Menu

As a woman would you use a single stall men's bathroom?

Ottakee

In honor of "Speak Like a Pirate Day":

[The gender based door signs are] "more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

I used more than a few men's rooms and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  DH and I have traded enough stories about the cleanliness or lack thereof in public restrooms, no one wins. Yuck.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 4

Yes, without a second thought.

At a conference a couple years ago, there was a short break between sessions and as usual the women's line for a multi-stall bathroom was really long, but not the men's. So a couple of men exited their multi-stall bathroom, and announced to the women's line (smugly) that there was no one else in theirs, so we should go on in. A few women looked around and went in, and I joined them. I was among the last of this group to leave and a short men's line had formed as they'd been informed that women had taken it over, so we kindly assured them it was safe to go back in.  :lol:

• Like 1

I have a couple of times, probably. The time I remember best is when women's and men's restrooms were both multi-stall - 8+ stalls. The lights were automatic, but weren't turning on in the women's. 

So I used the men's. It was a side of the road, middle of nowhere scenic viewing place, and the main building was closed, but bathrooms were still open. There was just about nobody there. 

DS ended up needing to use the washroom once I had finished, and ironically, he ended up using the women's. I think at that point, the men's lights weren't turning on, but he had managed to get the lights to turn on in the women's.

Yes

As someone who had to clean bathrooms at the end of the night, I can objectively say that women's bathrooms are grosser.

Women are gross.  Hovering instead of sitting, and then leaving a puddle on the seat, is a completely regular thing adult women do all the time as thought it was socially acceptable. 

• Like 2

Yep. 

Only was in a situation once where this was the other way around.  Where the men's room was slammed, but hardly anyone was in the women's room.  It was at a soccer game in Germany.  And yes, men went into the women's room out of desperation (and it was not a situation of a single stall).  I didn't care.  I thought it was comical. 

Sure. Usually I'll just wait, but for various reasons I've used the men's over the years. And, my experience is that the men's room in most places isn't any dirtier than the women's overall.

Honestly, single stall restrooms should all just be inclusive anyway. If there needs to be labeling, label them as "with urinal" and "without urinals" or "with changing table" and "without changing table" or whatever other special features they've got.

• Like 4

Yes, and it doesn't require a long line, just a locked ladies room and a desperate need. 

Men's restrooms are almost always dirtier and smellier than the women's at the same location, but I think a lot of the odor comes from the urinal which I stay as far away from as possible! :svengo:

Honestly, single stall restrooms should all just be inclusive anyway. If there needs to be labeling, label them as "with urinal" and "without urinals" or "with changing table" and "without changing table" or whatever other special features they've got.

I agree, but building regulations need to be updated. When our church was remodeling it was required that our two single-person restrooms be labelled as men's and women's. We did that to pass inspection and then promptly removed the gender signs.

• Like 1

To me, single stall with a lock = unisex/family bathroom.  And really, why can't all single stall bathrooms just be family bathrooms?  Urinal, changing table, toddler seat, (ETA: the toilet proper and sink are a given).  Bam.  I get cost and coding, just my little "if I had a magic wand" thing.  I don't do super smelly/dirty/buggy bathrooms, though.  I will go somewhere else.  On a camping trip, this has meant the woods (ironically).  

And in defense of the guys, here's a short poem:

No matter how you shake and dance,

the last two drops go in your pants.  

You're welcome.   ;)

Edited by CES2005

I read an article a few years ago about the increase in changing tables in the men's room. One of the people they spoke to, who sells changing tables, said that when he gets an order for just one changing table he asks "Oh, but where are the mothers supposed to change their babies?"

Apparently that works!