Menu

Just a vent

Elizabeth86

Can someone explain to my dh the price of things go up in 20 years?

We took our kids to the county fair this weekend and he was carrying on about how expensive everything was and how you used to be able to take an x amount of money to the fair and have a good time. Well no kidding it cost less 20 years ago, but I remember my parents complaining about how much it cost back then. So yeah less amount of money, but still the same size chunk missing from your paycheck. The old folks probably could have gone to the fair for a nickel, but that dang nickel went faaaaar back then.

Im venting because I was so annoyed I couldnt even talk about it. He knows things like this. Im not sure why hes running around acting like a 90 year old man. Back in my day....

Thanks fot listening. lol

He also had the nerve once many years ago to tell me how.much his mom spent on groceries each week back in the day and wondered why we spent so much. This is a usually very smart man. I have no idea why he cant wrap his head around things like this.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 6

Im venting because I was so annoyed I couldnt even talk about it. He knows things like this. Im not sure why hes running around acting like a 90 year old man. Back in my day....

This made me LOL this morning!  I've been known to tell my dh who is in his early fifties to quit acting like he's 95.  

Much sympathy here.  I hate it when my dh goes grocery shopping with me because it's the same thing.  I think it's because he just doesn't do much shopping except for techie stuff so he hasn't noticed that prices have increased at other places.  Sure a laptop is cheaper than ten years ago but roast beef, nope, that's gone up, as has everything else.

• Like 4

This made me LOL this morning! I've been known to tell my dh who is in his early fifties to quit acting like he's 95.

Much sympathy here. I hate it when my dh goes grocery shopping with me because it's the same thing. I think it's because he just doesn't do much shopping except for techie stuff so he hasn't noticed that prices have increased at other places. Sure a laptop is cheaper than ten years ago but roast beef, nope, that's gone up, as has everything else.

Glad I could make you laugh. My dh is 35 and his dad is 79 so I totally get where he gets it from. Both of us have "older" parents, so we are botg basically young old people.

Have you ever calculated an estimate for him? Take the average inflation rate, multiply by 20? This is not accurate because it does not take into account compounding and fluctuations in inflation rate, but it is a helpful tool to see what kind of price increase is to be expected and "normal". He may respond better to a concrete number than to the abstract idea of inflation.

• Like 4

Have you ever calculated an estimate for him? Take the average inflation rate, multiply by 20? This is not accurate because it does not take into account compounding and fluctuations in inflation rate, but it is a helpful tool to see what kind of price increase is to be expected and "normal". He may respond better to a concrete number than to the abstract idea of inflation.

Thought about it, but wasnt sure how to go about it.

Vary your approach each time. Use Regentrude's idea, point out how much he sounds like his parents, before you go ask him how much tickets used to cost and how much he thinks they will cost now, ask if he is clear about how inflation affects prices, do the thing where you explain cost as a percentage of income, etc.

The challenge of a varied approach might make the whole repetitive conversation more interesting for you. Plus, if you are lucky you will find something that clicks with him and the conversation will change.

Not quite the same, but once my dh explained how his mom handled house cleaning. Temperature in the room dropped 20° while I waited for him to clarify why that was relevant.

• Like 5

Vary your approach each time. Use Regentrude's idea, point out how much he sounds like his parents, before you go ask him how much tickets used to cost and how much he thinks they will cost now, ask if he is clear about how inflation affects prices, do the thing where you explain cost as a percentage of income, etc.

The challenge of a varied approach might make the whole repetitive conversation more interesting for you. Plus, if you are lucky you will find something that clicks with him and the conversation will change.

Not quite the same, but once my dh explained how his mom handled house cleaning. Temperature in the room dropped 20° while I waited for him to clarify why that was relevant.

lmao bet he didnt bring that up again.

• Like 5

How much did he make 20 years ago? (Obviously, not much, since he would have been 15 years old. How much did his parents make 20 years ago?) It won't be nearly the same - as I believe food/core inflation has risen more than salaries, but it should help with the overall idea.

As an example, if my father made $20,000 in 1985, it is the equivalent of $46,000 now. 

I found one chart with food inflation since 1992 - for the grocery argument.

