Menu

What programs have you stuck with over the years, for multiple kids?

mathmarm

Same

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons

Story Of The World

Different

Math - different for each kid.

Science - we never really stuck with one science program all the way through, and better things are always coming on the market than what we started with

Language Arts - again, didn't stick with one program through, though we will be doing WWS again probably and MBTP units

Foreign language - different for each kid

Art - we may do this all the way through (artistic pursuits).  It just depends.

Sing, Spell, Read, Write (7 kids plus 1 grandchild)

Horizons Math (all 8)

Hands On Equations Verbal Book (2 so far, #3 next yr)

MUS alg&geo as pre-alg& pre-geo (completed in a single yr) (6 so far, #7 next yr)

Foerster's alg 1&2 (6 so far)

Apples and Pears (for my dyslexics only) (only 2 of them. Missed out on this with my oldest)

Latin Prep (4 so far)

Kinetic Physics (4 so far)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

OPGTR: About 2/3 of the way through with my 3rd kid
WWE & AAS: Recently started both with my 3rd kid

Handwriting Without Tears: 3 kids finished. Although I might be shaking things up for my toddler when she gets there.

Its hard to say others because my younger kids are still fairly young, but it looks like Miquon, Mystery Science, Beast Academy, and Hoffman Academy might be joining that list too.

K12 Phonicsworks (all four)

Story of the World (older three.. as much as I loved it with the older kids, I just didn't want to do it a fourth time.)

Singapore Math (older three)

K12 Science K-5 (older three)

K12 History K (younger three)

K12 Literary Analysis and Composition (older three... this is on my must-do list for high school prep)

Both kids for many years?

Brave Writer

Story of the World

That's pretty much it. Oh, well, they both did nearly all of Explode the Code, but I feel it was a minor mistake in retrospect. And they both did many All About Spelling levels, which was not a mistake, but if I had not already had them, it would not have been worth the price tag for the other kid.

Rod and Staff- English all the way for both of mine. Math all of the way for both of mine. spelling, all the way for one of mine, good for the rules and beginning for another, but then needed to switch because of dyslexia and needs a different type of teaching for the other.   I did the early preschool books with multiple kids and the 1st grade reading and phonics. My plan is to do that with the next as well. We will use all of the above with her. 

Story of the World and Logic Stage WTM history/great book methods. Classical House of Learning lit book lists logic stage. 

Science: WtM elementary methods 

Latin: Memoria Press Latina Christiana and Form Series

All of mine have done Horizons from 3-6 (ok, one of mine is only IN 3, but she will)

Apples and Pears Spelling for all

IEW in the elementary years (and some middle school for some--not all are in high school yet)

We used Sonlight through 5th for the oldest and still use the lit for lower grades and are using Psychology for oldest

Tapestry of Grace going on 7 years

We used HWT for the first 3 and switched to Pentime

Rod and Staff English for the first 2 and the last.

I'm on my third doing Science Explorer for Middle School Science

Everyone did Rod and Staff pre-school.

I have other things I've used for 2 here and there.

Explode the Code (ended up not working for one of mine)

R&S Spelling

God's Design science

R&S 7 history book

Writing With Ease

writing as per SWB's audio lectures <--- working for every single kid so far

Pathway Readers - we don't use the workbooks but we love these for reading practice in early grades, and then I use them for narration and literature later on.

As for English and math, we used to be a MM/R&S English family, but now we're a TT/LLATL family. I like the change very much but I haven't used it for enough years to add it to the list.

Two DSs here, with very opposite needs/learning styles. Things we stuck with for BOTH DSs over MULTIPLE years:

- read alouds together (infancy through gr. 12)

- various critical thinking and logic puzzles, books, games done together (gr. 1-10)

- made our own History and Science, done together (gr. 1-8 -- for high school switched to formal programs)

The only program I can think of used by both DSs for several years was Winston Grammar (both DSs used all 3 levels of Basic, Word Works, Advanced), and it was just one of multiple grammar resources we used during the gr. 1-8 years.

Not used by both, but for math, DS#1 stuck with Singapore Primary up through levels 6A/B plus Singapore's NEM 1, and DS#2 stuck with Math-U-See (from grade 5 through grade 11).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Two DSs here, with very opposite needs/learning styles. Things we stuck with for BOTH DSs over MULTIPLE years:

- read alouds together (infancy through gr. 12)

- various critical thinking and logic puzzles, books, games done together (gr. 1-10)

- made our own History and Science, done together (gr. 1-8 -- for high school switched to formal programs)

I was thinking the answer for me was, "Er, none, completely," (although I reassure myself that I learn from each new thing I try and bring those lessons into the Next Thing), but yes, this is true, so far! The program of reading aloud and playing games/doing puzzles is one I feel like I can stick with infinitely and works for all of us. I appreciate having this not-so-obvious consistency pointed out!

• Like 2

I like to change things up year to year and kid to kid, because I get bored easily, plus my kids are all so different, but...

SOTW for history is the one thing I've used with all 3 of my currently school aged kids and have used it for several years. We've sometimes done other things (like a year of Sonlight) or used programs that use SOTW (TOG, Wayfarers), but SOTW just works for us.

But everything else... I'm glad I changed things a lot with my oldest, because I decided to homeschool the younger two instead of virtual school this year and started homeschooling the next day after the decision... I was able to pull everything I needed out of the curriculum closet. They're both doing different things for skills subjects, but I still had everything I needed. :)

• Like 1

Math

Rightstart (A-E)

then Singapore 4B-6A for a year

then Dolciani Pre-Algebra

Language Arts

phonics: Hooked on Phonics

grammar: First Language Lessons 1-4 - them move to Analytical Grammer for 6-8th grade

writing: Writing with Ease 1-3

writing: then we move to IEW SWI-A in 5th grade for Writing

spelling: All About Spelling 1-8

literature: Lightning Literature (great new success) - 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th (trying 4th this yr)

handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears then Zaner-Bloser for cursive

I've been fortunate, much of what has worked for us continues to work for us. We've been in & out of other subjects/curriculum, but these are my steadies - and for many, I'm up to kid #6 with them, still going strong - and 'graduated' one to high school where he's getting straight As in outsourced classes so good solid foundation.

