Menu

Here we go.......

"I was wondering if you guys could weigh in here. I was taking my child to a cookie decorating class but when we got there I found out it was really a Civil War reenactment (and can I get a 'Whatup?' with this whole last minute class switcheroo stuff?) So, okay, first of all this goes against our beliefs. We're a small sect of historians who believe that the Civil War was a hoax played upon the citizens by the government in order to boost sales of carpet bags. There is a lot of evidence to support this. We just need to find where the government hid it.

So we get there and I immediately think, "No. We are not doing this." But then my daughter is really disappointed and I can sense her deep psychic hurt so I relent. After all, I don't want to be abusive by insisting that my child follow a code of ethics I feel is in her best interest. So, I let her get dressed up as a Confederate soldier and fire a musket and have some corn bread from a mix and a bowl of canned condensed cream of mushroom soup. Well, now she's obsessed with the Civil War and keeps trying to get information on it. What should I do? I'm thinking one of those riding crop spankings. I recently attended a Moms Love Riding Crops party at my friend's house and all the moms bought at least one. Any advice?"

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was wondering if you guys could weigh in here. I was taking my child to a cookie decorating class but when we got there I found out it was really a Civil War reenactment (and can I get a 'Whatup?' with this whole last minute class switcheroo stuff?) So, okay, first of all this goes against our beliefs. We're a small sect of historians who believe that the Civil War was a hoax played upon the citizens by the government in order to boost sales of carpet bags. There is a lot of evidence to support this. We just need to find where the government hid it.

So we get there and I immediately think, "No. We are not doing this." But then my daughter is really disappointed and I can sense her deep psychic hurt so I relent. After all, I don't want to be abusive by insisting that my child follow a code of ethics I feel is in her best interest. So, I let her get dressed up as a Confederate soldier and fire a musket and have some corn bread from a mix and a bowl of canned condensed cream of mushroom soup. Well, now she's obsessed with the Civil War and keeps trying to get information on it. What should I do? I'm thinking one of those riding crop spankings. I recently attended a Moms Love Riding Crops party at my friend's house and all the moms bought at least one. Any advice?"

Yer Funny. And I'm sure others will answer you with equally funny and witty solutions to your problem. I'm a Classical Wanna Be though---my brain doesn't work fast enough to participate in these festivities.

:D

Guest Virginia Dawn

If this is the 15yo, I would trust her. :-)

Point her to several sources left, right, and center. Provide some good fictional resources as well. Let her talk about it. Ask Socratic questions. Provide alternate points of view. Remain calm. Chances are she won't fall far from the tree.

PS: I assumed you were serious under all that bluster.

Edited by Virginia Dawn
I'm slow

If this is the 15yo, I would trust her. :-)

Point her to several sources left, right, and center. Provide some good fictional resources as well. Let her talk about it. Ask Socratic questions. Provide alternate points of view. Remain calm. Chances are she won't fall far from the tree.

LOL!

Guest Virginia Dawn
There's always a brain behind the bal.....conjones.

I thought it was cojones. Of course I could be wrong.

:auto:

This post really offends me.

Many people, including some of my own family, fought and died in the Civil War. I have read books about the Civil War. I think you are really unenlightened about this real, historic, nationally pivotal event and you need to lighten up in regards to your dd. She needs to have a broader view of the world, imnsho.

Good for you for letting her participate in this harmless event. A healthy respect for firearms is a good thing.

No doubt they have every intention of getting back to the regularly scheduled cookie baking next week.

(:D)

Well, I'm glad you let her participate. It could be considered abuse if you hadn't. I mean if she wanted to do it and you wouldn't let her then it would definitely be emotional abuse. What to do now? I recommend that you just stop leaving your house with her. If you can keep her home long enough and only let her have "appropriate" reading materials she should come around.

Melissa

Use the crop and keep her away from that cornbread. I'm sure they added something to the mix. Your dd's recent obsession is proof. And I have no sympathy for anyone who consumes condensed soup. She will just have to suffer the fruit of her orchard or something like that.

This post really offends me.

Many people, including some of my own family, fought and died in the Civil War. I have read books about the Civil War. I think you are really unenlightened about this real, historic, nationally pivotal event and you need to lighten up in regards to your dd. She needs to have a broader view of the world, imnsho.

Good for you for letting her participate in this harmless event. A healthy respect for firearms is a good thing.

No doubt they have every intention of getting back to the regularly scheduled cookie baking next week.

(:D)

:iagree: As soon as you find the missing government files, then you might have a case. Until then, let your dd eat Johnny Cake!

Use the crop and keep her away from that cornbread. I'm sure they added something to the mix. Your dd's recent obsession is proof. And I have no sympathy for anyone who consumes condensed soup. She will just have to suffer the fruit of her orchard or something like that.

