Menu

Shoes & lots of concrete walking/working recommendations???

Prairie~Phlox

Can anyone recommend a good shoe that will last more than a few months that I can wear all the time & help with concrete walking/working? I work about 20 hours a week & am on concrete the whole time & my hips & back are very sore in the mornings. We have a new mattress & I did fine until a few months ago, so it's not that. I used to buy Nike, but they wore out so quickly, then I tried Dr. Scholl's & thought they were fine at first, but after them not lasting & causing me to feel worse, now I don't think so. I walk for exercise a lit as well. Advice....thanks

• Like 1

Do you use inserts?

Good inserts from a running store, not the $10-20 Dr. Sholls off the end cap at Walmart.

I'm blanking on the name of mine right now, but they're around $80iirc, it's been awhile since I bought a pair.

Try something like that in your brand new running shoes.

But yeah, if you're putting a lot of time & miles on them, several months might be their life span for the best support & comfort. Inserts can extend that.

• Like 1

Last year, we were in an Outlet Mall in Orlando and bought a bunch of shoes in the CROCS Outlet.  The model I was interested in came in 2 different qualities. I asked and was told that the more expensive one was for people who are on their feet all day. The Manager suggested I not spend the extra money for those, because I am not on my feet all day, so I bought the less expensive ones.

However, in your case, I suggest that you look at shoes like that, designed for people who are standing and/or walking all day, when they are working.  

Possibly ask the USPS Mail Carrier who delivers mail to your home what kind of shoes they buy.

OT: You included that your Hips and Back are very sore in the mornings. That would make me think that the problem may be your new Mattress.  It is a Hard mattress or a Softer Mattress?  I read that people on Hard Mattresses do not sleep as well as people on a Mattress that is not so Firm.

Last year, we were in an Outlet Mall in Orlando and bought a bunch of shoes in the CROCS Outlet. The model I was interested in came in 2 different qualities. I asked and was told that the more expensive one was for people who are on their feet all day. The Manager suggested I not spend the extra money for those, because I am not on my feet all day, so I bought the less expensive ones.

However, in your case, I suggest that you look at shoes like that, designed for people who are standing and/or walking all day, when they are working.

Possibly ask the USPS Mail Carrier who delivers mail to your home what kind of shoes they buy.

OT: You included that your Hips and Back are very sore in the mornings. That would make me think that the problem may be your new Mattress. It is a Hard mattress or a Softer Mattress? I read that people on Hard Mattresses do not sleep as well as people on a Mattress that is not so Firm.

We have a Purple mattress that we've had for 6 months & I've only started having problems as I've worked more & my shoes need to be replaced. Our old mattress was the same way & I was pain free up until a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure it's my shoes. I'll be achy at night as well after working, I just notice it more in the morning. No I don't have inserts, great idea though.

• Like 1

When I worked in a building with concrete floors and had to be on my feet for several hours, I found that Crocs worked better than any kind of athletic shoe and I was just wearing the regular street styles. (not the specialty ones or the clog ones) . Made all the difference in the world as to whether I had achy hips after work or not. 

• Like 1

I second the Hoka recommendation. They are running shoes, but work great for people with ailments. I wear the Stinson 3's, but there are other styles with just as much support (and a few styles that don't offer as much support so go to a store and try on before buying.) Warning: they are high off the ground with lots of cushion, have bright colors, and I feel as though I am in the NBA when I walk out the door with them. I have toe issues, but I read reviews that the shoes helped people on their feet all day that had back, hip, and knee problems as well. I wear a Superfeet insert that is right for my arch with them-the athletic shoe store salesman fitted me for the right fit for my needs.

ETA: I also think New Balance will have good options for you if you go to a store and get an experienced sales person to fit you with the right pair. The only New Balance I can wear are ugly, but my friend with chronic plantar fasciitis in her feet wears a pair her podiatrist recommended.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 2

a good facebook page is barking dogs, she recommends shoes that help your feet depending on what your foot needs are.  I have plantar fasciitis.  Brands that have really been good for my feet are Brooks Ariel running shoes, Dansko clogs, Jambu sandles, Haflinger Grizzly slipper clogs, Reiker shoes, Taos,  I also have croc flip flops for summer.  Ahnu snow/hiking boots have been good too.

Hope you find something that helps.

Kimberly

.barkingdogshoes.com/#

Edited by Splash
  • Like 1

My dad finds Clarks walking shoes the best fit for him when he was teaching and he still buys and wear those as he has lots of concrete pavements around his home to walk to neighborhood stores and library.

I am heavy on my heels (bad habit) so I have to go for shoes with better shock absorbers in the heel area. High cut basketball shoes work better for me if I am buying off the rack and not spending an entire morning trying on shoes at the outlet mall.

