Wardrobe and is in Beta testing right now. There is a link on the Amazon website to be notified when they launch. 

The difference with this one, is that you don't pay first.  They ship, you pick what you want and keep/pay for it, and return the rest. 

• Like 3

I haven't read through all 7 pages of this thread but I thought just in case someone hasn't mentioned it yet....Amazon is starting service too.

It's called Prime Wardrobe and is in Beta testing right now. There is a link on the Amazon website to be notified when they launch. 

The difference with this one, is that you don't pay first.  They ship, you pick what you want and keep/pay for it, and return the rest. 

I don't pay first with Stitch Fix. Do you mean that there's no "styling fee'? 

ETA: I found some more info. on this program. The biggest difference is that there is no stylist - the shopper picks their own clothes. 

https://www.amazon.com/learn-more-prime-wardrobe/b?ie=UTF8&node=16122413011

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

I don't pay first with Stitch Fix. Do you mean that there's no "styling fee'? 

ETA: I found some more info. on this program. The biggest difference is that there is no stylist - the shopper picks their own clothes. 

https://www.amazon.com/learn-more-prime-wardrobe/b?ie=UTF8&node=16122413011

This would be good for me when I know what I want but I don't know what size I need. I can order two different sizes and send back what doesn't work. However, I doubt I'd be adventurous and try on new styles that I see myself because I can't usually picture myself wearing them. My TC stylist will toss in a few things I'm not sure about but there's always something I end up loving that I wouldn't have chosen on my own.

I clicked the link to be notified when the service begins. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the TC review, Quill. I’m tempted by Trunk Club, but your review seals it - not right now! I’m in the lumpy, bumpy 2 weeks post partum stage, so a box of five, cheaper trendier pieces is exactly what I need for a few months. I’m looking forward to the day when I can start rebuilding a classic, quality wardrobe. Just need to lose the baby weight, wean in 18 months or so, and survive a few more toddlers...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just requested another fix for spring/summer clothes and something to wear to a business event that I am attending with my husband. I also asked for a bra as an "extra" item. I'm hoping I like it better than the last bra I ordered online! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Got my first fix! I asked for all jeans and a specific dress that I saw on the SF Facebook group. Didn’t end up keeping the jeans, but the dress is to die for. I’ve seen it on a bunch of body types and it looks killer on everyone. 

DABBE41E-B414-4908-AD72-55F0861CA89A.jpeg

I love this dress!

• Like 1

I just completed my third fix. Each time, it has been the same experience - I love 4/5 pieces but keep all five because it costs less to do that than to send back one piece. I am currently scheduled for one fix every other month, and I think I will stick with that schedule. 

I absolutely love getting clothes that seem trendy. I haven't owned trendy clothes in decades because I am a terrible shopper. 

How do you find out about specific pieces to request? Is the FB group the offical FB page for Stitch Fix or is it a different group?

ETA: And where do I find the photos to show you what was in my fix? Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

When you get the email that says your fix is on the way, you can go to your account and see what is in the box. I copy the pictures from there.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:46 AM, Penguin said:

I just completed my third fix. Each time, it has been the same experience - I love 4/5 pieces but keep all five because it costs less to do that than to send back one piece. I am currently scheduled for one fix every other month, and I think I will stick with that schedule. 

I absolutely love getting clothes that seem trendy. I haven't owned trendy clothes in decades because I am a terrible shopper. 

How do you find out about specific pieces to request? Is the FB group the offical FB page for Stitch Fix or is it a different group?

I joined this group on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/194196637712676/ The members post reveals and the style cards, which are so helpful for making requests (and also just fun). The group also has a pinterest board. You can access your style cards on the app at check out. Just take a screenshot of each one.

• Like 2

I received my fix yesterday. The stylist did a great job matching up my notes and the styles on my Pinterest board, which allowed me to learn that some styles that I thought I would like look terrible on me! I also want to give a shout out to their customer service. I ordered a bra as an "extra," which was not included in the box, but showed up as part of my fix when I went to check out. I contacted them through their customer service link, and they removed it from my box and credited my account $20 to use towards my next styling fee or order. They responded to me within a few hours and had a great, customer oriented response! Now for the summary:

Isn't this color combo lovely? It's right up my alley with my effort to build a capsule wardrobe.

