Menu

That one casserole dish your family likes...

Peaceseeker

Ok I know most people say they dislike freezer cooking and casseroles, etc. Most of my freezer cooking is just parts of meals or meal starters, but I would love a few freezer to oven meals to add in my rotation. We don't eat a ton of casseroles, but my family does eat a spaghetti casserole that my mother in law makes them, so I have added that in.

I have tried Shephards pie and lasagna but only half my family eats either so they are a bust- I need 3 out of 4 likes to make it into my rotation, lol...I have a couple of freezer to crock pot meals like chili and pot roast but I am actually looking for freezer to oven ideas. So that at 4:00 when someone says what is for dinner, there is a back up plan besides cheese quesadillas or frozen pizza.

So do you have a favorite family casserole or one dish meal in your recipes that is kid friendly and mom approved? Would you share it here?

The only one dish meals we like are lasagna and soup. Soups freeze well.

I have not found freezer-to-oven to be a huge time saver. By the time the food has thawed and heated in the oven, I have cooked a fresh meal from scratch. But soups, they get better in the freezer :)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I don't make full freezer meals, but I do cook meat ahead of time.  I try to have a bag of cooked ground beef ready to add to any recipe that needs it.  I often freeze cooked chicken pieces, too, for a quick thaw in the microwave while I pull out some salad and bread.

• Like 2

I don't make freezer meals, but one quick things that we like at our house is:

Cabbage, carrots, onions, and Kielbasa (add potatoes if you want), plus about 1/3 of a cup of water.  Cover tightly and put on medium for about 20 minutes so it all steams and the cabbage tastes kielbasa-y.  (Don't bother telling me that Kiebasa-y is not a word, I know).

• Like 6

Cabbage, carrots, onions, and Kielbasa (add potatoes if you want), plus about 1/3 of a cup of water. Cover tightly and put on medium for about 20 minutes so it all steams and the cabbage tastes kielbasa-y. (Don't bother telling me that Kiebasa-y is not a word, I know).

Whoa that is seriously appealing to my pregnant appetite right now.

Whoa that is seriously appealing to my pregnant appetite right now.

It's super easy, cheap, and full of veggies.  

I guess people need to make their own decisions about how they feel about the nitrates in the kielbasa, or buy the uncured stuff at whole foods.  

My family likes Taco Corn Bake. I make the meat mixture ahead of time, and then just make up the corn bread topping before I pop it in the oven.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/corn-bread-taco-bake

Spaghetti Pie (there are many versions online, I didn't find my exact one though)

This one the kids liked; DH and I not so much. I used my own "Cream of" soup base instead of the canned stuff though.  http://www.30daygourmet.com/cheeseburger-fries-delight/

Most of us will eat Hawaiian Kielbasa (this recipe is very similar to the one I use). Just dump all ingredients in a freezer bag and then dump in crockpot.  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hawaiian-kielbasa

Almost everyone here will eat Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf. http://www.whatscookinchicago.com/2010/06/chicken-parmesan-meatloaf.html

• Like 2

Cabbage, carrots, onions, and Kielbasa (add potatoes if you want), plus about 1/3 of a cup of water. Cover tightly and put on medium for about 20 minutes so it all steams and the cabbage tastes kielbasa-y. (Don't bother telling me that Kiebasa-y is not a word, I know).

Kielbasa-y is absolutely a word. At least it is now. :)

• Like 4

Cabbage, carrots, onions, and Kielbasa (add potatoes if you want), plus about 1/3 of a cup of water.  Cover tightly and put on medium for about 20 minutes so it all steams and the cabbage tastes kielbasa-y.  (Don't bother telling me that Kiebasa-y is not a word, I know).

Because I want to make this right now - medium what? Temp In the oven or setting on a stove?  And thank you for solving my dinner dilemma.

• Like 1

Frozen burritos can be personalized by person and are a full meal by themselves. So what if Sally only likes chicken, cheese, and rice in hers? Mom and dad can still have peppers and spiciness without it causing a riot. These are also a good backup for the night you really want something that one person will not eat. Throw them a bland burrito and have that chicken tikka masala that you absolutely deserve.

Chicken pot pie is good too.

I get what Regentrude is saying about it not being faster, but some days it's nice to reduce your hands-on time to the one minute it takes unwrap something and pop it in the oven. Those freezer-to-table meals are great when you're at home, but still crazy busy OR for when you like to premeditate your laziness.

• Like 5

Well I just mentioned to my kids about getting more casserole recipes for the days I forgot to thaw something and didn't want to run to the store to figure out dinner. My son said I had better get a lot of recipes because that was pretty much all the time.😒

Thanks kid. I swear I used to be more on top of things but these days it just seems like go, go, go all the time. I can't catch up!