Edited by mirabillis

All 3 have used 

• Before Five in a Row
  • Kumon Let's Cut, Paste, Fold & some other one
  • Five in a Row
  • Story of the World (2 kids went through with Build Your Library)
  • Song School Latin (although not a one remembers anything from it!)
  • the same logic books: Balance Benders, Detective Club, One Hour Mysteries
  • All 3 started in All About Spelling - 2 switched to Apples and Pears due to dysgraphia/suspected dysgraphia

I expect all 3 to use (younger ones have not gotten there):

• Build Your Library 7 (the geography year)
  • Oak Meadow Integrated Health and PE (if they are home for high school)
  • Rainbow Science Year 1

I keep each kid in their own math; high school math may end up the same for a kid or two. I've never really found a elementary science program I liked, so I ended up with bits and bobs of living books, some experiment books, some co-op classes, some outside classes.

Singapore Math (4 kids)

Education Unboxed with C rods for early math (4 kids)

Mcguffey Readers with magnetic letters for early reading (5 kids)

MENSA lists for K-8 literature (4 kids)

R&S Grammar and Spelling (2 kids)

WWE/WWS (3 kids)

Roman Roads (Old Western Culture) - Just DS1 has used this, but it's great.  I bought the DVDs and plan to use for the little boys when they get there.

GSWL (2 kids)

Story of the World (5 kids)

• Like 1

Mine are 4th and K, so much too soon to have done anything for many years or multiple kids. 

However, we keep returning to Singapore. We did it in K and 1st, then tried something else for 2nd and went back to singapore mid-year. PS for 3rd. Tried MM this year, didn't make it long before we ordered Singapore again. I'm using it for my K, too. I actually really like it and I don't know why we keep second guessing and trying other things! We're done now and will stick with Singapore with BA on the side. 

We also keep going back to RSO so far. 

A Beka phonics (K4 and K5) to learn to read

BJU reading, math, and English for early elementary

CLE math, LA, and reading for upper elementary and middle school

FIguratively Speaking in middle school

BJU life science in middle school

Ds just entered high school, and so far I'm not using anything I did with dd, but there may be things later. 

Mine are so different in many ways but there have been some favorites.

Logic of English Foundations- used with 2 so far (wasn't around when ds was little and probably would not have fit him) I'll start dd3 with it next year

I See Sam Readers- Ds learned to read with them, the girls have used them for reinforcement

MEPR &MiFK- Used with both girls so far and plan to use again for dd3

Apples & Pears for both of my struggling spellers- #3 won't need it and #4 is too young to tell

WWE- ds used all the levels, dd1 used some and dd2 is using some as well and I'll likely do levels 1 & 2 with #3 as well

Bravewriter- bits and pieces of different programs

SoTW- first 2 levels- used with ds- just started using with the girls

Writing and Rhetoric- I've used with 2 so far and plan to use again, ds just used books 1-3 and so far that's all I have planned for dd2

Treasured Conversations- 2 down and 2 more to go

Poetry Tea- is a household favorite, there might be a mutiny if canceled it

Nature Study- We've done it with various consistency and formality over the years but it remains

Read-Alouds- I don't read aloud near as much as when ds was little as I had more time and he just loved it more but it still continues on

Some programs I think we will likely use again but it is too early to tell--

Writing with Skill- I'm using now with ds and I think it will be a good fit for dd1 as well (I'm already thinking we will likely start it next year at half speed) too early to tell with the other 2

MegaWords- Using with Ds this year and will very likely use with dd1, dd2 won't need it and dd3 is too early to tell

Artistic Pursuits- just started this year with the girls, wish I would have tried sooner, dd1 is using it independently and I do dd2's orally and she works on projects w/ dd3

Is this progymnasmata thing from CAP or Memoria Press or someplace else?

So it's actually like an approach ... it's a system of writing. And it's great, you should definitely look into it!

Different companies have written curricula that follow the progymnasmata system of writing.  CAP has one (Writing & Rhetoric). Not long ago, Memoria Press added one also (Classical Composition).

Classical Writing was my first exposure to the system, but proved too challenging for me to use at the time I needed to use it. I'm not sure if they're still around because I don't hear much about them anymore? I still have a few old books. As CAP and MP added the progym to their curricular lineups, I was able to better incorporate their products into our school. I have one more student to go, and will definitely teach him the progymnasmata. It remains to be seen if I'll continue to use W&R and CC, or if something better will come along (though both are tough acts to follow!)

Is this progymnasmata thing from CAP or Memoria Press or someplace else?

So it's actually like an approach ... it's a system of writing. And it's great, you should definitely look into it!

Different companies have written curricula that follow the progymnasmata system of writing.  CAP has one (Writing & Rhetoric). Not long ago, Memoria Press added one also (Classical Composition).

Classical Writing was my first exposure to the system, but proved too challenging for me to use at the time I needed to use it. I'm not sure if they're still around because I don't hear much about them anymore? I still have a few old books. As CAP and MP added the progym to their curricular lineups, I was able to better incorporate their products into our school. I have one more student to go, and will definitely teach him the progymnasmata. It remains to be seen if I'll continue to use W&R and CC, or if something better will come along (though both are tough acts to follow!)