• Like 1

propets.

http://www.propetusa.com/

they also have a warranty.   when I bought some for my son -he was walking miles a day in dress shoes.   he really liked them, and found them very comfortable. he tried on everything as we shopped everywhere - even nordstrom for good walkable dress shoes (and their prices of men's dress shoes   :svengo: ).  we're in a good area for shopping - but we couldn't find anything for him that would have held up.  which is why I went online and found the propets.

eta: for me - some of the more common brands recommended have never held up.   

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Another vote for Hoka. Here's my story: I am a runner who broke 3 bones in my leg in June 2016. Between waiting for surgery and post surgery I was not allowed to put weight on that leg at all for 3 months. Even though I didn't injure my foot, it was messed up due to the complete lack of use. After that 3 months I still didn't walk much, just rode a stationary bike every day. When I was given permission to start walking some distance, the bones on the bottom of my foot hurt. I had always worn a more minimalist shoe, which had always worked well for me, but it was no longer cutting it with my foot the way it was. So I switched to Hokas. Problem solved. To begin with I was walking at least a mile, still using a cane, and now I can run up to 2 hours with no problems with my foot. My foot still is not completely back to "normal," but the Hokas allow me to lead my active life without my foot hurting. I tried one of my previous pairs of running shoes this summer, and my foot really bothered me afterward. So now I'm a diehard Hoka fan. I have used them for trail running and long hikes (4+ hours) this summer and love them.

I have the Clifton 3's. The Clifton is out in a 4, but I have not tried them yet.

• Like 3

When I worked in a building with concrete floors and had to be on my feet for several hours, I found that Crocs worked better than any kind of athletic shoe and I was just wearing the regular street styles. (not the specialty ones or the clog ones) . Made all the difference in the world as to whether I had achy hips after work or not. 

I like to wear sandals, but with a strap on the back and a little bit of a heel.  I think the advantage to CROCS is that as your feet expand/swell during the day, they can do so. With a tight shoe, your feet are going to be more uncomfortable.

Probably there are better things to wear than CROCS and I suspect Mail Carriers would be an excellent source of information about shoes to wear when walking or standing all day.

I'm a nurse working 12 hour shifts at the hospital and I LOVE my Dansko professional clogs.

This is the only other pair of shoes I know of that I like and can wear without pain and I do puffy heart them from my nursing days, but I would not recommend them for a lot of straight concrete walking because there is no cushioning and the concrete is so tough (standing on concrete like at a cashier job or chef may be better.) I love them on the hospital floors, places like malls, and around the house though.

Edited by TX native

If you like the fit of Nike, you may want to explore high-end Nike runners or walking shoes. You could upgrade the insoles to thicker ones.    I run on asphalt and concrete with high-end running shoes, and the rule of thumb for wear out is about 500 km. Not sure how that translates into hours of walking.

If you walk 20 hrs/week on a very hard surface, the reality may be that you have to buy new shoes every few months. Heavy duty boots work boots may keep the support longer, but then you'd be carrying that extra weight with every step.

If you like the fit of Nike, you may want to explore high-end Nike runners or walking shoes. You could upgrade the insoles to thicker ones. I run on asphalt and concrete with high-end running shoes, and the rule of thumb for wear out is about 500 km. Not sure how that translates into hours of walking.

If you walk 20 hrs/week on a very hard surface, the reality may be that you have to buy new shoes every few months. Heavy duty boots work boots may keep the support longer, but then you'd be carrying that extra weight with every step.

I agree with this. The Nike shoes you find at Kohls or similar discount places don't have as much cushioning as the higher end ones that you find at a running shop. A place like Dicks Sporting Goods will have both, the more expensive ones will be better quality (unless the new model year just came out then you can get last year's model cheaper).

Working on concrete all day is hard on the joints! When I worked retail and was on my feet all day I found one pair of shoes wouldn't do. I needed a couple different pairs to rotate through. Different people need different support but I generally had good luck with running shoes. If I wasn't walking a ton I liked Danskos or Borns.

I need good arch support more than cushioning, and had great luck with vionic (I wore their flip-flops to Disney, and just got a pair of tennis shoes that I haven't worn yet). For cushioning, I've enjoyed oofos. I got a pair of flip-flops that I wear as house shoes, and I'm looking at some of their other styles on Amazon. One thing with oofos - I wear a EU 39 Birks, but my oofos are a 41.

I liked my MBT sandals. I wore them constantly for about 5 years before they finally gave up the ghost. They are walking shoes/running shoes like the hoka's. They have different degrees of "rocking" to them.