Menu

Who is in San Diego?

MomOfABunch

I'm seriously considering moving to San Diego and I have questions for locals! Thanks so much for your help 😀

- How is the homeschool community?

- Is DE covered?

- Any relevant details about college in state

- Autism/disability services for kids

- Autism/disability services for adults

- Is there a good, ABA based private day/residential school?

- Anytthing else that I should know

• Like 1

Re: college in state

You need to look at a-g rules for classes. It is more complicated than many other states. As a homeschooler you can not get the a-g certification for your classes. There are other ways to satisfy the requirements but they involve testing or community college classes.

Re: dual enrollment

It depends on the school how easy it is to get the classes you want. Each college can set their own rules.

And welcome to California

Re: college in state

You need to look at a-g rules for classes. It is more complicated than many other states. As a homeschooler you can not get the a-g certification for your classes. There are other ways to satisfy the requirements but they involve testing or community college classes.

Re: dual enrollment

It depends on the school how easy it is to get the classes you want. Each college can set their own rules.

And welcome to California

Ok, thanks for that. Off to research a-g now! I'm looking at UC San Diego for DE and probably UC somewhere for college for DS1.

Off to research a-g now! I'm looking at UC San Diego for DE and probably UC somewhere for college for DS1.

Checking off UC a-g requirements through exams webpage http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/minimum-requirements/subject-requirement/

UC academic planner guide for high schoolers PDF http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/My_Academic_Planner-EAOP.pdf

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for that. Off to research a-g now! I'm looking at UC San Diego for DE and probably UC somewhere for college for DS1.

I don't know that you should plan on doing dual enrollment at any UC school. They are very very full of students. Freshman that are admitted directly to the school are having a hard time getting classes. Dual enrollement is almost exclusively a community college thing. (Private colleges and univerisities are their own thing and may allow dual enrollment at significant cost.)

And getting into a UC is not a sure thing even for California residents. Especially the popular ones like UC Berkeley, UC Los Angeles and UC San Diego. UC Merced is a different matter entirely, but it is new and not in a popular location.

• Like 1

I don't know that you should plan on doing dual enrollment at any UC school. They are very very full of students. Freshman that are admitted directly to the school are having a hard time getting classes. Dual enrollement is almost exclusively a community college thing. (Private colleges and univerisities are their own thing and may allow dual enrollment at significant cost.)

And getting into a UC is not a sure thing even for California residents. Especially the popular ones like UC Berkeley, UC Los Angeles and UC San Diego. UC Merced is a different matter entirely, but it is new and not in a popular location.

Good to know. Thanks.

I'm reading up about a-g and I'm confused. Has anyone else moved into CA during high school? DS1 is in 10th grade this year. If he goes through a charter, will they be able to count as a-g?

ETA: Never mind, found a past thread that explains it. Thank you boardies!!!

Does anyone know about disability services?

Edited by MomOfABunch

I'm in San Diego. Dual enrollment is for community colleges. Students in their Junior or Senior year can take two classes per semester for free at City/Miramar/Mesa or Grossmont/Cuyamaca. If your student signs up for more than one cc "system" they could potentially take more classes. The only cc's that allows 10th graders are Palomar and Mira Costa, they are far and you have to get professor approval. But several friends have done it, works well for online classes. Not sure about what happens with kids who enroll in a homeschool charter who are from another state. My kids are with Dehesa. It's a solid WASC accredited program with a-g courses.

As scar as colleges go, I have a kiddo at sdsu. He hates it lol, too big he says. It's tough to get in, the year he started, they only took 3% of applicants. Many students go to community college first and then get into a CSU from there. You're guaranteed a spot at one of them if you do the transferable degree at a local cc. Our community colleges are great. I have a kiddo at Grossmont College. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

• Like 1

I've been doing lots of research about this area the past couple days!!  For DS1, we would most likely go the CC route to a CSU rather than a-g, which looks like too much hassle, jumping into it midway through his 10th grade year.  I'm not particularly worried about this for right now.  

With my current job, I can transfer and would most likely be working in San Ysidro, though I won't know for sure until I formally make the request.  Any information specific to San Ysidro would be helpful.

Does anyone know about Autism services?  We've lived in California before and had to navigate the regional center process, but further north.  Is there anything special to consider about Autism services in San Diego?

Thanks!