Menu

Does your family have a traditional Sunday lunch/dinner?

umsami

If so, what do you make?

My friend's Mom makes a traditional Thanksgiving turkey every Sunday.  Then they use the leftover turkey in sandwiches over the week and other things.  She's in her late 40s, and my friend's Mom has done this since she was young.  She buys a lot of the turkeys on sale and stores them in a chest freezer.    She was a single Mom and this was a good way for her to save money/time--as she did her main cooking one day/week.

Edited by umsami

My Grandmother did and my family would go when I was young. Grandma would cook and Grandpa would play games with us.

My Mother didn't carry it on.

Peoples lifes are so busy now.

I would really like to start it up but my family lives far away and we are not close to my husband side.

• Like 1

I would get so tired of turkey if I ate it that often. Plus that's what makes Thanksgiving special- roast turkey!

On Sunday I make what dh eats for lunch during the week. It might be chili, chicken and noodles, panko coated chicken tenders, chicken chili, whatever. So that takes me some time, but I pack it in 5 mason jars and dh just grabs one every day. I don't really want to cook much more than that since I do things like make noodles from scratch, etc. Time consuming. 

I used to make a big meal on Sunday and eat leftovers during the week but now we eat much lighter and Sunday is often a fast/easy meal like oven roasted veggies and a protein.  

If my grandkids lived nearby and could come for a meal I would probably make a big Sunday meal. But that 1200 mile gap means that's not going to happen. But I would LOVE to cook with and for my whole family!

• Like 1

We don't do a traditional Sunday dinner, but I do buy three of the largest turkeys I can find (usually 22 lbs or so) when they go on sale in November and cook them during the year to be part of our lunch meat and other meat needs. I roast them and then we package the meat and freeze those so they take up less room in the freezer. I'll also pick up 2-3 largish hams for the same reason.

• Like 2

My mother did.  My grandmother did.  Mother always made roast beef with potatoes and veggies and hot rolls.  Dessert varied.  Grandmother always did something different.  Once she discovered the grill, it was grandfather's job to provide the main course.  Grandkids loved hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill so it was a win win for grandmother. 

In the winter, I will put something in the crockpot before we leave for church on Sunday.  Dh likes to go out to lunch on Sundays. 

• Like 1

My FOO used to, and when my sister was helping with my kids on Sundays, she used to cook a nice traditional meal.  Right now my hope is to get my kids involved in planning and cooking a nice Sunday dinner at least monthly.  We don't seem to find the time though.

Since I never seem to get caught up on my work, and cooking is not something I enjoy, I don't keep up this tradition myself.  We do go out to a nice restaurant every Friday night, so I guess you could say that is our substitute tradition.  :)

• Like 1

We have a Saturday breakfast tradition, our only cooked breakfast of the week (pancakes, sausage, fruit). I usually cook nice meals Saturday and Sunday night because I have time (weekday meals are often quick and easy). But nothing I'd call a traditional Sunday lunch or dinner.

• Like 1

My mom used to, but only about once a month.  She would throw a roast in the oven before we left for church service and it would be ready when we got home.  Typically though, Sunday was too busy with church activities and mom didn't want to take the time to do it.  I have never done anything special on Sundays.  It is actually DH's day to cook and my day off to rest and regroup for the week.

• Like 1

No, and I didn't grow up with it either.

In my FOO my mom hated to cook.  So on weekends my dad would barbeque hamburgers on Saturday nights and make either waffles or pancakes for dinner on Sundays.  My brother and I always had to eat the combo burnt/underdone initial ones, so we dreaded Sunday dinner. 

When I was home with DD I always wanted to make Sunday dinner special, and that meant making something good from scratch.  DH hated that because of the clean up, and so I gave up.  He always wanted to go out.  Which to me means, pay a bunch of money to eat unhealthy food in larger than desired quantities.  No less than 50 of my excess pounds are from him getting angry if I didn't want to eat when he did, and in quantities like his.

I like the idea of having a big meal midday on Sundays and being able to casually invite people to stop over, but that will only happen when I'm an old widow woman I guess.

Dang, I guess I have Issues.  Didn't realize.  :)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Yep.

My grandmother cooked a huge meal every Sunday when I was growing up. She would get up at 5 am and start cooking, then finish after church. She made all kinds of things: pot roast, chicken pie, even her take on moo goo gai pan. There were always at least 5 or 6 side dishes, in addition to the entree. And usually dessert. VERY rarely, when my grandfather was alive, we would go out to his favorite restaurant instead.

My mother took over Sunday dinner for our side of the family after my grandmother died. She cooks most weeks, although sometimes we have other things going on, or my parents do, and we skip a week. Or some weeks my dad will pick up something, like fried chicken from the deli. My mom's meals are more simple, like grilled chicken or a pork roast, with a couple of veggies. Not the elaborate meals my grandmother made. My mom doesn't love to cook, but since she rarely cooks during the week since it's just her and Dad now, I think she enjoys making one meal a week for the family. I certainly enjoy it! :)

• Like 2

We have a group that meets after church every other Sunday. We rotate houses between three host families. It's a potluck so the food itself varies. The host family generally cooks something more main course like and then people bring other stuff. It's here tomorrow and we are doing grilled chicken, some kind of kale salad or slaw and leftover birthday cake. :)

We've done it for 15+ years so it's very easy now and the food always works out. We invite a lot of people and it can vary in numbers but it's almost always at least the three main families. 

