Menu

Anyone have any experience with this?

Remudamom

Depends on what you would consider successful?

Rehab for him? Likely will only happen if he is recognizing he has a problem, then gets the ball rolling himself. Is he around your mother's age and could a form of dementia play a role? Has the drinking started later in life or did he start young?

Getting your mother out of the situation? If she is looking to separate, and if you have the space you can give her a refuge for while.

If neither is the case or goal, you could contact Elder Abuse or a social worker. Since I don't believe we are in the same state, I could not be certain what resources you have available since these type of things tend to vary.

Do you know why your mother stays? What is she getting from him, i.e. financial support, companionship or is she afraid to make any changes at this stage in her life?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

Update- Thanks, Liz!!

I think she stays with him because she doesn't want to be alone.  Personally I think she is still in love with my dad.  They divorced after 35 years because of all his affairs, totally different drama.  Anyhow, she was warned by friends and family not to get involved with this loser but she hates to live alone.  In her town there are two sons and one daughter but they are pretty worthless when it come to spending time with her.  I get it, they have kids and they are busy but come on guys.....it's mom.  My sister and I,  who would take care of her live 8 and 11 hours away.  

Anyhow, she told him he could not come home.  He's presently in the hospital because he was so drunk my mom thought he was having a  stroke and called 911.  She is very depressed and lonely.  Sis and I are trying to arrange a visit with her (and her damn dachshunds)  to distract her.  I have plenty of room and time for her but she HATES the country.  She might visit but I can't see her relocating.

So, I guess we'll just take it day by day and hope for the best.

• Like 3

Update- Thanks, Liz!!

I think she stays with him because she doesn't want to be alone.  Personally I think she is still in love with my dad.  They divorced after 35 years because of all his affairs, totally different drama.  Anyhow, she was warned by friends and family not to get involved with this loser but she hates to live alone.  In her town there are two sons and one daughter but they are pretty worthless when it come to spending time with her.  I get it, they have kids and they are busy but come on guys.....it's mom.  My sister and I,  who would take care of her live 8 and 11 hours away.  

Anyhow, she told him he could not come home.  He's presently in the hospital because he was so drunk my mom thought he was having a  stroke and called 911.  She is very depressed and lonely.  Sis and I are trying to arrange a visit with her (and her damn dachshunds)  to distract her.  I have plenty of room and time for her but she HATES the country.  She might visit but I can't see her relocating.

So, I guess we'll just take it day by day and hope for the best.

Ugh.  I'm sorry.  I am NOT sorry I don't have experience with this....but I did want to say that if she comes with you for a visit, it might give her some perspective.  ((®))

It's understandable that she is looking for companionship.

This is always hard for those watching from the "outside."

Offering your home and help at least gives her an out and a place of refuge if she needs it.

Good for her that she put her foot down and told him he cannot just come home as if nothing happened.

She's already wavering.  One of my sisters and I flatly said that we would not be around him anymore.  As in we will not stay at your house when we visit if he is there.  (She has this fierce competition with my dad over where out of town family stays.  My dad has no idea this is such a huge issue with her)  But sis and I have both borne the brunt of his nastiness before and we are done.  I hated to give her an ultimatum but I'm not going to tolerate him anymore and you can bet your butt my grandkids aren't going to get near him.

• Like 1