Menu

my son's online class - please answer several questions for Atheists

Corbster98

Hello, this is for my online World View class. 

1. To whom or in what do you attribute the ultimate authority in your life?

2. What benefit, if any, is there to you for following that ultimate authority?

3. How do you determine right from wrong in your life?

4. Why do you choose to do right even when it is hard to do?

If you do not wish to publicly answer you can message my mother. Thank you for the answers.

From~ Skyler. 

FWIW, I am not an atheist--I'm an agnostic.

I actually don't quite understand what this means.  What do you mean by ultimate authority? 

Again--I don't know what this means.

Right and wrong are really rather obvious.  

Because it's the right thing to do.

Honestly, this stuff isn't rocket science.

1. My own conscience acts as my ultimate authority.

2. The benefit is self worth, self fulfillment, being a positive influence to others, contributing positively to society, etc, etc ,etc.  Really no different than a theist, other than I'm not abiding in order to guarantee my eternal soul.

3.  Again, my own conscience.  

4.  Because I wish to be a good person; really everything I already stated in #2.

• Like 1

1. To whom or in what do you attribute the ultimate authority in your life?

I don't see the world in those terms.

2. What benefit, if any, is there to you for following that ultimate authority?

As above, I don't follow an Ultimate Authority. If I did, I'm not sure I would call myself an Atheist, as that sounds very like God.

3. How do you determine right from wrong in your life?

Often by the good or harm it would bring to the world, or others.

4. Why do you choose to do right even when it is hard to do?

Really, because it is the right thing to do. It sounds stupidly simple I guess, but that's it. My Momma always said "It is always right to do what's right," and though her right came from a religious perspective, it was just sort of always that simple to me.

If you do not wish to publicly answer you can message my mother. Thank you for the answers.

From~ Skyler.

Not applicable

Not applicable

Observation, experience, and human instinct.

It isn't hard to do.

• Like 1

I grew up a practicing Catholic and attended Catholic schools. Now I am an atheist-leaning agnostic.

This is a little like asking, "If you don't live with your parents, who do you depend on to tell you to pay your rent, to get up on time, to eat right, to mind your manners and get enough sleep?" Ideally one moves from depending on an authority to set one straight and internalizes that responsibility.

If you are your own authority, the benefit is, you stay healthier, you keep your job and advance, you have good relationships with friends and family and gain a peaceful sense of well-being.

If it hurts me or someone else, generally it's wrong. Sometimes one must hurt someone for their own good, like allowing medical procedures or allowing natural consequenses as a parent, but the benefit outweighs the temporary pain.

It feels good to be kind--to connect with others. It feels terrible to hurt people. Barring sociopathy, I think that's pretty universal.

From~ Skyler.

From~ Skyler. 

1.  None, really, but I am a humanist and I believe people are inherently good, and want to do good.

2.  So I can respect myself and be a role model to my children.

3. Reason, and history, and philosophy, and science.

4. The purpose of life is to strive to fulfill our natural instincts towards love, connection, compassion and empathy.  It is like childbirth: even though it's natural, it is difficult and sometimes painful. But it's very rewarding.

1). Ultimately I consider myself responsible for my own life and behavior, but I don't think that's exactly what you are asking.

2). Not sure how to answer that.

3). It comes from a mixture of what I was taught directly, science, and life experience, but mostly I base it on not doing what causes harm to people and animals, and doing what is kind and compassionate.

4) I want to live in a world where people are kind and take care of each other. I want my children to live in a world where people do the right thing. I am happier and my life is less stressful when I do the right thing and when I do my part to make this world a kinder, more connected place. Generally I don't find it that hard to do the right thing, but when it is hard, I remind myself of my responsibility to other human beings and dig deeper. I fail sometimes, but I try anyway. Doing the right thing is usually reward in itself.

(It's interesting that I find the morality questions easy to answer, but the authority ones are just not really in my frame of reference. I don't think in terms of authority, especially when it comes to morality. In fact, I am deeply suspicious of claims to moral authority.)

1.  I am my own authority.

2.  When I do what I know is right, I am happy with myself.  I feel I am a force for good in the world.  When I make bad choices, I feel guilty.

3.  Good are things lead to likely positive effects.  Bad things are likely to lead to negative effects.  I use my brain & my conscience as my guide.  I try to trust my instincts.  For tricky decisions I might conduct further research or ask for advice from someone whose option I trust.

4.  When I am an old lady, I want to look back on my life with pride as a life well lived.  I think maturity is doing what is hard because it right.

• Like 1

From~ Skyler. 

I'm answering before reading other replies so that they don't influence me. 

1. I don't understand the question. Ultimate authority?

2. I can't answer because of #1.

3. There are numerous variations of the golden rule, not all of them religious. That pretty much covers it though. 

4. Because it's right. Really, why choose right other than that it's just right? 

ETA: I do not believe in any higher power, not gods or the universe or karma or whatever.

Edited by Lady Florida.