Menu

8 Truths About Nextdoor

sassenach

That's funny. I especially liked the "wreck less driver."

I find our FB group is more like that than NextDoor, though. People on FB post pictures of vehicles including license plate numbers when those drivers are doing something others don't like. I think it's easier to complain than to talk to the person directly.

• Like 2

Wow!  I recognized all but one of these posts as direct posts from my neighborhood.  Wild coyotes, gunshots, lost cats, suspicious drivers,and crazy reckless teen drivers are all popular points of discussion. 

I have never participated in any of these discussions, but they can certainly provide a good source of entertainment when I am putting off doing something productive.  This past election cycle provided lots of "interesting neighborhood interactions."  The post about the sign being stolen was just one of many.   My guess is that the individuals who were involved in those online interactions no longer feel "neighborly" towards one another. 

I'm laughing.  

I live in a neighborhood where we do have bobcat, bear, coyote, and the (very occasional) mountain lion.  I get so amused at the warnings every time one is seen.  I want to do a broad notification that people should just live their lives as if these things are in the neighborhood, because, as evidenced by the frequent posts, they are!

• Like 1

I really like nextdoor neighbor.  Yes, gun shots, car burglaries and we all were cheering when one neighbor (of a nearby neighborhood) chased the criminals (they had stolen his work trailor) and the police came and arrested them, lost pets, how to get rid of said animal, etc.  But it is much better for news a lot of times than the actual news.  The police post on it warnings as do others.  We find out what cars some criminals are using and their descriptions.  We find good recommendations and criticisms of various businesses. 

As to wandering cats which I do not approve of, I do warn people that there are definitely coyotes in our neighborhood and they prey on cats as does the Great Horned Owl that lives across the street from me.

• Like 1

😂 Very true! My neighbor actually did have a real life bobcat deliver kittens in her back yard, 2 years in a row! They found out when her yorkie went out to pee and it got bitten. Initially they thought it had been bitten by a rattle snake, but then the vet said, no, 13 puncture wounds is no rattler! Small pets do disappear on a regular basis to coyote attacks. It's a fact of life.

• Like 1

Oh, wow. I had to go investigate, lol.

My area has people asking who to call about coyotes and foxes.  Um... use your phone for pics. You don't call people about coyotes and foxes when you build a house in their forest!

I didn't see posts about gunshots or fireworks, but those are both every day occurrences.  Target shooting, hunting, and idiots are background noise.

Those things sound exactly like my Nextdoor!!

It can be pretty entertaining sometimes, but there's also a lot of pettiness (like posting pictures of speeding drivers complete with the license plate). 

I won't get rid of it though. A while back a postal worker was shot while delivering mail in the area. The suspects, who took a week to be apprehended, were also involved in two other shootings in the same area. The police were not communicating much of anything to the community, which was really frustrating. But, every time there was an incident people would post information on Nextdoor (like..."cops are having a shootout on the highway, so you better stay away"). Some of it was bogus information, but it was better than nothing. 

ETA: The shootout on the highway actually did happen. Same mail shooting suspects. So, thanks Nextdoor!

Edited by Vintage81

We don't have the pettiness, but there are a LOT of foxes and coyotes trying to eat the poor neighborhood cats and dogs!

Oh, we did have a big neighborhood scandal about a pomeranian named Romeo who would get out of the house on a daily basis and cruise the neighborhood looking for love. I think Romeo moved away though. We don't see him any more. :)

Almost forgot, the skunk and her five babies were also a popular subject for awhile, and the dogs in the neighborhood got pretty stinky, but I think the skunk family packed their bags and moved to the nature reserve.

Last thing, a five foot alligator was caught at a small neighborhood lake about half a mile from me. This is north Alabama. There had been rumours and sighting for several years, but most people didnt believe them. :)

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

The NextDoor app provides entertainment money can't buy. Wild animals, crime concerns, and local politics are hot topics. Anytime there is a bobcat spotted, there are two groups that are deeply divided and continue to argue whether we should fear or appreciate these animals. Half the group responding thinks these animals are slinking around waiting to devour small animals and children. The other half thinks anyone that is concerned is stupid as bobcats are harmless. The responses often lack graciousness, tact and common sense. 

I've also come to realize that lots of people are really, really concerned about crime. I live in an area that is relatively and thankfully crime free, but it doesn't stop people from suspecting door-to-door solicitors or slow driving cars from being hardened criminals who are waiting for a violent crime opportunity. The paranoia is astonishing.

It can be a great place to get good recommendations for local services, though. It's also an easy place to buy and sell without the craziness that can happen with Craigslist.

• Like 2

Exactly like my Nextdoor too.  Someone posted it there today.

Except that I didn't post the picture of the bobcat that showed up in our yard one day.  And I too appreciate knowing where the bears have been spotted lately, even if it was on someone's security cam at 1 am.

Edited by wapiti