Menu

Helpful PP for how admissions works

8filltheheart

Glad you found it helpful.  For me, it really helped us understand how to weigh my kids' accomplishments over all.  It worked well as a guide in how to gauge their competitiveness compared to IPED data.  Since merit $$ is vital for our kids, understanding the big picture means making sure those applications are worth it.

Since I have spent so much time researching admissions and going through the process multiple times, I have gained a better feel for reading the profiles of students and estimating their odds of acceptance.  It isn't random or completely unpredictable (to a point). PP like this one are incredibly helpful if you can be extremely critical of your kids' accomplishments.

I have a dumb question for you all.  Are SAT scores viewed as two separate data points?  I've been noticing that many schools provide middle 50 data for math and for EBRW but not necessarily data for total SAT score (though some do, and for some, total is all that is provided).  I'm imagining a situation where it's not necessarily straightforward to see where a student's scores fall.

ETA, does anyone know when can we expect the 2017-2018 Common Data Sets to be reported?  I suspect they might not be helpful for score data due to issues with Old SAT and New SAT, but I'm curious to see how CDS will handle that.

Edited by wapiti

I have a dumb question for you all.  Are SAT scores viewed as two separate data points?  I've been noticing that many schools provide middle 50 data for math and for EBRW but not necessarily data for total SAT score (though some do, and for some, total is all that is provided).  I'm imagining a situation where it's not necessarily straightforward to see where a student's scores fall.

ETA, does anyone know when can we expect the 2017-2018 Common Data Sets to be reported?  I suspect they might not be helpful for score data due to issues with Old SAT and New SAT, but I'm curious to see how CDS will handle that.

In terms of test scores, I compare my kids to whatever the available data is.  For example, if my student's test scores are in the top 10% for  EBRW and the top 25% for math, I know that they are at minimum competitive for the top 25% (assuming that the score range for math isn't broken down smaller than 25% bc of the ranges posted), but I also know that their composite score is probably even stronger than that b/c their scores are not skewed.  FWIW, I make sure that my kids are in the top 25% of everything provided if I want them to be competitive for merit.

I have no idea when 17/18 data will be released, but I would anticipate later than May 1st.

• Like 1

Thanks, 8.

I have no idea when 17/18 data will be released, but I would anticipate later than May 1st.

I meant the 16/17 data that is in the 17/18 CDS, if that makes any sense (as I understand it, the 16/17 CDS reports data from 15/16).  I am guessing some time this fall but I don't understand whether that is usually early fall, late fall, winter.

Thanks, 8.

I meant the 16/17 data that is in the 17/18 CDS, if that makes any sense (as I understand it, the 16/17 CDS reports data from 15/16).  I am guessing some time this fall but I don't understand whether that is usually early fall, late fall, winter.

That's news to me.  I have always assumed that the 16/17 data was for the entering freshman of 17.

That's news to me.  I have always assumed that the 16/17 data was for the entering freshman of 17.

"Common Data Set 2016-2017" has data for freshmen entering fall of 16.  Apparently the CDS is named for the school year during which it was published rather than the admissions season the prior year.

Edited by wapiti