Menu

If you have a chest freezer....where in your house is it?

frugalmamatx

I'm curious.

I'm revamping a lot of things in my house as I do a full declutter. Right now my deep freeze is in the laundry room. Which works as it's just off the kitchen, but at the same time it ends up buried under laundry more than I'd like. I'm considering moving it into an area on the other side of the kitchen, but it'd be in a very public area where the living room, entry, dining room and kitchen all meet. It'd be handy for sure, but I"m not sure. My friend says I'm crazy to consider putting it right in the middle of things. 

ETA: I've no garage, which would have been my first choice. And the entire house is tile floors, so no worry about carpet. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

In the garage. In an ideal world, it would be lovely to have a walk-in pantry with enough space for it, but honestly the garage is convenient enough. The biggest inconvenience is that we store the ice cream there because it doesn't get rock-hard like the refrigerator's freezer. I wouldn't want it out in view, so in your case I would look at how to improve laundry practices to keep it clear of stuff.

Edited by Ali in OR

Edited my main post to reflect that I've no Garage to use. 

In the garage. In an ideal world, it would be lovely to have a walk-in pantry with enough space for it, but honestly the garage is convenient enough. The biggest inconvenience is that we store the ice cream there because it doesn't get rock-hard like the refrigerator's freezer. I wouldn't want it out in view, so in your case I would look at how to improve laundry practices to keep it clear of stuff.

Actually improving laundry practices is WHY I'm considering moving it. This house has painfully tiny closets that don't work well for myself or dd. If I move the freezer, I could take the large space there and create a family closet directly opposite the washer and dryer. No excuse for things not being put away when it's all within reach of the machines. 

• Like 1

Do you mean that you're using it as a table to fold clean laundry on?  Because having that is valuable, and I think I would want to keep it.

How often do you open it up?  If it's only once a week or less, I think I would leave it where it is.

I wouldn't want it in a common area because it throws off heat, and also because it would be expensive to run in our common areas, which get really hot about 4 months per year.  I wouldn't put it in the garage because it would be even more costly to run out there.  But in a basement I think it would be nice to have.

• Like 1

My mom always had hers in the basement.

I lived in an apartment when I got my first chest freezer.  I kept it in the kitchen.

When we moved to a house, we again put the freezer in the kitchen.  I really liked the convenience of it.

When we moved again, we put the freezer in the garage.  I would have loved to have had it in the kitchen again, but there just isn't room.  The freezer in the garage failed a few years ago and we haven't replaced it yet.  I miss it.  If/when we get another one I would put it in the basement rather than in the garage.

Basement.

Be aware that not all fridges and freezers are garage rated. The compressor has to work more in the summer months in a garage. If it fails during the warranty period and the unit was in a garage but not garage rated, it will void the warranty. We had our chest freezer replaced for a compressor failure during the warranty period. Ours is garage rated, so it was covered. But we put the new one in the basement.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Edited my main post to reflect that I've no Garage to use. 

Actually improving laundry practices is WHY I'm considering moving it. This house has painfully tiny closets that don't work well for myself or dd. If I move the freezer, I could take the large space there and create a family closet directly opposite the washer and dryer. No excuse for things not being put away when it's all within reach of the machines. 

I have, and love, a family closet in my laundry room. It's simplified my laundry routine.

We keep our chest freezer in the unfinished part of our basement.

I tend to put things where they are practical. If you think it would be better for you in a different area, I would try it there. 

• Like 1

Lol.

Mine is in my 2nd story loft, in between one section of my desk and my filing cabinet!  We don't have a garage, basement, laundry room, or other out of the way space.

When my grandparents lived in a small apartment (which technically wasn't small for 2 people, but was small for the amount of STUFF they accumulated over the years,) they had a small chest freezer in the dining space, threw a table cloth over it, and used it as a sideboard. I thought that was pretty smart.

Do you really think people won't pile stuff on it out in the open?

Oh I'm sure they will. But I'm hoping it'll be less than the piles of clean laundry tbh. And I'm thinking I can use the freezer lid to double as a photo area for ebay listing, so I'll be forced to keep it clean. 

ETA: I'm also concerned with it being in the laundry room with possible water leaks. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

Utility room. But it's super tight in there. We enter the house through there, washer/dryer, furnace, and hot water heater. There is a one person wide path to get theough. I have a laundry basket on top of the freezer that I shift to the washer when I am getting something out.

Edited by Zinnia

In the basement. And I rarely use it because I forget it's even there and a bit of a walk to get to it. DH fills it with deer after hunting. I would use it much more if it were on the main floor. Honestly, I'd be fine without one at all, I'm terrible about thawing things out in time for dinner. 

We do have a small fridge in the garage, but I've designated it for drinks only. It gets way too hot in the garage for it to keep up in the summer and we've had spoiled food.