Menu

poverty and protective services

mtomom

To bring it all back around though, these and other low wage jobs that get others' needs met are being done by people who need food, housing, clothing, health care, etc. If we (not only employers, but end users) want their labor, we should want their needs met.

Nobody said they didn't want their needs met.

If your point is that UBI payments are required in order for these people's needs to be met, then we disagree on that.

• Like 1

Nobody said they didn't want their needs met.

If your point is that UBI payments are required in order for these people's needs to be met, then we disagree on that.

I don't have an official opinion on UBI yet.  Only the knowledge that these people need a living wage or a tax supported supplement that doesn't audaciously choose what kind of milk they're worthy of drinking.

• Like 1

Most of the higher income people I know and wealthy people I know are very generous in both donations and time spent on helping the community.  None of them seem focused on material things.  I know these people from church and none seem to have had bad things happening to them because of their money.  They may have had bad things happen, like one of them had a son die of cancer, but it has nothing to do with how much money they have. 

As to people getting their just due as employees, both my dh and my daughter are working for employee owned companies.  My favorite grocery store is also employee owned.  My dh specifically choice his employer because it was employee owned.  They offered 5K less salary than the non locally owned company that was not employee owned but he thought he would be happier at the employee owned company.  He has been very happy there and my daughter is liking her company too.

• Like 1

Most of the higher income people I know and wealthy people I know are very generous in both donations and time spent on helping the community. None of them seem focused on material things. I know these people from church and none seem to have had bad things happening to them because of their money. They may have had bad things happen, like one of them had a son die of cancer, but it has nothing to do with how much money they have.

As to people getting their just due as employees, both my dh and my daughter are working for employee owned companies. My favorite grocery store is also employee owned. My dh specifically choice his employer because it was employee owned. They offered 5K less salary than the non locally owned company that was not employee owned but he thought he would be happier at the employee owned company. He has been very happy there and my daughter is liking her company too.

I would never dream to suggest a wealthy persons child has cancer bcause the parents focused on wealth.

However, one of the things that causes divorce is money problems. And it isnt just lack of money. It takes time and energy to build wealth. Usually. And that takes away from family. Usually. It really isn't a far fetched concept.

I find it interesting that so many of you know wealthy people who have no issues. I know a lot of wealthy people. Many of them are fine now. But if you know their history and look back you can see where things broke down.

I would never dream to suggest a wealthy persons child has cancer bcause the parents focused on wealth.

However, one of the things that causes divorce is money problems. And it isnt just lack of money. It takes time and energy to build wealth. Usually. And that takes away from family. Usually. It really isn't a far fetched concept.

I find it interesting that so many of you know wealthy people who have no issues. I know a lot of wealthy people. Many of them are fine now. But if you know their history and look back you can see where things broke down.

I don't know many people's net worth or exact income, but I know that the people around me cover a very wide range from no personal income sources to multimillionaires (assumed by their businesses' revenue and the material things they own.)  They ALL have problems.

I don't know many people's net worth or exact income, but I know that the people around me cover a very wide range from no personal income sources to multimillionaires (assumed by their businesses' revenue and the material things they own.) They ALL have problems.

I am not being understood so I am going to stop after this, but I am not talking about ' problems'. Yes we all have problems.

I am talking about what happens to people when their focus becomes financial. Other areas of ones life suffer. And specifically important to me is that my relationships with God and family do not take a lesser place than an education, career, or money.

I am not being understood so I am going to stop after this, but I am not talking about ' problems'. Yes we all have problems.

I am talking about what happens to people when their focus becomes financial. Other areas of ones life suffer. And specifically important to me is that my relationships with God and family do not take a lesser place than an education, career, or money.

I do get what you're saying for yourself, as an individual.  I have somewhat similar beliefs, minus the religious aspect.  But I also believe that money becomes the easy thing to point to when the issues are actually much deeper, but harder to identify and verbalize. 

• Like 2

Well no offense, but as my mom was raised in a JW family, we have seen multiple families destroyed by too much focus on "the work" i.e. spending large amounts of time "witnessing" instead of being with the family.

In other words, too much focus on anything, to the detriment of other important things, is not good.  Why pick on wealth?  According to psychological theories, for most people, the focus on material needs / wants wanes as the basic material needs are met.  Then they usually focus on non-material interests.  The exceptions are often people who have had problems in the past and can't get past them.  For example, a lot of people who lived through the Depression were hoarders as adults.  Their children who had enough are not.  (In general - of course there are exceptions.)

Of course I don't want my kids to grow up greedy, but I don't think I need to teach them to fear wealth, because I don't think wealth creates greed.  Maybe it seems that way because the most famous examples of greedy people happen to be wealthy.

• Like 1

Well no offense, but as my mom was raised in a JW family, we have seen multiple families destroyed by too much focus on "the work" i.e. spending large amounts of time "witnessing" instead of being with the family.

In other words, too much focus on anything, to the detriment of other important things, is not good.  Why pick on wealth?  According to psychological theories, for most people, the focus on material needs / wants wanes as the basic material needs are met.  Then they usually focus on non-material interests.  The exceptions are often people who have had problems in the past and can't get past them.  For example, a lot of people who lived through the Depression were hoarders as adults.  Their children who had enough are not.  (In general - of course there are exceptions.)

Of course I don't want my kids to grow up greedy, but I don't think I need to teach them to fear wealth, because I don't think wealth creates greed.  Maybe it seems that way because the most famous examples of greedy people happen to be wealthy.

The bolded is a ridiculous statement considering that 'witnessing' is an activity that families do together. 

But yes, I agree balance and moderation in life is key.

And I am not picking on wealth.  It is the topic at hand.  Thus my comments about it.