Menu

Facebook Group - moderating question

KathyBC

So if you moderated a group you weren't all that attached to, and a new member came in and essentially took over the group (reposting the same info as other members over and over, chastising those who broke rules) would you just hand it over to them? Annoyed, but certainly aware I could use my time more productively anyway.

• Like 2

If I didn't care about the group, I'd hand it over (are you the only moderator?) to someone, not necessarily the bossy one

Are there rules or qualifications for moderators on your group? If there seems to be a good group of people who do care, could you make a post stating you're ready to move on, and members interested in moderating can PM you?

Id hate to see a good group come under the control of someone like you described. Maybe make a few members moderators, then move on.

• Like 3

Thanks! Was starting to feel like maybe I was just being grumpy. Managed to convince my co-moderator to give up a bit of her Friday night and peruse the situation. (She's been mostly hands off, busy life, etc.) She was able to tactfully suggest that bossy newbie start her own group (which who knows, maybe she was thinking of anyway), and everyone seems happy. We also talked about maybe finding a helpful third moderator, and may pursue that in future. Phew. These are the situations where I feel completely stuck. Thanks again for the input! You guys are always here. :-)

• Like 2

i used t moderate a "buy local" business group here (the founder handed it over to me).  I did it for a couple of years and appreciated the purpose of the group.  But in the end I realized it was a time suck with time I didn't want to give away for that purpose anymore.  I offered it to someone.  I don't love how he runs it (he made some changes in the rules that I never would have), but when it comes down to it -- I don't care.  It's lovely to be free of the effect it had on me and my day.  

• Like 2