Menu

SAT Biology Subject Test

My question is 3 part:

How many of your waited to take the SAT II after taking AP biology? From what I understand, the tests are offered a month apart in the spring, so kids study AP, take it, and then a month later take the SAT. Has anyone done this? Would you say the AP is less memorization/fact based and more analytic and interpretation of experiments?

Also, what did you use to study? Did you use AP books? I have done a search, and it seems that folks are recommending the Barrons book along with the official test book when studying for SAT subject test. Anyone else care to offer other choices? What would you use for the AP test? There are SO many books on Amazon.

And from what I understand, an SAT subject test stays with you for life, correct? They may archive it, but if you ask them to send out scores, you have ALL sent - you can't tell them to send out your most recent score if you retook it?

My son's best friend just did it that way.  AP Bio May then SAT II a month later.  He borrowed a SAT II study guide from the local library.

He got a good score on his SAT II.

Unless your student is taking a AP Bio at a very young age,  I doubt any other strategy would be better and just accept the test score. 

One dd took ap bio as a sophomore and took the SAT subject test right after, without waiting the extra month you describe.  

Other dd took the SAT subject test after WTMA biology she took in 7th grade.  She did take the extra month b/c the wtma course didn't cover organ systems.  

My question is 3 part:

How many of your waited to take the SAT II after taking AP biology? From what I understand, the tests are offered a month apart in the spring, so kids study AP, take it, and then a month later take the SAT. Has anyone done this? Would you say the AP is less memorization/fact based and more analytic and interpretation of experiments?

Also, what did you use to study? Did you use AP books? I have done a search, and it seems that folks are recommending the Barrons book along with the official test book when studying for SAT subject test. Anyone else care to offer other choices? What would you use for the AP test? There are SO many books on Amazon.

And from what I understand, an SAT subject test stays with you for life, correct? They may archive it, but if you ask them to send out scores, you have ALL sent - you can't tell them to send out your most recent score if you retook it?

The AP exams are held during school days in the month of May.  You can take the subject test at various times throughout the school year.  My kids don't take the Biology SAT, but they do take the Chemistry SAT. They take the SAT II in May a few days before they take the AP exam.