• Like 2

Growing up, we had hot dogs every Sunday after church. My mom hated Sunday lunch--such a rushed meal.

As an adult, I sometimes do hot dogs, but more often, I give them a snack, and I cook something big for around 2. And then we have nachos or something easy for supper. Or those hot dogs that seem traditional from my youth. ;) My kids don't love this, though. They are really tied to their 3 meal, 1 afternoon snack, schedule, and weird Sundays are met with a lot of protest.

My dh's family does. His parents and all his 5 siblings live in the same area, and every Sunday we gather at his parent's house for dinner at 5:30 pm. We have a schedule for who is cooking dinner so everyone gets a chance to do the meal about once every 6 weeks. There will be up to 25+ people every week.

Dh's parents put on an addition to their house, a huge dining room, about 20 years ago. This accommodates our Sunday dinners. That's Sunday dinner commitment!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Growing up, my mom did a lot of canned soup with cheese and crackers. 😂 Maybe not *a lot*, but definitely was a go to. Tasty at the time and a fond memory.

I would love to do Thanksgiving dinner, maybe 1x/month. Every Thanksgiving I think of it, and what a great, simple idea it would be do to more often through the year...then completely forget about it.

We do a family Sunday dinner, but not the same thing every week. If we had to cook a turkey dinner with all the fixings every Sunday I'd go nuts! We did just do one last weekend though. We are having ham tomorrow with acorn squash, roasted beets, biscuits and one or two other things we haven't decided on yet. Dh always makes a home made dessert, too. Tomorrow it's spice cake and some kind of spiced peaches. We've done roasted chickens, big Italian meals, prime rib, chicken marsala, chicken cordon bleu, veal saltimbocca and many other dishes. We are always looking for good Sunday dinner recipes. We always use our nicer dishes, too. We all enjoy it! All dinners were a family event when I grew up, and now we always try to have dinner on the table around 6 pm every night. It seems most families can't do this anymore with sports and other commitments. 

The friend I had who did this was churchgoing.  They would put a roast on before church and come back to a cooked meal.  We were not churchgoing and had much more casual weekend days - we sat down together for supper every evening.

I once vaguely thought this sounded like a nice tradition until I started working through the logistics. How do you cook a roast while you are at church? Do you just leave the oven on and hope it doesn't burn/dry out/burn the house down? A friend of mine once told me their family did the whole Sunday roast thing and I asked her just that. Turns out they had a maid who stayed home to cook it!

I can't imagine cooking a turkey every week. How many people are they cooking for? At Thanksgiving, we eat turkey turkey turkey for several days and then freeze enough for several more meals over the next couple of months. We often do another turkey dinner in February to enjoy it all over again, but that's plenty for us. Even if it were once a month, we would have turkey coming out our ears.

Our parish (eastern Orthodox)does a full-on potluck meal every single Sunday after the liturgy ends.  Most Orthodox parishes have some type of coffee hour (ie, agape meal) although not all are a full-on spread with main dishes, sides, desserts, etc..  I've talked with some of the other moms in the parish and we all say we'll fight tooth and nail if anyone ever says they want to go to just bagels and cream cheese or (worse!) pastries and coffee for simplicity's or effort's sake.  None of us want to have to go home and make/cook another meal later that day and we always have enough food. We have the big meal at about 1:00 PM and then at home later, people are on their own.  

• Like 1

I once vaguely thought this sounded like a nice tradition until I started working through the logistics. How do you cook a roast while you are at church? Do you just leave the oven on and hope it doesn't burn/dry out/burn the house down?

That's exactly what my grandma did, LOL! She started everything early in the morning, though, so I expect most things were just left in the oven to keep warm during church. She was used to getting up early to cook though. She and my grandpa ran a restaurant that served breakfast 6 days a week for decades. My mom definitely doesn't get up like that! She makes good use of her crockpot. She's also usually home from church by about 11, so that helps.

I guess maybe we do?  

Sunday is my catch up day where I catch up on cleaning and food.  I bake baguettes every Sunday and make a soup for the week.  So Sunday night is always soup and baguettes with cheese and fruit.  I don't know if that's a traditional thing or just a habit.  

ETA: Family dinners are our daily norm for practical purposes. 

Edited by Audrey

I guess maybe we do?  

Sunday is my catch up day where I catch up on cleaning and food.  I bake baguettes every Sunday and make a soup for the week.  So Sunday night is always soup and baguettes with cheese and fruit.  I don't know if that's a traditional thing or just a habit.  

Yum! Can I be part of your tradition?? :)

• Like 4

With our busy Sunday schedule. I don't have time to cook. Sunday lunch is leftovers from all the cooking done during the week. I guess we do have a traditional Sunday dinner --popcorn! :laugh:

This is us except the popcorn is Saturday supper and on Sunday night I make pizza. Sunday lunch is "manna."

My mom always did a nice Sunday lunch. I'd like to get back to that, but during the kid years MILs method of "Manna day" is what works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to. For several years, our Sunday dinner was eggs, usually with bacon, but sometimes sausage. We had toast and sometimes grits. We never got tired of it and I loved it because I didn't have to wonder what we were having for lunch. Not sure why we stopped.

We did eggs, hashbrowns and sausage for years.  Yes.  Easy to plan and cook.

I need to start having my married son and family over at least twice a month.  Need to watch that baby grow! lol  My sister started having her kids over on Wednesday nights once they moved out.