Menu

Regional dialect? Moi?

Kanin

I was recently at a reading teaching workshop, and found out that I pronounce some sounds differently than my colleagues. I'm from Maine, but I live in Pennsylvania now. The teacher (from Wisconsin) was explaining the difference between the vowel sound in "hot," and the vowel sound in "ball." To me, they sound exactly the same. My boss, a speech-language pathologist, says that they are indeed different. I always thought people around here just had twangy accents... turns out I'm the odd one! :lol:  Are those vowels the same or different where you live?

• Like 1

Yup, that's pretty funny, lol! Yes, they used to talk about General American Dialect. I don't know what they call it now, but it has probably changed. It's what they teach everyone for public speaking purposes, so that if you want to be on the news, etc. you sound the same. 

There are other sounds that are regional, like aspiring the /h/ in "wh". Sanseri I think puts it in her materials that you're supposed to pronounce it, but that's really specific to her region of the country. In linguistics classes I took, they'd do surveys and have a good chuckle over the way things were pronounced. 

So yeah, it's fine, good that you figured it out! Study your vowel circle and have them go through the sounds with you. Even if you don't pronounce words that way, you'd like to understand the production to be able to teach them correctly. :)

You'll get it. You just need a native to tutor you.  :lol:

In all seriousness, make some minimal difference pairs, where the only difference is that one sound. Write the pair of words and have the person who *can* pronounce them say them as you point to the correct one. Then add one more (similar) sound to the field and repeat. You'll get it.

As you work with the vowel circle, place your hand under your chin. Go through the sounds in order, feeling your jaw drop. Notice the rounding of your mouth as the sounds move from more open to more rounded sounds. Have the native place their hand under their jaw as they do the sounds around the circle. That way you can see their jaw drop.

My ds could not pronounce the vowels accurately and consistently, so we had to spend a lot of time connection production and written. That's how we did it, with the lIPS faces, a mirror, and hand under the jaw to feel it happening. The easiest way to discriminate minimal difference pairs is to start on opposite sides of the circle.

• Like 1

I was recently at a reading teaching workshop, and found out that I pronounce some sounds differently than my colleagues. I'm from Maine, but I live in Pennsylvania now. The teacher (from Wisconsin) was explaining the difference between the vowel sound in "hot," and the vowel sound in "ball." To me, they sound exactly the same. My boss, a speech-language pathologist, says that they are indeed different. I always thought people around here just had twangy accents... turns out I'm the odd one! :lol:  Are those vowels the same or different where you live?

They're exactly the same.  But then, I'm also from New England. :D

• Like 1

Those two are different, but pin and pen are definitely the same. 

I've started giving my son the key word (with Barton) when I dictate /i/ words and /e/ words, because I find when I try harder to enunciate the specific sound, it actually sounds worse. I also make sure and point at my mouth so he watches the shape of it (which is different, even though the sound comes out the same) and just accepting that regional accents, in our case, means sometimes he's just going to keep mixing up /i/ and /e/ and I just show him the correct way and explain it was an error in my pronunciation, and we move on. 

(I'm from Texas)

• Like 1

This is why I struggled in my phonetics class. The author of my textbook has a Midwestern accent but I have a mild New England one. I kept getting things wrong like "cherry" having a short e sound and not rhyming with "fairy". Ugh, ugh, ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they rhyme because fairy has a short e sound!

:D

I love the variations.

For me hot has almost an ah sound, mouth quite open, tongue dropped, and the sound being made relatively back as if singing the fa sound in do, re, mi, fa, so...  Though you may say the sound I say as fah differently than I do.  Ball has a sound made closer to front of mouth, with mouth and lips relatively more closed, like lips  have only opened very slightly and jaw only dropped slightly from from a long O sound as in No. When the lips open even farther and the lower jaw drops farther down, then the vowel sound for ball moves into the vowel sound for hot.  If it goes even further into an open and wider stretch, with mid toungue rising a little, it moves to a short a as in apple sound for me.

Possibly if you start by singing a tone with your lips in a tight oooo, and then gradually open lips and lower jaw, you'll pass through the various vowel sounds including the ones that people who have a different sound for hot and ball are making.

• Like 1

I wish I could hear how everyone is saying "hot" and "ball" different. I'm trying my hardest to imagine a distinction! LOL

The people I know who make a distinction have a vowel sound that is like halfway between the vowel in "haul" and the one in "cow".

• Like 1

The people I know who make a distinction have a vowel sound that is like halfway between the vowel in "haul" and the one in "cow".

In the English dialects I have most experienced, ball and haul  rhyme.  

But hot does not rhyme with haul, though it does rhyme with not.

• Like 1

Mine are slightly different.  But, my students in the South said "cot" and "caught" differently, I say them the same.  When we got to the sound in "caught," I would say, you say this differently, it is the sound in the word caught as in "We caught the ball."  I would tell them to say it how they say it.  I tried but could not say it the way they said it so I just had them say it when we go to that point, LOL.

Here is a website where you can see the sounds being made, maybe that will help you see how to put your tongue and throat to make them differently:

http://soundsofspeech.uiowa.edu/index.html#english

I have the app on my phone and use it with my students who have any type of a problem hearing or saying a specific sound.  

Edited by ElizabethB