I am absolutely shocked, astonished and horrified that anyone would feed a child cream of mushroom soup. It is a chemical cocktail, loaded with preservatives and artificial flavors. The stuff tasted like plastic, I tell you. It should be banned. I don't even think it is biodegradeable! It is downright abusive to allow a child to consume such a noxious mixture.

I'm so offended. I cannot believe the ignorance and intolerance you are showing here. My kids have severe allergies and I have found the only way to get protein into them is by liberally drowning chicken and meat in Canned Cream of Heaven. You will never know how much I suffer and how judgements like this make me want to go to bed and order pizza - which really would be abusive because my kids are ALLERGIC! Really you should be much more tolerant of other people's differences. I think everyone should have to eat food with Cream of Heaven in it so my kids won't feel excluded!

:iagree: You said it, Cindy. A chemical cocktail...it's a shame.

I am absolutely shocked, astonished and horrified that anyone would feed a child cream of mushroom soup. It is a chemical cocktail, loaded with preservatives and artificial flavors. The stuff tasted like plastic, I tell you. It should be banned. I don't even think it is biodegradeable! It is downright abusive to allow a child to consume such a noxious mixture.

You are judging me. I'm tolerant, but I feel the need to condemn those who don't align themselves to my strict set of beliefs and eating habits.

I'm so offended. I cannot believe the ignorance and intolerance you are showing here. My kids have severe allergies and I have found the only way to get protein into them is by liberally drowning chicken and meat in Canned Cream of Heaven. You will never know how much I suffer and how judgements like this make me want to go to bed and order pizza - which really would be abusive because my kids are ALLERGIC! Really you should be much more tolerant of other people's differences. I think everyone should have to eat food with Cream of Heaven in it so my kids won't feel excluded!

Wow. What kind of sick mind would come up with a post like this? I'm horrified and personally, I intend to no longer have anything to do with the person who wrote this. Seriously, get out of my life. I'm putting you on ignore.

Do you not realize that if the government had not propped up the carpet bag industry that we would all be living under a rock today? Its just like people to not understand that its the carpet bag industry that is the backbone of this country and, indeed, the world. Just another case where the little guy holding everything together behind the scenes gets none of the credit.

Well you have certainly gotten some good advice here! Use the crop and use it often but a crop used without target practice is a waste kwim :glare: I am with you on the carpet bag thing and I suggest that you get you hands on a carpet bag and use it as your target.

The last piece of advice I would give is under NO circumstances should you allow your dd to sing kumbaya, We are the world, or I Would Like to Teach the World to Sing. Children allowed to sing those songs are always warped beyond repair. The last song is especially damaging so beware :nopity: If even the first few bars of anyone of those songs are hummed get the crop and follow it with an hour long target practice, worked wonders on my boys, let me tell ya ;)

Edited by RebeccaC

Wow. What kind of sick mind would come up with a post like this? I'm horrified and personally, I intend to no longer have anything to do with the person who wrote this. Seriously, get out of my life. I'm putting you on ignore.

Do you not realize that if the government had not propped up the carpet bag industry that we would all be living under a rock today? Its just like people to not understand that its the carpet bag industry that is the backbone of this country and, indeed, the world. Just another case where the little guy holding everything together behind the scenes gets none of the credit.

:iagree:

I was totally with you till you got to the cream of condensed cream soup. This really offends me, so I may have to leave the boards and never return. But first I have a question to ask about Harry Potter...

Wow. Next you're going to tell me you passed out candy at Halloween. What. Ever.

Seriously, Zelda, have you thought about going into politics?

wow. What kind of sick mind would come up with a post like this? I'm horrified and personally, i intend to no longer have anything to do with the person who wrote this. Seriously, get out of my life. I'm putting you on ignore.

bwhahahahahahahaha......ha!!

Maybe you could get a crop made out of tinfoil?

First the government props the carpet bag industry; then they start promoting the wall to wall carpet industry, when anyone with half a brain KNOWS that carpet is nothing more than a haven for allergens and germs. It's "friendly germ warfare" in our country. Had more legislators had riding crops used on them as children, this country wouldn't be in the cesspool it's in today!

First the government props the carpet bag industry; then they start promoting the wall to wall carpet industry, when anyone with half a brain KNOWS that carpet is nothing more than a haven for allergens and germs. It's "friendly germ warfare" in our country. Had more legislators had riding crops used on them as children, this country wouldn't be in the cesspool it's in today!

OMG! I never thought of it *that* way!!

This is just too profound. I think I have to go take a nap...

I am shocked as well. :cursing:

That soup is practically toxic just by looking at it!

The metal from the can will infiltrate into the soup. Once this happens it causes a chemical reaction in the nervous system, erupting the brain. Thus, an entire meltdown is unavoidable.

No laws are against it, as their are too many who want it. They persuade others to eat as well.

Do not be deceived. Keep a watchful eye.

We are all victims.