Menu

What is an A+ in a 4.0 scale?

Our local high school handles it this way:

College Prep (unweighted) -> A+ (98-100) = 4.0, A (93-97) = 3.7, A- (90-92) = 3.5

Honors (same numerical values) -> A+ = 4.5, A = 4.2, A- = 4.0

AP or DE = A+ = 5.0, A = 4.7, A- = 4.5

But all high schools do it differently.  

Our local colleges just skip the A+ and give 4.0 from 93-100 and 3.5 for 90-92 (A-)  They do have B+ and C+, just no A+.  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

At my son's high school there is no such thing as an A+.  93-100 = A = 4.0

At my graduate school, I found out it was actually possible to get an A+ even though it didn't say it anywhere.  But while the A+ was recorded on the transcript, in the cumulative GPA it was calculated the same as an A at 4.0.

If it were my kid's transcript, I'd list the A+ but use 4.0 in the GPA calculation.

• Like 4

Our local high school handles it this way:

College Prep (unweighted) -> A+ (98-100) = 4.0, A (93-97) = 3.7, A- (90-92) = 3.5

Honors (same numerical values) -> A+ = 4.5, A = 4.2, A- = 4.0

AP or DE = A+ = 5.0, A = 4.7, A- = 4.5

But all high schools do it differently.  

Our local colleges just skip the A+ and give 4.0 from 93-100 and 3.5 for 90-92 (A-)  They do have B+ and C+, just no A+.  

Wow, 3.7 for a 97 seems harsh.

At my kids' school:

97-100 = A+ = 4.33

93-96 = A = 4.0

90-92 = A- = 3.67

At my other kid's school, there are no plusses/minuses, so:

90-100 = A = 4.0

80-90 = B = 3.0

Plusses and minuses are a double-edged sword, IMO...

And here a 97 gets a 4.33!   :001_cool: 

I've chosen to do +, but not - on my transcript unweighted scale. (Honestly, that's how my high school & college did it, so that's what I'm the most familiar with. I actually used the same % chart as my high school & college. One of my friends used the same scale from her college since that's what she was most familiar with.) I chose to list A+ as a 4.0 just like an A. IMO, you can choose what to do - just list your decisions on your transcript key.

Good luck!

ETA:  Through research, I've found that my % scale & my gpa correlations are really strange. But, I figure colleges can just use the info on the transcript & reweigh everything if they like.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

At my son's high school there is no such thing as an A+.  93-100 = A = 4.0

At my graduate school, I found out it was actually possible to get an A+ even though it didn't say it anywhere.  But while the A+ was recorded on the transcript, in the cumulative GPA it was calculated the same as an A at 4.0.

If it were my kid's transcript, I'd list the A+ but use 4.0 in the GPA calculation.

:iagree: