Menu

Stitch Fix #4 arrived. Another great fix!

Ginevra

Such a happy girl I am because I did not have to shop for these clothes yet they came here and I love them! 4/5 strong yesses, one iffy, though I am buying the whole box. Here's what arrived:

1. A cream and delft-ish blue printed blouse with a ruffle placket. So adorable. I give it an 8/10. It is a little boxy in shape, which I don't like. I think I am going to whip out my sewing machine and take in the side seams a little in a curve. If I had no such skills, I would still keep this top; it's beautiful. (Called: Alice Blue Kendahl Ruffle Top, if anyone wants to search.)

2. A black blouse with lace at the top and on the cap sleeves. Just beautiful. 10/10. Called: Truly Poppy Jarred Lace Detail Cap-Sleeve Blouse.

3. A burgundy waffle-knit cardigan. This was an immediate, definite yes and I asked for a cardigan specifically. I love it! 10/10. This is called: RD Style Montoya Open Cardigan.

4. Black straight leg jeans with NO HOLES. I was very specific on that point. These are Kut from Kloth and I LOVE them! They are entirely perfect and feel wonderful. Booty looks great; fabric is soft with gentle give. In retrospect, it would be good to have some skinny cut because they don't look as good with booties in a straight leg. But I would never dream of sending these back. I love them. 10/10.

5. So, the last and only questionable item. The booties. They are in all respects but one exactly what I wanted. They are called Tahari Charles Suede Bootie. I love the laced-up back detail. Alas, I am not a big fan of the color. They are Olive Green. 😠However, if I send them back and forfeit my whole-box discount, I will come out only $17 ahead. I could not get different booties for $17. And I do not hate them. But I do not love the color. My DD said I should keep them; they are cute and she reasons I should not write something off automatically because I would not pick that color. She has a point...part of my goal with this service is to branch out a little bit. So, I am keeping them.

So, there you go. Another very good Stitch Fix experience. I am still on monthly delivery at the moment and I think I am going to keep it that way for now. I still need to build up some great clothes for fall and winter so I want to see what comes in October.

P.S. I did peek at this shipment a few hours before it arrived, which I thought I wouldn't do. My reasons were practical though: I was heading out near the mall and if this fix did not have black jeans, a cardigan, and a bootie in it, I was going to try to buy those items today. I thought my box would come yesterday, but when it didn't, I decided to do the on-line peek to see if those fall items were coming. I do prefer the surprise, though. It feels more like a present if I wait. :)

• Like 15

Can you resell the booties for more than $17?

Probably, but I am really a bad seller of things. I am somehow just an idiot with selling my goods. This is why I have $225 worth of MCT books in pristine condition sitting in a cabinet in my homeschool room...

You know, olive is shaping up to be a great neutral.

It looks awesome with fall colors, and with metallics. Plus you can wear all black and olive boots and either striking turquoise jewelry for an artsy look, or a jeans jacket for casual/beat.

True. And this is pretty much exactly what the stylist said in her note to me; that it is versatile as a neutral. I did put them on with the cream/blue top and a jean jacket and it made sense with that outfit. I did also think it looks tonally correct with the cardigan.

• Like 1

I just got a Nordstrom fix.  Shopped for it in person though!

This is a great shirt--on me it's longer, tunicish.  I can wear it over jeans, leggings, or tucked into a black skirt with a black or white jacket for business.  It also looks good over jeans shorts.  http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoe-plaid-silk-blend-tank-plus-size/4628805?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MULTI

I also got another sleeveless tunic on sale, and a long sleeved sweater tunic full price.  And a deeply discounted jeans skirt, instead of the jeans shorts I was looking for.  I don't mind 'distressed' but draw the line at actual 2 inch wide holes.

• Like 1

True. And this is pretty much exactly what the stylist said in her note to me; that it is versatile as a neutral. I did put them on with the cream/blue top and a jean jacket and it made sense with that outfit. I did also think it looks tonally correct with the cardigan.

Olive is my absolute favorite neutral. It's fantastic.

I just got a Nordstrom fix. Shopped for it in person though!

This is a great shirt--on me it's longer, tunicish. I can wear it over jeans, leggings, or tucked into a black skirt with a black or white jacket for business. It also looks good over jeans shorts. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoe-plaid-silk-blend-tank-plus-size/4628805?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MULTI

I also got another sleeveless tunic on sale, and a long sleeved sweater tunic full price. And a deeply discounted jeans skirt, instead of the jeans shorts I was looking for. I don't mind 'distressed' but draw the line at actual 2 inch wide holes.

Oooh, that is beautiful!

And yeah, I don't mind some distressing, but I don't want big holes and rips. In order to be totally non-ambiguous with SF, I just say no holes in all caps.

• Like 1

I think this is the problem I would have. Totally fashion challenged here...I would have NO idea what I want. Quill, I'm envious that you know exactly how to convey what you want.

Awww, I think I just struck upon a great stylist for me. She has done all my boxes except the fail box #2.

• Like 2

5. So, the last and only questionable item. The booties. They are in all respects but one exactly what I wanted. They are called Tahari Charles Suede Bootie. I love the laced-up back detail. Alas, I am not a big fan of the color. They are Olive Green. 😠However, if I send them back and forfeit my whole-box discount, I will come out only $17 ahead. I could not get different booties for $17. And I do not hate them. But I do not love the color. My DD said I should keep them; they are cute and she reasons I should not write something off automatically because I would not pick that color. She has a point...part of my goal with this service is to branch out a little bit. So, I am keeping them.

Just some things to consider about the boots...

Olive is a neutral and looks very chic with black, grey and burgundy.  It also looks great with lighter navy colours and any shade of blue jeans.  

Olive and forest green are super hot trends in footwear for this fall.

A sophisticated, but unexpected shoe colour makes your outfit look much more modern and chic than the usual black or browns. 

• Like 4

Awww, I think I just struck upon a great stylist for me. She has done all my boxes except the fail box #2.

Maybe that's part of it but don't discount your ability to know what you like and what looks good on you. You have no idea the disaster that ensues when those of us without that ability go shopping. g

• Like 2

I just looked up the booties.  

Oh. My. Yes!

Girl, you are keeping those!  They're so cute! They'd go great with black jeans and top and that burgundy cardigan.  Or, if it were me, I'd do dark blue skinny jeans, a camel coloured turtleneck shirt, and that burgundy cardigan, then throw a chunky knit scarf on over that and a handbag in a bronze metallic. 

• Like 2

You are making me get excited about my next fix...I just got the email saying it is being prepared soon!

Glad you are keeping the boots- this is supposed to make us branch out right? And I agree that it is more interesting and sophisticated than a brown or black. A fun way to add in a current trend!

• Like 1

So, because of your posts, I was going to ask for a box for my birthday. But we're thinking about taking a vacation this winter, and money is toght, so I'd rather save money spent on birthday gifts to put toward that.

But the upshot is that you talked so much about the importance of writing a good description of what you want in your box, that I've been working on writing that for the past month in anticipation of ordering a fix. I've also been pinning things to a Pinterest board. The process has really taught me how to zero in on what I want my closet to look like, and that in itself is invaluable. Before this, I wasn't really sure if I had a cohesive style (well, I don't based on my closet, which is in large part gifted or hand me downs). Now I know what I'm really after, and I can look for that whether in at goodwill or target or wherever. Here's what I came up with, in case anyone needs inspiration to write their stylists.

---

Machine-washable clothing only. No shorts or leggings/pants/jeans. Skirts BELOW the knee or longer. I like fitted tunic tops. A defined or cinched waist is a must (I look pregnant otherwise). No sleeveless, barebacks, cardigans, vests. No white tops (I'm too pale). No orange or yellow. I like V necks if they're not too risqué. Inspiration: Sundance Catalog (without the $$$). Romantic style: embroidery, lace, leather, fringe, flowy sleeves, long skirts.

---

So, I mean, it's true that I'd love a full denim skirt even though it fits the homeschooling cliche. And I could be accused of wanting to go back to the 1960s or 1970s...though I want kind of an updated version of it (without disco). Before doing this, I think if someone showed me different style boards, I would have said I liked them all, not realizing I like some styles more than others and I like some on OTHER PEOPLE but not me. Thank you for helping me find my own style!

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 4

Epicurean, I'm so happy that this process has helped you define your style! I hope you can find some new (or new-to-you) things that fit your concept. It really is great fun to feel like your outfit is thoughtfully put together and looks great. I do think it's easy for moms (maybe homeschool moms especially) to always put ourselves last. Years of putting myself last is why I had so few clothes that I really loved before I started SF. It's been a good boost to myself to say I am worth having a nice wardrobe that I like and feel good wearing. :)

• Like 2

I just looked up the booties.

Oh. My. Yes!

Girl, you are keeping those! They're so cute! They'd go great with black jeans and top and that burgundy cardigan. Or, if it were me, I'd do dark blue skinny jeans, a camel coloured turtleneck shirt, and that burgundy cardigan, then throw a chunky knit scarf on over that and a handbag in a bronze metallic.

Thank you for the further styling! :) This is pretty much what my DD said.

You know, olive is shaping up to be a great neutral.

It looks awesome with fall colors, and with metallics.  Plus you can wear all black and olive boots and either striking turquoise jewelry for an artsy look, or a jeans jacket for casual/beat.

I bought some olive pants once--not my usual color scheme. I was really surprised at how many colors they went with, as I had never considered olive a neutral. But it really is.

• Like 2

Yay! My third box should arrive next week. I asked for five pairs of jeans so I doubt I'll keep everything. :) I love jeans though and currently don't have any that I really love that don't have holes in them (from natural distressing :)). 

I was feeling a little silly about the whole Stitch Fix thing. I've done two boxes and gotten two things from each box. I liked both a lot but it still felt kind of frivolous. Fun though. But then I wore a shirt I got from them last week and dh specifically complimented me at the end of the day about how great it looked. He never ever ever does that. He doesn't know about Stitch Fix specifically so he didn't have any reason to comment on the shirt specifically. Knowing that they had picked a shirt that I really liked and that was super comfy and that he thought looked great....that's a win for me. 

• Like 3