Menu

CTY Algebra?

Kerileanne99

This year my goal is to transition Alex to the world of online classes, comfortably, as her perfectionism and anxiety are causing life-altering problems at the moment. To facilitate this, we have signed her up for a class at CTY, purposefully at a lower level than she is doing at home. I am hoping that this will give her more confidence and the ability to learn to 'takes classes'.

She did a mix of 3 ''easy' algebra programs at home for fun last year: the Key to Series, selected problems from Saxon, and LoF last year, and she did Hands on Equations the year before. She also did more problem solving work via AOPS material, but at a MUCH slower pace. She is also 'helping' me tutor math this year:)

Does anyone have experience with this? Specifically CTY/and or enrolling in classes sub level to gain confidence/ability to work independently? She scored an 80% on the pretest. (I didn't allow a calculator and she ran out of time as well, but I don't want her to have any gaps.

I spoke with the instructor

Today and was heartened...although we have not allowed a calculator yet...the only exception being use of one to check her estimate for Pythagorean Thereom because I am mean like that (it has become a game, to see how close she can get!)

Would love to hear people's thoughts/experience...

No experience with CTY algebra (we used the older software years ago, but had gone to AoPS as our primary by PA) but we did go backwards to familiar material last year when DD started college math. I figured the difference in setting and just being in a class would be a significant challenge, so the math didn't need to be super-challenging. This year she has classes that are more challenging and have more new content, but she's comfortable in the setting. I think you're on the right track.

• Like 1

If your goal is to make her independent, then why not sign her up for classes like programming, writing, Chinese/Arabic etc with CTY? You have been doing excellent work with her on math. So, why not continue in that path until she is ready to independently handle AOPS online math classes? If you are planning on keeping her on the AOPS track for high school work, just use this year to let her become independent with online classes that are non-math subjects and when she is more comfortable, sign her up for AOPS Online Algebra courses.

My son did several programming classes at that age and the good thing was that the student can go as deep as they want to in their assignments which is very different from the expectations of a math class. My son did not want mom hovering or helping in his online classes and he completed them independently. He succeeded mostly because the work he was doing was open ended. Now, he can do any online course independently and that ability developed with a little time.

• Like 1

If your goal is to make her independent, then why not sign her up for classes like programming, writing, Chinese/Arabic etc with CTY? You have been doing excellent work with her on math. So, why not continue in that path until she is ready to independently handle AOPS online math classes? If you are planning on keeping her on the AOPS track for high school work, just use this year to let her become independent with online classes that are non-math subjects and when she is more comfortable, sign her up for AOPS Online Algebra courses.

My son did several programming classes at that age and the good thing was that the student can go as deep as they want to in their assignments which is very different from the expectations of a math class. My son did not want mom hovering or helping in his online classes and he completed them independently. He succeeded mostly because the work he was doing was open ended. Now, he can do any online course independently and that ability developed with a little time.

Hmm, that is a very good point. She is extremely independent already, to the point that my being present is typically detrimental. She wants a work plan, a list of assignments, but won't even let me look until it is complete😊

I thought the math would be a good fit, as she is eyeing their Math Olympiad course...but it IS a lot of money for material she has pretty much mastered, and will move through quickly.

Maybe something a bit different would be better:)

Thanks for the suggestions...

Why not just enroll her fully into AOPS Intro to Algebra. Or Pre Algebra online classes. The math would certainly her her for math competitions in the future. Now that I think about it, isn't there a math completion class at AOPS.

We have used three AOPS books at home...she does well with them, is thoroughly engaged and happy...but it is WORK. Not the material itself alone, but her perfectionist issues:(

I honestly don't expect her to continue with CTY classes (crazy expensive!!), but want her to learn in a challenging environment to DO online classes withought the added stress of the challenging AOPS material.

That being said, I only paid for 3 months because I know my kid:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update and a vent:

CTY is expensive...my kiddo really wanted to do it.

But when a 7 year-old takes the practice test, finds two serious errors and asks the instructor to check? (I verified mistakes), and gets back an 'I will forward your comments' on the eve of her exam?

Yeah. Not acceptable.

And this is not the first time she had found mistakes! Her homework has been corrected 3 times!

Ugh.

We will be looking for other opportunities!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...