• Like 2

I am a big fan of casseroles. Most everyone here likes them too, except for ds6, who doesn't care for his food being mixed up.

One of my favorites includes shredded chicken, celery, rice and water chestnuts mixed with cream of chicken soup and a little mayo and topped with crumbled crackers. It freezes great and is perfect for when we have leftover chicken (or turkey, but don't tell dh because he hates turkey!).

• Like 1

I think most casserole recipes make too much food, and we get tired of them from there bing lots of leftovers hanging around too long. So I went for years of not making casseroles.

Now I am thinking of making them and dividing the recipes 4 ways, one for us at home and the others to send home with my penny pinching young adults - right sizes for everyone!

• Like 2

Not casserole, but my family loves these. I make a big batch and freeze a bunch (lay them out on a cookie sheet to freeze, then pop in a freezer bag). They bake up beautifully from frozen and are nice for a quick dinner:

http://ourbestbites.com/2014/07/baked-creamy-chicken-taquitos/

I also make this:

http://ourbestbites.com/2009/08/southwestern-beef-wraps/

It makes a ton, so I'll freeze half for later or make these with the leftovers:

http://ourbestbites.com/2009/06/baked-chipotle-beef-taquitos/

On days when I have more time to cook, I make big batches of spaghetti sauce, chili or soup and put away some in the freezer. I find a double batch of most soups stretches to three dinners for my family and it's really not much extra effort to make twice as much. It's easy to throw a chunk of frozen soup in the crockpot in the afternoon and let it thaw and warm. I keep a bag of frozen Costco meatballs and pasta on hand so I can always throw a spaghetti and meatballs dinner together at the last minute. We usually have taco fixings here too, so it's a matter of browning/seasoning some ground beef and pulling tortillas and toppings out of the fridge.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

Haven't tried it with the family yet, but a girlfriend of mine (this is apparently a Southern thing) makes a chicken spaghetti with rotel. I had it at her home and I really liked it. Ds said it was okay and I think dd ate a couple bites (the kids were with me). Dh prefers the alfredo sauce version, but I do not like alfredo. Dh doesn't really like casseroles which is a bummer because I like casseroles. I'm into chicken/rice/veggie casseroles. I think dh might make an exception for a breakfast casserole, though.

I would like to figure out a good breakfast dish to make in advance that we could all agree on. Everyone in this family likes eggs, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I have one- Tater Tot casserole- You cook a lb of ground beef, add a package of frozen mixed veggies, a can of tomato sauce, and a bag of shredded cheese. Put that in a 9x13 pan and put a layer of tater tots on the top. Bake until the tater tots are done. Everyone will eat it and it has veggies!

• Like 1

My veggie lasagna and veggie tamales pie don't always get thawed before going into the oven. I just add extra time.

Casseroles save me time because the oven can be set to start cooking while I am still picking people up or dropping people off at activities around town. Prepping meals from scratch requires time specifically in the kitchen prior to eating, and also interest in doing so which often runs low by Tuesday night.

Enchiladas, King Ranch chicken (I make it with corn tortillas cause mushy flour ones...no), taco meat to make nachos or burritos, and this sausage cornbread I make. It's Mexican cornbread with a pound of crumbled sausage and a package of frozen blackened peas (cooked). My kids love that.

Oh, the other posters reminded me, I used to make a chicken enchilada recipe from the Better Homes & Garden cookbook that everybody loved.  I have no idea how well it would freeze (had cream cheese in it), but it was a favorite.  I haven't made it in maybe five years.  I think I'll make it this weekend. :)

Here's the recipe.  No idea how they only use a 3 oz package of cream cheese, we always used more and upped the spices, etc.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-enchiladas/

Chicken bacon ranch casserole.  Honestly, it's the only actual casserole I make anymore, and yes, it uses cream soup.  lol

No recipe, just bake some tater tots or crispy crowns most of the way and then line your 9x13 baking dish with them. (Probably need to reduce oven temp from 425 or so to 375.)  Mix 2 cans cream of chicken soup (or whatever combo you like) plus a cup or so of sour cream, 1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix, about 2 cups shredded cheese, and bacon pieces.  Throw in leftover shredded chicken and pour over tater tots.  Bake at 375, covered, for 40 minutes, uncover and bake another 10-15 or so.

Chicken broccoli casserole is a big hit here. My 5 year old even requested it for her birthday meal lol! I've also used diced zucchini instead of the broccoli and that's gone over well too.

Grease a 9x13 pan. Cook 4 servings of rice according to package directions and spread in bottom of pan. Mix together broccoli or zucchini, cooked diced chicken, 1/2 cup Mayo, 1 can cream of whatever you have on hand soup, a handful of shredded cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Spread over rice. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk