Menu

Dual enrollment and 529 plans

From IRS Publication 970, chapter 6 seems to indicate that yes, a dual-enrolled student is eligible for the tuition deduction:

For purposes of the tuition and fees deduction, an eligible student is a student who is enrolled in one or more courses at an eligible educational institution

But later on in that same publication, chapter 8 seems that, at least to take the American Opportunity Credit, the student must be enrolled at least half-time and working toward a defined course of study at the college:

Half-time student.   A student is enrolled “at least half-time†if he or she is enrolled for at least half the full-time academic workload for the course of study the student is pursuing, as determined under the standards of the school where the student is enrolled.

Your 529 Questions Answered says that while the IRS is explicit about what 529 monies can be used for (qualified educational deductions), it is not clear about who is an eligible student -- which opens the door for using the funds for dual enrollment of high school students.

We ended up paying for the much lower dual enrollment tuition costs out of pocket and saved the 529 money to earn interest for a few more years and used it for helping with the very high costs of the 4-year university. YMMV. :)
Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

We have used the 529 for de. At the time I researched it I guess I was convinced it was okay. We also claimed the tuition and fees deduction for the de student while claiming the American Opportunity Credit for our four year full time university student.

We used tax software that walked us through it and it seemed to be appropriate.