Menu

Floridians - check in here please

Liz CA

Most of you are likely without power or evacuated. Prayers. :grouphug:

Sue in St. Petersburg

Sebastian Cat

Minniewannabe

I remember you were in the path of Irma. I don't know who else lives in the Sarasota / Tampa / West Coast area. Praying for all of you!

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

I'm in Clearwater (Pinellas County) between the gulf and the bay outside of Tampa.

So far nothing but a slow steady rain (nothing hard or sideways), and barely any wind to speak of.  I mean the trees are completely still right now.  We have power so far.

Our worst is forecast for 8 pm - 8 am.

ETA:  the forecast for our area keeps changing for the better 

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 6

East Central Florida here, near Kennedy Space Center. We were just under a tornado warning and will stay under a watch for many more hours.

We still have power. We're getting a lot of rain with occasional wind gusts. Parts of the county I live in has flooding and parts have been hit by tornadoes. We're expecting it to get worse as the day goes on but we also expect to be fine. 

If our lay person's rain gauge is correct we had 5 inches in 3 hours and my street is fine. 

ETA: We're on the northeast side of Irma, which is the worst side. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

We're in Orlando. Forecasts suggest that we will be spared the brunt of the storm, but what we do get is likely to be later this evening and/or overnight.

Over the last few days, we got ourselves as prepped as we could. We have food and water for people and pets. We carted all of the outdoor furniture and doo-dads to the garage and boarded up most of the windows. We have a plan for how to corral the cats if it looks like we might need to leave in a hurry. I did all the laundry and did some cleaning in the house so it will be as pleasant as possible to hang out here for a few days, should we need to do so.

My son's girlfriend and her family live in a mobile home. Her parents evacuated with their dogs to stay with family a couple of states north. She is here with us. 

The four of us spent most of yesterday evening playing board games and eating desserts. 

Today, both son and his girlfriend are studying for their online classes, poking their heads out now and then in search of food or conversation.

I'm trying to finish prepping for a certification exam I have scheduled for Friday morning. The study  materials are all online, so I'm trying to cram as  much as I can just in case we do lose power and/or internet.

My husband is napping on the couch.

It's been raining pretty consistently since early this morning, getting wetter and a bit windier as the day has progressed. Thus far, though, we've had enough breaks that I can take the dog outside when she tells me she needs to go.

• Like 5

So far, so good in Tampa.   We've had steady drizzling rain with a little bit of wind most of the day, and a few heavier bands.   It's supposed to get bad around 7 p.m., with the worst between 1-3 a.m.   We still have power, so we are eating out the fridge, doing laundry (again), and my kids have been binge watching Outrageous Acts of Science while we still have power.

The path has wobbled several times today (totally normal), but the center is supposed to pass very close to us overnight.   Right now they are saying it will be weaker than originally forecast by the time it gets to us - a weak category 2 instead of 3 or 4.

• Like 3

Our turn for a tornado warning. Maps are showing it heading pretty much right for our area in the next five minutes or so. 

Update: Okay, we had a little bit of a panic when I couldn't reach one of the cats to transfer him to the room I want them in so I can snatch them up and shove them into carriers in case of a we-need-to-leave-now situation. But the warning has expired, and we're all safe. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

Tampa is getting full blown tropical storm force winds now and blowing rain.   No tornadoes in our immediate area (yet).   We still have power, for which we are very thankful.   One more meal cooked, one more day with a working fridge, one more hot shower, one more load of laundry done.   It's funny how your priorities change.

• Like 7

It looks like the storm is headed for central FL and not Tampa.  This is super good for the St Pete and Tampa boardies.  Hopefully the storm also dying down quite a bit will be helpful for central FL boardies.

Those multiple tornadoes are a bit scary and the Keys look like they got pretty hit.  Do we know if any boardies were down there?  Barb, have you heard from your relatives?  Anyone else with relatives down there?

I haven't heard from my Uncle, but the fact that they lowered the flood surge for Naples should make him safe, esp since buildings held up relatively well with the wind.  I don't know about trees...

