Menu

Road trip food

Ottakee

Does anyone else have special food/snacks they consider their road trip food? Anything you don't normally buy?

CornNuts are my go to snack. Usually nacho cheese flavor. They have been my road trip food since I was a teen. I never buy them otherwise but if I am driving a long distance on a road trip I want to munch on them.

We also usually try to hit a Chick Filet A at some point as because until recently there was not one in our state.

• Like 1

For one of our last long road trips, we were driving in a Muslim country during Ramadan so I had to take plenty of food with us in case restaurants weren't open along the way (I know they can be open for travelers during Ramadan, I just didn't know if they would be or how many).  Anyway, I make sushi and it was wonderful in the car.  It's easy to eat, I can always customize it to the taste of different people in the car, and it felt less unhealthy than other road trip food even though maki sushi really isn't that healthy.  I made it again a few weeks later in the US for another long trip. I also like to make wraps because they're easy to eat too.

Oldest ds like Cheez-Its in the car and middle ds likes wheat thins.  I like to eat fruit in the car because all the other snacks are salty.  Dh like saltines.  Youngest ds eats whatever he can.  

• Like 1

DH and DS like Sun chips. We never buy them other than for long trips.

We do a lot of traveling in the fall for races and I can tend to be kind of a freak about making sure we have enough/ the right kinds. The only restaurants we like to stop at on the road are burrito places, and I have a mental list of our favourites throughout New England. ;)

Mostly I make our road food. Waffles with Nutella are a treat and a fave. Breakfast burritos with eggs and not-sausage. Taquitos are super simple and filling. Wasa crackers with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Spring rolls. Iced coffee and almond milk.

Right now we are on a green smoothie for breakfast kick, so I'll be taking our blender, greens, avocado etc with us. We can blend in the car instead of waking our neighbors in the hotel room. :)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Does anyone else have special food/snacks they consider their road trip food? Anything you don't normally buy?

CornNuts are my go to snack. Usually nacho cheese flavor. They have been my road trip food since I was a teen. I never buy them otherwise but if I am driving a long distance on a road trip I want to munch on them.

We also usually try to hit a Chick Filet A at some point as because until recently there was not one in our state.

This reminds me how our dentist used to tell us CornNuts were one of his favorite snacks...since they sent him so much business ;-)

The closest I can come to road trip food is long road trips are the only time we'd stop with the kids and get fast food - usually A&W for decent hamburgers and wonderful rootbeer floats. Otherwise hubby would have us all pb&j it all the way across country :-(

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

DH has to have goldfish crackers.  One of my sons used to make "breakfast bags" that we'd snack on all day because they were huge - he'd throw in all kind of cereals, pieces of pop tarts, chunks of granola bars, raisins, nuts, pieces of crackers, a gummy vitamin, pieces of cookies, etc.  Big combo of sweet and salty and they were so much fun to eat.

ETA:  I usually pack sandwiches and fruit for lunches.  I don't like to stop to eat.  We pack a cooler with food for everyone to last until dinner.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

What's a corn nut? Is that regional?

On long trips, I tend to go for not-too-messy finger food, and also tend towards relatively healthy since so often the food available when we stop is not.  Carrot/celery/snap peas/red pepper sticks, washed grapes, clementines; already-cut cheese, nuts; bagels, crackers, that sort of thing.  Having munched on vegetables for four hours driving, I don't much care what anybody eats when we finally stop at a fast food place.

For multi-day roadtrips, I freeze juice boxes and line the bottom of a cooler with them, line the sides with those blue ice pack rectangles, then pile up the center in order of how well stuff keeps, with a separate bag for non-perishables.  We just start at the top and eat our way down, lol.

ETA dried fruit: mango, apple slices, etc also.  

Edited by Pam in CT

We pack Triscuits.  They're good for settling stomachs.

For us, part of road tripping is trying things along the way.  When I was a kid we would always stop at the same fruit stand and get what was in season and a few sweets for the road.  We'd only ever get them there, which made the candies pretty special in my memory.

I don't have a particular thing.  But a post upthread mentioned Cheez-its.   The whole family likes them but my husband just LOVES a fresh package of Cheez-its with an ice-cold Coca-Cola (not generic cola-flavored drink, the real thing hahahaha).   So I  make sure we have that when we have a road trip.

Typically we stop at Wawa (regional convenience store with breakfast sandwiches, great coffee, and other delights) for breakfast and then try to keep from getting into the food for at least a few hours. When I am tired and have to drive (not sleepy or dangerous, just tired of driving) I like easy-to-munch foods such as popcorn.  

