Menu

Recommend a Latin program for grades 2 & 5

I started my 7th and 5th graders in Visual Latin this year and it's going over like a lead balloon for the 5th grader. I love it for the 7th grader, though! 

Meanwhile, my 2nd grader also wants to try Latin. Recommendations for something that might fit both of them, preferably with a minimum of writing? 

Thanks!

Kara

I'm currently using Getting Started with Latin (GSWL) for my 2nd and 4th grade DDs. We're only on Lesson 25, but so far so good! The lessons are fairly short (10-20 minutes) and there hasn't been a ton of writing. I can't speak to the later lessons, but it may be something for you to check out. 

We're using GSWL too this year.  So far it's a hit.  We did Latin's Not So Tough orally last year to get a foundation, but it has more worksheets than he was ready to add to his day. GSWL is simple.  We introduce the lesson, he makes a flashcard to add to the box, and then we go through the exercises either orally or written.  It's usually about 10 minutes.

I'm currently using Getting Started with Latin (GSWL) for my 2nd and 4th grade DDs. We're only on Lesson 25, but so far so good! The lessons are fairly short (10-20 minutes) and there hasn't been a ton of writing. I can't speak to the later lessons, but it may be something for you to check out. 

DS1 did GSWL when he was in 4th grade.  He did it mostly independently and I don't recall there ever being an issue.  It was a good start for him before Henle.

• Like 1

GSWL gets tougher towards the end. I've successfully used it with a grammar-strong third grader but I wouldn't make a second grader do it. SSL would be a good fit for second grade. If you could get through 1 (seemingly simple task), then you could work through 2 next year and be at a perfect spot to roll into Latin For Children or First Form.

For the 5th grader, I'd totally pick up GSWL, First Form, or LFC.

• Like 2

GSWL for the older one; Song School Latin for younger one if you think it's really really needed -how much time/energy do YOU have for this? Not that SSL is that intensive, but sometimes it could just be that one more thing to get done that tips the scales for your day ;). I have happily taught Latin to second graders, and I have also waited a year because that is what worked best *for me* at that time. 

Or you could (possibly) do Prima Latina. PL is kind of dry and to the point--but I had two children who loved SSL, and two others who preferred PL (songs and coloring pages just got eye rolls from them; they preferred the get down to business aspect of PL).  YMMV. 

As Lynn said, GSWL does get into grammar--my second graders would have tripped up on working with direct objects and predicate nominatives. I prefer to teach grammar in English first; some kids can overload trying to understand the grammar concept AND remember endings AND translate at the same time.  

GSWL was great for my fifth grader who wants to conserve his energy ;) for more important matters. Easy to do orally and do minimal written work.  He is continuing it in 6th grade. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

We like I Speak Latin by Andrew Campbell for younger kiddos. It's oral and active and my kids beg to play Simon Dicit. :) My fourth grader who has dyslexia is doing Prima Latina this year. It doesn't require much writing, and we add little activities and pantomimes to help him retain everything, so it actually doesn't seem too dry.