• Like 1

It looks like the storm is headed for central FL and not Tampa. This is super good for the St Pete and Tampa boardies. Hopefully the storm also dying down quite a bit will be helpful for central FL boardies.

Those multiple tornadoes are a bit scary and the Keys look like they got pretty hit. Do we know if any boardies were down there? Barb, have you heard from your relatives? Anyone else with relatives down there?

I haven't heard from my Uncle, but the fact that they lowered the flood surge for Naples should make him safe, esp since buildings held up relatively well with the wind. I don't know about trees...

No one has heard from them yet but I'm hearing reports that cell phone towers are inoperable. The news is reporting Key West damage isn't as bad as feared but the middle and upper keys were much worse. There are rumored fatalities. My mil in key largo took off for Texas earlier in the week.

Thank you for asking, Creekland.

Still hoping for good news from affected boardies.

• Like 4

This is what is so frustrating about living through hurricanes. The eye of the storm is now about an hour due east of us. We are still having wind gusts into the 90+ mph range, but Tampa is not getting nearly what we expected to receive. Our power has gone off several times but is currently on. I have family in Orlando, Clermont, and Daytona that have been without power for hours and have been getting tornado warnings all afternoon and evening. We aren't out of the woods yet, but we have been very fortunate.

My poor dog hasn't been out to potty for 8+ hours now, and she won't use the improvised box we set up for her in the garage. It's still too dangerous to take her outside, but hopefully in a couple hours she can finally get to go out.

Edited by SebastianCat
  • Like 3

I'm in Apopka on the edge of Orange County. The eye is heading our way. Very glad we prepared so well. We are boarded up completely. We lost power but have coolers that we moved the food to, LED lanterns, a battery radio that also does solar and hand crank, battery back ups for the phones and small battery fans.

We do have a leak in the garage roof and a fence down. But we are safe.

• Like 6

Probably my last update for now, because I'm about to go get some sleep  (I hope). Local news is saying that the strongest winds and such should be past us soon. We still have power, although last year during Matthew, it was actually after the storm had more or less passed that the electricity went out. So, I won't be surprised if we do end up in the dark at some point. In the meantime, I'm grateful things have gone  so well for us for this long. 

We'll see what things look like in daylight.

• Like 6

We evacuated to Atlanta. It's been a crazy week. Thankfully the storm is finally weakening. We decided to leave to avoid going through it. I hate hurricane sitting and it was projected to be right on top of us. I hope everyone stays safe! And travels safely. We should head back tomorrow.

I must say, it's amazing how few things we brought to evacuate. Almost nothing sentimental, except my computer with pictures. I'd be sad if everything was gone, but most stuff can be replaced.

• Like 1

We are in north central Florida, no major issues here. We have some downed trees and the yard is completely flooded, but no major damage to the house. About half the county lost power, we did not. Family in Fort Myers area is well and power is back on, but the storm-surge flooding is extensive. My mother cannot get within a half mile of her house. The houses she can see closest to her own are in about six feet of standing water.

• Like 3

Some roof shingles are gone, others damaged and a minor leak. Some fencing fell down. Lots of tree branches down. Idiot neighbors are trying to rake while we still have 45mph winds. I don't have cell or data coverage but husbands work phone does. We are still under curfew.

• Like 8

All good here!  We were really, really lucky.  House behind me lost a lot of roof shingles, but we are in a newer neighborhood with underground fiber optic wiring so our power stayed on..  I think the country club where DH works is going to be a total mess though.   

Whew!!

• Like 5

Two sets of relatives live in the Miami area and are fine. One got power back mid-morning, and the other is still waiting. One has no damage, and one was still assessing several hours ago.

DH is more towards the gulf side. No word; calls don't go through. I understand that power, phone, and cell service is almost completely out in that county.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 3

Quick update because I keep having to charge my phone on the car. We lost power just after 7 Sunday night. Wind howled all night but we managed to sleep on and off. We lost a few shingles, a small piece of ridge vent, and a couple pieces of soffit. Other than that lots of yard debris and still no power. Pretty much what we expected and what we prepared for. Steaks in the freezer will go on the grill tonight.

• Like 6