Menu

Do neutered male cats still mark?

Familia

We have a stray kitten hanging around our barn.  It is likely a drop-off.  Although we are undecided about keeping it, we feed it and are considering getting it vaccinated/neutered for its (and our cat's) health and welfare.  If we keep it, I am concerned because I have heard male cats can be such a nuisance with spraying -- the last thing I want added to the barnyard smell is that!

Thanks!

PS, If anyone remembers our 'Zoo-Kitty' from a few years ago, this kitten looks exactly like her and that resemblance adds to the appeal of keeping it.

Zoo-Kitty was just too wild to live in the house.  Never completely socialized, she used our upholstered furniture to do her duty.  We couldn't just put her outside to fend for herself -- outdoor only cats have never been in our lives.  We installed a magnetic door opener for her, and she lives a very spoiled existence in our attached garage, around our house perimeter, and, occasionally, the barn. 

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 2

The younger they're neutered, the less likely they'll mark out of habit. That's one reason it's better to get them before puberty is in full swing.

However, any cat - male, female, altered or not - will spray if they feel stressed or threatened.

This.

All cats can spray regardless of gender and whether or not they are neutered or spayed.

• Like 2

I cared for a stray male cat and had him neutered before puberty. He had his own little room in our garage. I never noticed any smell from spraying in the garage or around the house. He may have sprayed elsewhere.

I encourage you to continue to care for him. Cats are a great asset to a country property and it will be good for him, too!  :)

The younger they're neutered, the less likely they'll mark out of habit. That's one reason it's better to get them before puberty is in full swing.

However, any cat - male, female, altered or not - will spray if they feel stressed or threatened.

Yes, get him neutered young. We've had five male cats that were all neutered as youngsters and none of them have ever sprayed. Our females haven't, either.

• Like 1

Thank you all, this is really helpful.  We have always had cats but avoided males because of horror stories of ruined carpet.   Of course, I just gave an example of a female cat who urinated on our furniture.  So, given that, is spraying any different than urinating?  Is is simply the term for urinating when stressed or for the explicit purpose of leaving the odor?  

Edited by secretgarden

We have two cats who were neutered early.   They spray.   They didn't start to do this until they were like 9 years old.   We have stray cats that come into our yard, and I think that is what triggers the problem.   I'm not sure what to do about it besides try to catch the stray cats.   

Oh no!  In the house?  I just hate that smell -- I feel for you!

I've had 4 neutered male cats over the years and none of them has ever sprayed.  One had kidney stones and missed the litter box for a short time due to that but was fine after treatment and lived to age 16.  I have a 15 year old male cat right now.  They only need to be 2 lbs to neuter.  We get it done ASAP.

• Like 1

All of my male cats sprayed post neuter even the one I had neutered at 6 months. In fact, he was the worst culprit. He was very alpha.

Males don't just spray due to stress. It is a way of partitioning territory, messaging other cats and sending warnings. Some males do this more than others and some color combinations are more likely to spray than others. If a cat has had outdoor access at some point they are also more likely to spray.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I am almost positive that they do Spray.  My wife  ("Catwoman #2") is busy at this time, so I cannot confirm that with her at this moment, but I will do so ASAP and if I am wrong, I will post in this thread again. However, if you are feeding the cat, I believe it's yours...  

• Like 1

At least after they are neutered, the smell isn't so horrifying! I had an unneutered male spray in my house and we actually had to cut the floor boards up and replace them to get rid of the smell! 

I can believe it!

. However, if you are feeding the cat, I believe it's yours...  

LOL!

We have a neutered inside/outside male.  He does not spray in the house.  However, our neighbors had a litter of kittens that now are adults and the cats wander over on our property. Our cat has started spraying outside. 

I hope (if we keep this kitten) that our own outdoor kitty, with whom new kitten is familiar, doesn't cause it to mark it's territory.  I am hoping he, already being familiar with her, would not feel the need. Am I right on that?  

Oh, I should stop talking about keeping it and work to find it a home...but it is cute, sweet, and gets along with our farm animals -- not afraid at all!  

Yes, lol, but they hang out in the basement quite a bit. 

I've heard the smell is way over and above normal regularly cleaned cat box smell.