Menu

What's with the ads?

momtolgd

Which level of Beast Academy

Which level of Beast Academy would you start with for a child who hasn't used it before? He is 10, and his regular math is Singapore. Older dd used a level or two of BA when it first came out, and I think ds will enjoy it. I just don't know where to start! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I use it as a fun supplement a year behind Singapore. We just wrapped SM 5, so we are wrapping up BA 5 this fall. 

Definitely start with Grade 3.  There's lots and lots of gold in there, even for students who are beyond that grade level.  (I haven't seen Grade 2, to make any kind of statements on whether the same holds true...but my almost 11 yr old, who has completed Grades 3, 4 and half of 5, wants me to pick up Grade 2 "just for fun").

• Like 2

Definitely start with Grade 3.  There's lots and lots of gold in there, even for students who are beyond that grade level.  (I haven't seen Grade 2, to make any kind of statements on whether the same holds true...but my almost 11 yr old, who has completed Grades 3, 4 and half of 5, wants me to pick up Grade 2 "just for fun").

I agree with this. We started our 4th grader with 3A because there is a lot to be gleaned and it's a good starting point for getting them in the groove of solving problems the BA way. Our 8th grader is beginning AoPS Number Theory and enjoys reading his younger siblings BA 3, 4, and 5 books. He recently asked if we could purchase a set of workbooks for each grade so that he can complete. LOL

I just looked at this line last night for the first time. My daughter just started 3rd grade so which level of Beast Academy would be most appropriate for her as enrichment? 2A?

If it's a supplement, I'd start with grade three and skip through the chapters, doing the things that are more fun. He probably doesn't need some of the basics stuff, but it would be fun to do the later parts of chapters about things like skip counting. And he probably has never done anything like the chapter on multiominos or some of the stuff about squares.

• Like 2