Menu

s/o of car insurance: best company?

Alicia64

At this point, it's just me and dh driving in our house (our boys are 14 so it's a ways off before they drive).

We've been w/ State Farm for decades.

We have an '01 Toyota Corolla w/ 150,000 miles.

And an '03 Dodge Grand Caravan w/ 155,000 miles.

Neither of us have ever had a car accident or a car stolen. We have perfect records.

I work from home -- and dh is literally seven mins. to work (why we picked this house).

All this and we pay $600 for our cars every six months. So, $1200 a year. (Again, we've been w/ State Farm since 1990.)

This feels way too high.

When I called State Farm and asked about these rates, they said they send me a form to possibly get a discount. (A further discount is applied to your account if you allow a blue tooth device put into your car so they can tally the actual mileage. That will never happen. Too big brother for us.)

If we end up going w/ another carrier -- can you recommend a good one? (State Farm is known for paying immediately if there's any problem. The problem is that they charge big time for this service. My sister's car was stolen and they paid her super quickly.)

TIA!

Alley

My suggestion is to find an independent insurance agent. They can quote you with many companies and help you find the best price. Plus, if your rates go up at some point down the road, they can quote you with different companies and you can keep the same agent. ime, a good agent can make all the difference.

Some of it depends on how many miles you drive.  When my ds moves out, if he gets a place where he can walk to work, it will make a ton of sense for him to go with one of the new-style insurers where you pay a flat fee per month and then a certain amount per mile driven.  It will cut his insurance in half.  For us, not so much.  We have to drive too many places.  

We have been happy and well served by Progressive.  I just got crabby again and looked at going with Costco and they were within $10 of what Progressive charges.  We have had two accidents--one, I got rear ended on vacation and the other, my dh hit another car in a parking lot on vacation.  In other states, both times.  Progressive was quick to deal with both situations, and frankly, without a lot of involvement from me, and I appreciated that.  I know that not everyone has had good success with them, but we have, and are staying with them.

We did have to put in one of the BlueTooth mileage counters in each car but just for one month so they could get an idea that we were telling the truth on our mileage claim.  But after one month, we popped them out and sent them back to Progressive.  

If you are former military (or your spouse, sometimes if your parents were) then I would try USAA. I am not sure what we pay for our insurance (DH deals with that) but any time we have had a claim, I think the longest we have had to wait for our deductible (as none of the claims were our fault) was maybe 2 weeks. They have been great! Basically, if they have to pay out anything above our deductible, they fight to get everything back to us including our deductible. I think one claim we had went $50 over the deductible and they still got us our deductible back. 

• Like 1

Liberty Mutual has been excellent over the many years we've had them.

We have Liberty Mutual for car, home and life insurance. They're great.

I know rates varies by state, but we have 2, 2018 Subarus and pay just about $102/month for full coverage with a $100 deductible. When we had our older car, I think we paid about $25/month for it. 

• Like 1

Another vote for USAA if either of you is a veteran--or if one of you has a parent who is a veteran and a USAA member, they can get you membership as well.

Holy cow!! Dh was in the army for two years back in the very late 80's. (He was allowed in for a two-year plan that they soon stopped offering.) Darn, I wish we had thought of them sooner!!! Thank you all for reminding me about USAA!

Everyone else -- thank you a million for all these great suggestions! I bet this is helping a lot of thread readers save!

Alley

Amica may not be the least expensive, and their premiums are a bit hard to compare since they offer dividends at the end of the year, but their service when it really matters and you have had a loss is SO worth it! We have car, home, and life with them.

Thank you for posting.  Amica is ONE place we could save money on home and car, but I didn't know about their service.  That is worth knowing.