Menu

Dishwasher broke-Recommendations for new

Nemom

I wasn't planning on buying a new dishwasher anytime soon.  I believe this one is less than 5 years old but dh says he is not fixing it.  Truth is...I think it has been slowly falling apart since we bought it.

I don't need anything super fancy.  I never change the wash cycle-ever.  I need space inside more than any fancy computer features.

I just purchased a new LG double oven about six months ago because I had been using the old one for several years which only had two working burners.  

I don't really care if my appliances are all the same brand but will purchase stainless to match the new oven.

Recommendations...and go!

Edited by Nemom

The newish Samsung dishwasher that was in our house when we bought it last year broke a few weeks ago. We waffled on whether to see if it would be worth repairing or going ahead and replacing it (Samsung dishwashers have a pretty bad reputation). We looked around and found a pretty good Labor Day sale on a Bosch and decided to get one. I haven't had it long enough to really recommend it, but it's ok. Seems to clean very well. It's not loud, but it's louder than the Samsung even though according to Bosch the decibel level is less than our Samsung was. Bosch shines a cutesy red light on the floor because supposedly the dishwasher is too quiet to know it's running. Not so. The light would have been helpful for the Samsung. The Bosch doesn't need it. You can hear it running.

We replaced ours in January. Our old Whirlpool broke and we replaced it with a Bosch. My advice would be to carefully look at the racks and see how your dishes will fit in. I want to love our Bosch, but with our dishes (Fiestaware) we had a lot more flexibility in how things were loaded with our old Whirlpool. I wish I had actually taken a couple dishes (just a plate/saucer and bowl) to Lowes and tested how they fit in the Bosch, I would have gone with a different option.

The newish Samsung dishwasher that was in our house when we bought it last year broke a few weeks ago. We waffled on whether to see if it would be worth repairing or going ahead and replacing it (Samsung dishwashers have a pretty bad reputation). We looked around and found a pretty good Labor Day sale on a Bosch and decided to get one. I haven't had it long enough to really recommend it, but it's ok. Seems to clean very well. It's not loud, but it's louder than the Samsung even though according to Bosch the decibel level is less than our Samsung was. Bosch shines a cutesy red light on the floor because supposedly the dishwasher is too quiet to know it's running. Not so. The light would have been helpful for the Samsung. The Bosch doesn't need it. You can hear it running.

I went to a couple of places around town today.  Samsung was not recommended.  I thought one of the salesmen said that the Samsung did have a light  like you are describing but maybe I'm getting the brands mixed up.  

I love my KitchenAid, but the regular cycle does take a long time - two hours.  I read that the longer cycles are more energy efficient.

KitchenAid was the #1 recommendation.  I was told 2-2 1/2 hours was pretty much the norm on washing cycle lengths.

We replaced ours in January. Our old Whirlpool broke and we replaced it with a Bosch. My advice would be to carefully look at the racks and see how your dishes will fit in. I want to love our Bosch, but with our dishes (Fiestaware) we had a lot more flexibility in how things were loaded with our old Whirlpool. I wish I had actually taken a couple dishes (just a plate/saucer and bowl) to Lowes and tested how they fit in the Bosch, I would have gone with a different option.

I haven't had good luck with the last two Whirlpool dishwashers so I am not buying that brand again.  

Lots of allergies here so everything is made from scratch.  I did notice that some of the bottom racks did not have a lot of dividers especially in the Bosch brand.  Large cookie sheets did not fit in the KitchenAid though so that is a big problem (that had one to try).  Taking some dishes with is a very good idea.  

Shopping for this kind of thing is fun when you want something new, but not when you have to buy it.  I was planning on spending that money on new chairs to match the new couch.  Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful that I have the cash saved and don't need to charge it.

Edited by Nemom

.  I believe this one is less than 5 years old but dh says he is not fixing it.  Truth is...I think it has been slowly falling apart since we bought it.

We bought our Bosch  (SHX68T56UC)  dishwasher in 2013  .  You'll have to take my word for it, but it has been treated gently yet we have had problems with it.  

1. The first thing that happened was a code that drained the dishwasher and instructed us to call for service.  Getting someone to come out was a nightmare because we had purchased an extended warranty from NSI/Warrantech and had to deal with them.   I'm not sure which was the bigger mistake...buying the Bosch itself or buying the extended warranty.

2.  The bottom rack goes off the track very easily.   

3.  The "Smooth Glide" that prevents the door from crashing down when you open it is problematic, and the extended warranty won't cover this repair.  First one side snapped, and not long after the other side did, too.  There aren't many Bosch-approved repair places in our area apparently, and some of the places have very poor customer service.   I still haven't done this repair.  It's easier to just hold on tight to the door while opening it rather than deal with these repair places.   The last guy who was sent out by the extended warranty place was here for maybe 10 minutes.  Despite the fact that I told the repair place exactly what had happened with the "Smooth Glide" before he ever came to our house, he came with no parts, just made his "diagnosis", and said he would have to order the part.  Then the extended warranty place changed its mind after sending him and said they would not cover this repair.  So the only thing we got out of the repairman's visit was a blessing for our home... he said some sort of blessing before he left.    

As far as I'm concerned, beware of Bosch and beware of buying an extended warranty from the place I mentioned.     

Our Bosch was/is a nightmare.

Honestly, we cook every meal from scratch here too, and a dishwasher isn't worth the hassle for that many dishes. Before ours broke, I was doing 2-3 loads a day plus handwashing. It's just easier to wash them all by hand and get them done.