This is the blouse and skirt. The blouse is called "Quin Keyhole Crochet Top" and is from Daniel Rainn at a price of $64. The skirt is "Tayla Pleated Skirt" from Rebel Wilson X Angels at a cost of $98. Pro: The colors fit with my capsule wardrobe, the skirt is fully lined and well constructed.  Con: The combination of the loose top and the full skirt  make my waist disappear. The skirt is going back, more on the top below.

This is the Julie Dillon "Chantell Faux Wrap Jersey Knit Dress" at $78. Pro: My stylist selected it for me because I have some wrap dresses pinned. Cons: It make my waist disappear and doesn't go with my capsule wardrobe as neither color is in my capsule. While I am no a slender person, I do have a waist, I promise. I am not sure if it is the neckline or the full skirt or the combination that is making my waist disappear. I lean towards the skirt because the black skirt above had the same effect. It is going back.

So, yes, everything is going back, but because I learned so much about what doesn't look good on me, it's a success!

Edited by TechWife
Attempting to fix formatting - not totally successful!
  • Like 4

I think the issue is the length of the skirts. The neckline on the dress looks killer, and I totally see your waist. If the skirt and dress ended at or just above the knees, I think they would give you a great silhouette. I cannot wear halter or high neckline styles like that DR. They do something weird to my proportions.

I also think the dress looks good on you, TechWife, but the biggest bummer would be the sheerness of the white tank--the tank would look great if it weren't so sheer.  I have just given up on not having to wear camis under nearly everything, even in Atlanta summers, but it does get hot.    

I had given up on StitchFix a while back, but inspired by this thread, I ordered another box that came about last November.  It was kind of disappointing in that I had updated my sizes, and they didn't make the adjustment.  I did keep two things, though, including a blouse that I loved even though it was too big.  When I noted that in my return, they apologized and offered to waive my next styling fee.  I wore that blouse in heavy rotation all fall and winter, so it was definitely worth whatever I paid for it.  My next box is due at the end of next week, so fingers crossed that it will include the summer equivalent of that blouse!

• Like 1

Well, I got a Wantable box. I am disappointed in the items as well as the quality and will be returning it all. They are similar to Stitch Fix - keep five or more items and receive a 20% discount. There is a $20 styling fee.

Here's the rundown:

pocket racer tank fiesta - the fabric is poor quality and the pocket is not finished, so it will ravel over time. At  $32 is is very overpriced. I could get better quality for a lower price many other places, including Talbots and Lands End.

Pull on trooper cadet - Not my style. I didn't try them on. $119 - again, overpriced.

roll tab crewneck tee - Very comfy, but too clingy. I don't like clingy clothing - I like natural fabrics. Very overpriced for what it is - I can get better quality at a lower price elsewhere. I can't imagine paying $48 for this t shirt.

Long sleeve notch front top - very cute, fits well, except that it doesn't go over my hips! It is also transparent, which you can't tell on the picture. Going back. $68, again, overpriced for polyester.

bar pendant necklace gunmetal/gold - chain is way too short, overpriced. I usually get the same or better quality jewelry on sale at Belk and Macy's for much less - they are charging $50. Going back.

Lace trim sleeve top - $68, synthetic material, way too hot for this area of the country. The sleeve hem is ragged - it will definitely pull out over time. I would never wear it, so it's going back.

Knot neck crepe dress - $68 cute, but very poorly constructed. Fabric clings to every little bump on my body - makes me look pregnant. I really wanted to like it, but it's going back.

I don't have plans to order from them again.

I have another stitch fix box coming on April 21st.

Edited by TechWife
removing pictures to make room
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m posting in this just to revive it back to the board. @TechWife, I never saw this update with pictures in April. I think with the ability to post pictures so easily now, this SF thread could be even more enjoyable to follow. 

• Like 2