• Like 1

How much did he make 20 years ago? (Obviously, not much, since he would have been 15 years old. How much did his parents make 20 years ago?) It won't be nearly the same - as I believe food/core inflation has risen more than salaries, but it should help with the overall idea.

As an example, if my father made $20,000 in 1985, it is the equivalent of $46,000 now.

I found one chart with food inflation since 1992 - for the grocery argument.

Ha thats spot on. I will let him take a look at this calculator. Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

My mom used to be that way, and as I get older I find I'm doing it too.   It's an emotional response, probably conditioned (in my case) by a very frugal mother.  I mean, I know in my head that of course things are more expensive, but it still seems shocking sometimes.  My kids gently remind me that sure, things are more expensive, etc etc.  And then we go on till I do it again.  At a fair or something like that, I just do it in my head so I don't wreck everyone else's fun.  

:-)

• Like 1

Thought about it, but wasnt sure how to go about it.

The long term average inflation rate is approximately 3.2%.

Over 20 years, neglecting compounding, that alone should get a 64% increase. With compounding, it's quite a bit more.

Not exact, but gets the point across

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Does he make a bit more than his family did back in the 80s?  Or does he make close to the same.  If he makes more (some do, some don't), then you'd have to look at percentage of income that day at the fair cost to see how it compares.  If he makes close to the same amount (many salaries haven't changed much over the years), then he has a point to be fair to him.  He's earning and can't "provide" as much for his kids as easily.

I feel sorry for many younger couples and families today when their earning isn't much more than what hubby and I earned in our younger years, but housing, fair costs, movies, cars, and oodles of other things have increased a bit more during that time.

• Like 1

Does he make a bit more than his family did back in the 80s? Or does he make close to the same. If he makes more (some do, some don't), then you'd have to look at percentage of income that day at the fair cost to see how it compares. If he makes close to the same amount (many salaries haven't changed much over the years), then he has a point to be fair to him. He's earning and can't "provide" as much for his kids as easily.

I feel sorry for many younger couples and families today when their earning isn't much more than what hubby and I earned in our younger years, but housing, fair costs, movies, cars, and oodles of other things have increased a bit more during that time.

Im not 100% on that, but the best I can tell we are doing better. I just feel annoyed because this is the same man with an 8-10 dollar a day cigarette habit. So, I dont care. Cough up the money to let your kids enjoy their childhood and quit wasting money killing yourself.

And for the record I do love this man dearly. I do.

Edited by Elizabeth86

I'm not a 90 year old man, but I balk at the prices at the fair. It's not really about what things used to cost, I just think they are too expensive now for what you get. I'm frugal (or cheap). I don't mind paying for things I see as value for my money, but prices at the fair are inflated and I see no point to spending that much.  Movie theatres are the same - especially the food.

• Like 1

I'm not a 90 year old man, but I balk at the prices at the fair. It's not really about what things used to cost, I just think they are too expensive now for what you get. I'm frugal (or cheap). I don't mind paying for things I see as value for my money, but prices at the fair are inflated and I see no point to spending that much. Movie theatres are the same - especially the food.

I agree, but my point to dh is our parents coughed up the cash even though it was expensive for us to have fun and it makes me sad its not worth it to him for our kids.

• Like 2

We haven't had unlimited money for fair stuff. We pack a lunch instead of buying greasy fair food. I give the kids just a few bucks for the games on the fairway. (I want them to have the experience but honestly the prizes are junk.). Other than the admission price you can have a lot of fun doing the free stuff like looking at the animals and 4H exhibits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We haven't had unlimited money for fair stuff. We pack a lunch instead of buying greasy fair food. I give the kids just a few bucks for the games on the fairway. (I want them to have the experience but honestly the prizes are junk.). Other than the admission price you can have a lot of fun doing the free stuff like looking at the animals and 4H exhibits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didnt play any games and we broughy lunch from subway. 1 bag of cotton candy. Rides for the oldest 2 and thats all.

Im not 100% on that, but the best I can tell we are doing better. I just feel annoyed because this is the same man with an 8-10 dollar a day cigarette habit. So, I dont care. Cough up the money to let your kids enjoy their childhood and quit wasting money killing yourself.

I'm in agreement with you then!  Yes, "extra" money should be shared within a family.

• Like 1

😱

You all must be very well off, if you can tolerate this!