Menu

Length of course descriptions?

This is a spin-off from one of yvonne's threads. I'm curious, how many pages were your course descriptions - those with kids graduating/graduated?

And if you want to share, how did you format them? Single column, multiple column, by year, by subject, etc? :-)

Thanks!!!

I've been through the process twice now and followed the same process both times: I created my documents in Word.  Both were around 9 pages.  I provided a brief blub about the course and listed the textbook/materials used.  My transcripts were arranged by subject, and my course description documents were as well.  The first course listed on the transcript was the first course listed on the course description document.

• Like 4

I did mine by subject, and chronologically within the subject. Single column,  normal Word document. Total 8 pages.

I wrote a short paragraph for courses that followed the prescribed canon (math, science), and about half a page for self designed courses that integrated two subjects.

Copied course description from course catalog for outsourced classes.

• Like 2

My first page described educational partners we used - various co-ops, a description of AoPS and PA Homeschoolers, erc.

My descriptions were usually one paragraph followed by the textbooks, or literature read. Usually I could get about four course descriptions per page. It was arranged by subject and it was 9 pages long.

• Like 2

I just looked.  For 38.5 credit hrs, my course descriptions were 8 pages plus separate pages provided by Ms. Denne for Russian.  Since I didn't know anything about what was done in Russian, I added her evaluations at the end of my course descriptions as an addendum.

I also used a 3 column format.  The first column contains the course title, the credits earned, and the grade.  The second column lists resources used for the course.  The third column contains a brief summation of what the course entailed plus method of evaluating for a grade.

• Like 2

Were these course descriptions for the Common App? I got all psyched up for having to do them but so far the colleges my dd has applied to/is applying to have not required them. We've asked about extra things from homeschool students but nothing so far. She is not applying to highly selective schools but it makes me a bit nervous because I'm wondering if not giving them course descriptions is going to hurt her scholarship chances.

• Like 1

Were these course descriptions for the Common App? I got all psyched up for having to do them but so far the colleges my dd has applied to/is applying to have not required them. We've asked about extra things from homeschool students but nothing so far. She is not applying to highly selective schools but it makes me a bit nervous because I'm wondering if not giving them course descriptions is going to hurt her scholarship chances.

I have uploaded mine to the Common App as a second transcript and sent them on paper to the schools who required a paper documentation.

• Like 2

I supplied them to all schools, even the ones that did not participate in the Common App.  I uploaded the course description document as a pdf in the same area on the applications where I had uploaded the transcript. (The "Transcript" field on the application permits you to upload more than one file.)

• Like 2

Sorted course descriptions by subject and chronologically within subject (the transcript was chronological), single column.  Each was a solid paragraph with a list of relevant texts below the description (indented). I made sure that the pages were numbered and that every page had a header that referenced identifying information for the student. I either attached them to the transcript or uploaded them as a second transcript to CA.  I can't remember which.  Also-I made sure that each document was a PDF when I uploaded it.  Helps to be sure that there won't be any issues with the receiver being able to read/access the document and also helps prevent any inadvertent deletions/edits that could happen if they opened directly in Word.

I submitted course descriptions with every application, even if the school didn't ask.  Several admissions officers have mentioned at college fairs or campus visits that if we have anything like course descriptions that could be included they would appreciate our doing so.  Having course descriptions allows them to better evaluate the applicant.  DD was thanked by several admission folks during interviews for including them as it helped greatly when looking at college readiness, level of challenge in her course work, and understanding her educational path-they used this to determine not only admissions but scholarships as well.

• Like 1

I'm organizing mine by subject and in a single column.  I'm writing a paragraph for each description, some longer than others.   I'm listing the course name, followed by the teacher name and their credentials followed by the text/s used  Then I write my paragraph for the actual course description.

• Like 1

Very helpful, thank you. I figure I'll see which format looks cleanest and is less pages (single column or triple column). But it does seem the majority do it single column.

Kareni - thanks for your offer. I think I've already been blessed with a copy of your course descriptions.

If anyone wanted to post a sample 'class' description here - just one to see how you lined it up, that would also be most helpful. I know there are other threads of samples, just thought I'd ask those that have already so kindly responded here.