• Like 1

Cracker Barrel. We only eat there on road trips; it's become a family tradition.

Us too.  I  :001_wub: Cracker Barrel.  It used to be a south-bound road trip treat -- only recently did they start opening up this far North.  

Pretty much Cracker Barrel is the premier world leader in absolute lockstep brand consistency.  Not just the (delicious) carb-on-carb butter-laden menu; the whole caboodle.  Every single one has the bathroom in the exact same place, the penny candy in the exact same place, the six brands of root beer and ginger ale in the exact same place, the 12-month-a-year Halloween costumes in the exact same place, the hair adornments in the exact same place...  there's a certain existential concept-over-location that is both disorienting and comforting, lol.

• Like 3

I'm doing weight watchers as traveling tomorrow. I'm packing a large precut fruit bowl, Quest protein bars, Nik's sticks healthy beef jerky, and water bottle. I'll fill the water bottle and get a yogurt at the airport. Yeah, very focused here.

Before...cheez-its, home baked cookies, m&'s.... Yeah, might explain why I'm on WW. :-0

• Like 1

Us too. I :001_wub: Cracker Barrel. It used to be a south-bound road trip treat -- only recently did they start opening up this far North.

Pretty much Cracker Barrel is the premier world leader in absolute lockstep brand consistency. Not just the (delicious) carb-on-carb butter-laden menu; the whole caboodle. Every single one has the bathroom in the exact same place, the penny candy in the exact same place, the six brands of root beer and ginger ale in the exact same place, the 12-month-a-year Halloween costumes in the exact same place, the hair adornments in the exact same place... there's a certain existential concept-over-location that is both disorienting and comforting, lol.

My brother calls it "Carbohydrate Barrel". Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 2

The whole family likes them but my husband just LOVES a fresh package of Cheez-its with an ice-cold Coca-Cola (not generic cola-flavored drink, the real thing hahahaha).  

I love cheez-its SO much!  Everyone who know me knows of my love for cheez-its and teases me about it.  Years ago, for Mother's Day, my oldest ds went to Costco and bought me 18 pounds of them!  I'm embarrassed at how quickly I ate them!  I eat a big bowl of them every day, but eat pretty well otherwise.  

• Like 1

ind. bags of chips.....doritos, lays, etc....

ind. bags of cookies

boxes of things like wheat thins

trail mix

On this last trip (NC to CA and back) we had a huge box of food and would make up sandwiches each am for the day.....usually 2 per person and some cheese sticks, fruit, and snacks listed above.

• Like 1

Us too.  I  :001_wub: Cracker Barrel.  It used to be a south-bound road trip treat -- only recently did they start opening up this far North.  

Pretty much Cracker Barrel is the premier world leader in absolute lockstep brand consistency.  Not just the (delicious) carb-on-carb butter-laden menu; the whole caboodle.  Every single one has the bathroom in the exact same place, the penny candy in the exact same place, the six brands of root beer and ginger ale in the exact same place, the 12-month-a-year Halloween costumes in the exact same place, the hair adornments in the exact same place...  there's a certain existential concept-over-location that is both disorienting and comforting, lol.

It's really disorienting when you go into a CB that's reversed. You know, like when the restaurant part is on the right side of the entrance instead of the left. Or is it the other way around? Everything's still in its proper place, just mirror image from what you're used to.

• Like 2

It's really disorienting when you go into a CB that's reversed. You know, like when the restaurant part is on the right side of the entrance instead of the left. Or is it the other way around? Everything's still in its proper place, just mirror image from what you're used to.

Whoa! I've never been to one with the restaurant to the right of the store.

One of my neighbors has the mirror image of my house and a different kitchen configuration. It's weird to go in there.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness I've never seen one of these.  Where is this thing?  This rocks my world.  Like that theory that there are parallel universes out there, very similar but not quite identical to ours, once connected and thereafter spliced off at a particular moment in time, that spawned that whole genre of Plot Against America and Golden Compass and others.  

That would totally unnerve me; I already attribute metaphysical meaning to Cracker Barrel, lol.

• Like 1

If I'm driving through the afternoon, I will buy a Mountain Dew. I only drink it around hour 8, or so. Nowadays, caffeine makes me sleep, so idk what's up with that!

Not quite the same, but when we used to drive back and forth to Phoenix, I got a subway pizza every time. I've never even seen them anywhere else but one subway in New Mexico and they were AMAZING.