Menu

As a woman would you use a single stall men's bathroom?

Ottakee

Just wondering as we are traveling and often the single women's bathroom (just one room with 1 toilet) has a line while the men's is empty.

Would you just use the men's one provided it was a single stall and the door had a secure lock? Also assuming it is right next to the women's one in public view.

If there's a line for women's but not men's, sure.

I've also been known to go into a single-stall men's and take a roll of toilet paper to stock the women's room if it's out.  Often there's a stack in the men's room and nothing in the women's.

I wish they would just switch all of them to unisex.  Single stall one gender or the other is just silly and inefficient.

• Like 13

I can wait, but when I have been traveling alone with younguns who can't wait, I have definitely done it.

I could have waited too.....but why? Why wait in a line when there is an empty identical (other than the sign that says Men or Women) restroom next to it?

• Like 5

Sure.  I've done that plenty of times.  It's just a sign.  I admit, I wash my hands extra hard in there.  :lol:  I've always thought it was stupid they would label single stalls by gender.  What difference does it make?

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 3

Yep! Have and would again if I couldn't wait. 

My family will never forget when we were at a Chipotle and I had to go so badly. I went into the men's room. While in there, a man tried the door. In the deepest voice I could muster I said, "One minute." I finished up, washed my hands, opened the door, and walked right out like I owned the place, but I was careful to avoid eye contact w/ the guy who was waiting. ;)

• Like 2

No, I wouldn't unless it was an emergency.

My stepmother ushered my sister and I into a men's room once after making sure it was empty.  She then guarded the door for us.

I won't use a men's room now, mostly because I'm a rule follower.  However, there is a teeny tiny part of me that refuses to do so because my stepmother would have wanted me to.

Of course, if there is a lock to outside door and unless it looks or smells gross. Actually, if there is no wait and the women's single restroom looks gross, I will go to the empty men's instead . I don't really get why single stall restrooms with door locks aren't all unisex anyway except for the men to know which one has a urinal.

• Like 1

I could have waited too.....but why? Why wait in a line when there is an empty identical (other than the sign that says Men or Women) restroom next to it?

This may be a dumb reason but sometimes the women's bathroom has a small receptacle for feminine products close by the toilet.

I am usually more concerned about pee on the floors in the men's room than women's. Women's stalls seem more likely to have urine on the seats, though.

• Like 1

Yep! Have and would again if I couldn't wait.

My family will never forget when we were at a Chipotle and I had to go so badly. I went into the men's room. While in there, a man tried the door. In the deepest voice I could muster I said, "One minute." I finished up, washed my hands, opened the door, and walked right out like I owned the place, but I was careful to avoid eye contact w/ the guy who was waiting. ;)

I was in the ladies once at Target, and a guy came out of the stall and started washing his hands... and then looked around horrified at all the women when he realized he'd gone in the wrong bathroom lol Edited by wonderchica
  • Like 6

This reminds me of one day I was grocery shopping. This store had an elderly, Im talking late 80s man working there. I walked into the womens room and he was standing at the sink washing his hands. I poked my head out to see if I went to the wrong restroom by mistake. He saw my reaction and said no honey your in the right one and walked on out. ooooook I was never sure what to make of that one lol.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

Yes.

One bus trip with mostly women on it, we stopped at a gas station and most of us had to pee. Rather than all wait for the single woman's room, we stood in two lines in front of both bathrooms, using both. A man came up and smugly made to open the Men's room door - only to be told to "get in line". Being out-numbered, he did. A toilet is a toilet.

• Like 2

In a heartbeat. I assume single stall bathrooms are unisex, whatever the sign says - maybe the store found it was cheaper to get a twopack rather than two unisex signs.

And if I really had to go, or had a child who had to go, I'd have no qualms about entering the men's room with stalls. I mean, I'd call out before I did, but I'm not going to get a UTI over this, and I'm not going to let my kid wet themselves.

The fact is, women need to use the toilet more frequently than men. We have smaller bladders even when we are NOT pregnant, we menstruate - and we're a lot more likely to be toting around small children, which makes our lines longer*. If whoever put in the plumbing didn't bother to divide the toilets up fairly, because it was easier to give each bathroom the same number of stalls, that's not my fault, and that's not my problem.

* Well, I guess most of that doesn't apply to transgender women, but they've got worse bathroom problems in a lot of places, so it still sucks.

This reminds me of one day I was grocery shopping. This store had an elderly, Im talking late 80s man working there. I walked into the womens room and he was standing at the sink washing his hands. I poked my head out to see if I went to the wrong restroom by mistake. He saw my reaction and said no honey your in the right one and walked on out. ooooook I was never sure what to make of that one lol.

Maybe he was washing his hands after cleaning it?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've used both and see no problem.

I also don't get why women think theirs is so much cleaner. So many women's bathrooms have been just as bad, if not worse, than the men's rooms I've gone in.

Very few public bathrooms have been pleasant and I feel people care way too much about where others go.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who is reading this thread and feeling happy that so many women are using the men's room because it means shorter lines at the ladies room for the rest of us? ;)

We live to serve, ma'am. 

This may be a dumb reason but sometimes the women's bathroom has a small receptacle for feminine products close by the toilet.

Just carry that on out to the trashcan, no worries. 

• Like 3