Do you note in the description how many credits for the class or the grade received anywhere?

• Like 1

Here are some example course descriptions, for a self designed integrated course, and for a course that follows a clear canon:

World Literature: Medieval and Renaissance / Medieval and Renaissance History

1.0 credit English, 1.0 credit History

This is an integrated course combining history and literature of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, with a particular focus on England and Italy. Major works of literature studied include Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Song of Roland, Nibelungenlied, Inferno, sonnets and various plays by Shakespeare. The student watched several live and recorded performances of Shakespeare’s plays. The course has a strong composition component; the student wrote essays about literary and historic topics and one research paper.

Textbook: Short History of Western Civilizations by John Harrison and Richard Sullivan

The student listened to the following audio lectures by the Teaching Company:

The Early Middle Ages, The High Middle Ages, The Late Middle Ages (72 lectures, Prof. Philip Daileader)

The Italian Renaissance (36 lectures, Prof. Kenneth Bartlett)

Dante’s Divine Comedy (15 lectures, Profs. William Cook and Ronald Herzman)

Each of these college level lecture is 30 minutes in length.

Shakespeare: The Word and the Action (selected lectures, Prof. Peter Saccio)

Physics with lab. 1.0 credit. 

Textbook: College Physics by Knight, Jones, and Field, with workbook.

A two semester algebra and trigonometry based course following the syllabus of College Physics for non-majors (Physics XXX) at XYZ University with identical assignments and tests.

Topics covered include kinematics, vectors, forces, Newton’s Laws, circular motion, rotational dynamics, linear and angular momentum, energy, fluids, oscillations, waves, electric force, field and potential, circuits, capacitors, magnetism, Faraday’s Law, induction, electromagnetic waves, and optics. The labs had a strong focus on data analysis and error analysis. The evaluation was based on quizzes, homework, and tests.

• Like 3

Here are the course description I wrote for some of my daughter's math classes. Often when writing course descriptions, I found similar ones on line and then reworked them to suit my needs.

I did not include text book names in my descriptions instead I included a separate list of text books used throughout high school.

We used Jacobs' Geometry, 2nd edition, when my daughter did Geometry.  For Algebra 2, we used Lial's Intermediate Algebra.  College Algebra and Trigonometry both used Sullivan's PreCalculus.

MTH 112 - Trigonometry
Trigonometry has wide applications in the world around us. It is a vital tool in construction, physics, and engineering. Trigonometry is preparatory for Calculus 1. The major topics covered include radian measure, circular functions and their graphs, right triangle ratios and related trigonometric functions, identities, solving trigonometric equations, law of sines, law of cosines, and applications. Other topics include polar coordinates, parametric equations, vectors, and conic sections. A graphing calculator is required.
4.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

MTH 111 - College Algebra
College Algebra is the study of basic functions and their applications. This includes polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions and their inverses. Other topics include an introduction to sequences and non-linear systems of equations. In accordance with national recommendations, this course emphasizes skill building, problem solving, modeling, reasoning, communication, connections with other disciplines, and the appropriate use of technology. A graphing calculator is required.
5.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

Algebra 2
A comprehensive course covering: linear equations and inequalities, graphs and functions, polynomials and factoring, rational expressions, rational equations and functions, radicals, complex numbers, linear models, the conic sections, systems of equations including matrix methods, and exponential and logarithmic functions.
(Class taken at home in 10th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

Geometry
This classical geometry course is heavily dependent on deductive reasoning and the proof writing process and also relies on compass-and-straight-edge constructions. Topics include points, lines, planes; rays and angles; congruent triangles; geometric inequalities, parallel lines; quadrilaterals; transformations; area; similarity; right triangles; circles, concurrence theorems; regular polygons and the circle; geometric solids, non-Euclidean geometry and coordinate geometry.
(Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

Do you note in the description how many credits for the class or the grade received anywhere?

As you can see in my examples above, I did note how many credits were awarded for each course.

The grade for each course was noted on my daughter's transcript not in the course descriptions.

Regards,

Kareni