Menu

Computer Question For Lanny.....Blair Technology Group

mommybee

I see you often suggest buying from this company on ebay but they don't have any laptops available. On the main website BlairTG.com they do....would you recommend I buy directly from the site?

May seem obvious but I'm asking anyway since you said you get them on ebay.

I need a new laptop and I don't want to spend a fortune for one. I've been reading all the old recommendation threads and that's how I got to them.

• Like 1

I see you often suggest buying from this company on ebay but they don't have any laptops available. On the main website BlairTG.com they do....would you recommend I buy directly from the site?

May seem obvious but I'm asking anyway since you said you get them on ebay.

I need a new laptop and I don't want to spend a fortune for one. I've been reading all the old recommendation threads and that's how I got to them.

You are welcome.  Yes, I went onto eBay, a week or so ago, and saw that almost everything Blair had for sale there that day was Desktops, not Laptops. That surprised me, very much.  Before I would purchase from them directly on their web site, I would suggest that you call their toll free phone number and nicely ask for a discount.  I think you might get 10% off or something like that, and/or better specifications (more RAM,  SSD instead of HDD, etc.) if you call them and ask in a friendly way if they can help you out, with a lower price and/or better specifications you might get a better machine.  If you do not ask, you will not receive.

I would try to call on a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, approximately 1030 A.M., EDT, when hopefully they will be more relaxed.

NOTE:   I believe their guarantee now is only for 30 days, but that for an extra 5 dollars, you can extend that for one year.  I wouldn't think for more than one second about that money. Pay Blair for their extended warranty!   Not a warranty from some 3rd party, but where Blair Tech Support will Support you, if you have an issue.

I would try to get something with 8 GB of RAM.   And a 64 bit OS (Operating System) so it can address more than 4 GB of RAM.  

The first 2 of the 3 Dell Latitude E6400 laptops that we bought from Blair were on Amazon, but then I discovered they had a much larger selection (and possibly lower prices) on eBay so we bought the 3rd one on eBay, very unexpectedly, one Saturday, when DD was having an issue with her Desktop.  I have no idea what caused the issue with her Desktop but it is still in daily use and working fine.

• Like 2

OP: I only know about Dell computers, because our family has purchased a bunch of them, starting early in 1997.  Brand New from Dell Latin America to our specifications, 3 Refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 laptops from Blair Technology Group, 2 Used/Incomplete Dell Latitude E6410 laptops I won in eBay auctions from a Seller in PA, and a Dell Precision M4500 Mobile Workstation I won from the same eBay Seller in PA.

I am looking at this Blair web page at 409 P.M.,E.S.T. (509 EDT):

The first one I am seeing is a Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop for $244,99.  We have 2 of that model. Fine machines. I am using one of them as I type this. 

There is no way I would pay that much money for that machine, configured as it is!

The 2nd one on that web page is a Dell Latitude E6440.   Much newer than the E6410.  I would look long and hard at that one.  I would try to get: 8 GB of RAM and to be sure that the Operating System is 64 bits, so it can address 8 GB of RAM.

Over the years, we have also had an Compaq Desktop that I won in a raffle in the superstore years ago, and it was a fine machine, until (I think) the PSU (Power Supply) died and then it was impossible to get Support from HP or from anyone on their  forum. 

We also had a very old Lenovo Desktop that I bought on something like eBay here in Colombia and I used it until something happened and it wasn't worth spending money on.

We have a very old Lenovo CRT (old style bulky) monitor that still works fine.

I have zero knowledge about manufacturers other than Dell, but the only other manufacturer I would consider is Lenovo, which is the largest PC maker in the world.

With Dell, I know exactly how their Support Web Site works, and their Support Diagnostics from their Support Web site,  and I know if I post an issue on their forum, that someone from Dell or a knowledgeable customer is going to respond to me. That did not happen on the HP/Compaq web site, when I was seeking information about the Power Supply in that machine.  

Dells are far from perfect, but there is nothing perfect.

OP:   I just looked at what Blair has listed on eBay and I think there was one (1) Dell laptop.  And then I looked on Amazon and they had less listed there. I didn't see any laptops there.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would call them on their toll free phone number and speak with a salesperson and try to get as much as you can (specification wise) for as little money as you can.

As I wrote earlier, I suspect they might come down approximately 10% and/or upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB of RAM and/or give you a bigger HDD or substitute an SSD for an HDD.  

NOTE: Be sure that you get a 64 bit OS (Operating System).  A    32 bit OS can only address 4 GB of RAM.

Most of our machines have 500 GB hard disk drives.  Unexpectedly, I ended up buying a 240 GB Solid State Drive for the Dell Precision M4500, because the hard disk drive I had for it, after I had installed MS Windows, etc., proved to be faulty.  I think on my own machines i am only using about 60 to 71 GB of space at this time, but if you have a huge amounts of photos, or, worse yet, videos, a larger capacity drive will be very  helpful to you.

• Like 1