How on earth could it be easier to hand wash them all. lol. Im dying for a dishwasher over here.

How on earth could it be easier to hand wash them all. lol. Im dying for a dishwasher over here.

Because after you load and start the dishwasher, you have to come back and unload it a couple hours later, when you'd rather crash for the night. Or in the morning when trying to keep kids from running off before school work, or while trying to cook the next meal. And some things can't go in the dishwasher anyway. I like being Done after kitchen clean up.

We great big puffy heart love our new Bosch! Our old Whirlpool made a loud cracking sound and sent out sparks and flames, so we had to purchase quickly and ended up buying a Bosch floor model. I was leaning toward a Kitchenaid but it was too wide for the space in our kitchen, and the Bosch fit perfectly. Glad to find a discounted floor model, because they are spendy.

Love, love, love it--3 racks with the top silverware rack give us so much more room than our old Whirlpool. 

I did bring some dishes to the store and wasn't sure the Bosch would work for us, but since it was our best option size-wise we've learned to maximize the space and it holds almost twice as much as the old one. It took a month or two to figure out exactly how to maximize the space. 

Enjoy your new dishwasher! Ours has seriously made our lives much easier :)

Amy

I wasn't planning on buying a new dishwasher anytime soon.  I believe this one is less than 5 years old but dh says he is not fixing it.  Truth is...I think it has been slowly falling apart since we bought it.

I don't need anything super fancy.  I never change the wash cycle-ever.  I need space inside more than any fancy computer features.

I just purchased a new LG double oven about six months ago because I had been using the old one for several years which only had two working burners.  

I don't really care if my appliances are all the same brand but will purchase stainless to match the new oven.

Recommendations...and go!

I have a 10yo mid-range Whirlpool that I love. When it dies some day, I plan to get an upper-range Whirlpool. It is quite large inside, with easy-to-figure-out racks,

I've had a Bosch for about 3 years now.  I've been very happy with it.  It definitely cleans better than my last 2 dishwashers.  I run 2-3 loads a day so it takes a beating.  EVERYTHING goes in my dishwasher (my skin is very sensitive and dish soap makes me itch like crazy and hot water dries out my skin so it cracks and bleeds, totally not worth my misery to attempt to hand wash anything), large electric frying pans, my 5 gallon canning pot, etc. The racks are adjustable so I can make more space when I have supersized dishes to wash.

Overall it's very quiet.  I never really hear the motor running.  I do hear the water filling/swishing/draining so for those parts of the cycle you will hear it but I do find the red light necessary because the last half hour of the cycle while it's drying it's totally silent and you wouldn't be able to tell if it's done or not without the light.

Well, darn, my dishwasher is leaking now.  I recommended KitchenAid earlier in the thread, but now I'm not so sure as ours is not very old.   :(

Where is it leaking from? Ours had developed a leak which went away after I adjusted the front gasket. (And also after I had ordered another gasket, which is now sitting in a box. Murphy's Law.) Big fan of google/youtube fixes on appliances if possible.

We love our Bosch. It's so quiet, I never know it's on. The light is essential to tell if it's running.

I generally just use the default cycle, but sometimes use the quicker cycle.

Dishes are super clean. I can fit everything in.

I didn't choose it: it came with our house. But I love it, and would buy one now that we've had one.

Edited by Spryte

Where is it leaking from? Ours had developed a leak which went away after I adjusted the front gasket. (And also after I had ordered another gasket, which is now sitting in a box. Murphy's Law.) Big fan of google/youtube fixes on appliances if possible.

The leak is underneath the dishwasher.  DH is going to take it out today and haul it into the garage to work on it, but I'm not hopeful.  Thanks for the suggestion on the fixes!  I will pass that on to him.  He's pretty handy, but those sources are usually very good and I always forget about them.

• Like 1

I don't know about particular brands/models but I've always insisted on one with a "hard food disposal".  It actually chops bits up before sending down the drain.  This little feature can save you a ton of time and effort over a "soft food disposal" that only emulsifies food.  Things like chicken don't emulsify so instead cause clogs.

I loved my KitchenAid, and it cleaned beautifully and a ton of dishes.  And then the wiring melted, and it was going to cost over $500 for new wiring, so I had to replace it.  The service person, Sarah, told me not to get another Kitchen Aid because they're not as good as they used to be.  She told me to get a Bosch instead.  So I did.  

I don't like it.  It cleans very well, and it is very quiet, but I don't like it.  It's just so tiny inside!  All the racks seem to be made for dainty little dishes.  My plates don't fit.  My bowls don't fit.  My glasses don't fit. I have to use only every-other space to keep them from all nesting together.  The silverware cups are really shallow and have this weird hump that makes it difficult to fit many items.  The glass holders are too small as well, so it always seems like my glasses are going to fall over.  And, maybe it's just me, but it bugs me that nothing is symmetric!  

We also have the problem with the bottom falling off the track, and almost slamming onto the floor.  

It has no food grinder, so large food chunks must be scraped off, BUT you can't rinse the plates clean because it needs some dirt in the water for the "dirty water sensor" to work.  Dirty water will cause the dishwasher to heat the water, allowing it to clean better.  If the dishes are too clean going it, it doesn't clean/sanitize as well.

The little shelf thing (for utensils) on the top rack is kind of a pain because you have to lift it to fit anything underneath, and only the short glasses will fit under there.  

I will be glad when this thing dies and I can go back to Kitchen Aid.  

ETA: My KitchenAid was 12 years old when it died.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