Menu

Washer that can fit king-size comforters

AimeeM

I've looked at online "buyers' guides," but according to them, a typical washing machine can -- albeit, barely -- fit a king-size comforter. 

have standard-size in my current washer and dryer, and the washer absolutely cannot fit our king comforters, or even my daughter's very fluffy queen-size comforter. At least, not without the fit being so tight I can't imagine it actually being able to move and cleaned in there.

So, today I went to the laundromat, thinking that if I had to go once monthly to wash comforters, no big deal. But their standard size washers couldn't really fit a comforter safely. I mean, I was able to PACK that sucker in there, but I wasn't comfortable with the fit at all (way, way tight), so I took it out and went in search of another washer at the same laundromat. They had one. Yay! 

But each load cost 6.50, just to wash (another 4 or 5 to dry, I guess). At the end of the day, I decided to leave the comforters with the office and pay them $15/each to wash and dry, because it was going to cost me not much less than that to do it myself, sitting there for two hours with three kids. 

Assuming these comforters should be washed more than once monthly, it makes very little sense -- long term -- not to just buy larger appliances. We love, love, love comfortable blankets and oversized comforters, duvet covers, etc. in this house. 

Do you have a favorite larger washing machine?

• Like 1

My front loading LG easily holds two twins (sometimes I'll even throw in another blanket or w/e), so I'd imagine it holds a king just fine as well. It was expensive, but not the very top of the line... I think it was originally like $1200, but with a discount it was under $1000 when my parents bought it for us 8 years ago or so? We got a (gas) dryer from the same series but slightly older, used for $50, off of craigslist, iirc (if you get a larger washer, you're probably going to want a larger dryer, unless you line dry most of your stuff). Gas dryers are relatively easy to find on craigslist in certain areas, because people will move to houses that don't have a gas hookup for their dryer, and then they basically have no option other than to sell it at a huge loss. 

I don't have a large washer, but I thought most laundromats had one or two super-sized washing machines for things like that.  It's where I go to wash sleeping bags, etc.

Also, do you really need to wash your comforters once/month?  I probably wash mine once every other year!  ðŸ˜‚  But, I do put a duvet cover on it and wash that regularly.  Maybe you could do something like that?

• Like 3

Also, do you really need to wash your comforters once/month?  I probably wash mine once every other year!  ðŸ˜‚  But, I do put a duvet cover on it and wash that regularly.  Maybe you could do something like that?

I have dustmite allergies, and washed mine weekly for a couple of years (while I was getting allergy shots). Of course, that was before we had that washer. 

Yes, laundromats have big washers... but, like OP said, they're crazy expensive to use. 

• Like 1

I don't have a large washer, but I thought most laundromats had one or two super-sized washing machines for things like that.  It's where I go to wash sleeping bags, etc.

I hate duvet covers with a passion I can't fully express. :P 

The kids are all over these comforters, all day. They definitely need to be washed... more than once a month, lol.

I hate duvet covers with a passion I can't fully express. :p

The kids are all over these comforters, all day. They definitely need to be washed... more than once a month, lol.

Oh really? I love duvets with sheet-like fabric on them, and then I don't even need a top sheet on my bed.  For me, they simplify so much!

I've looked at online "buyers' guides," but according to them, a typical washing machine can -- albeit, barely -- fit a king-size comforter. 

have standard-size in my current washer and dryer, and the washer absolutely cannot fit our king comforters, or even my daughter's very fluffy queen-size comforter. At least, not without the fit being so tight I can't imagine it actually being able to move and cleaned in there.

So, today I went to the laundromat, thinking that if I had to go once monthly to wash comforters, no big deal. But their standard size washers couldn't really fit a comforter safely. I mean, I was able to PACK that sucker in there, but I wasn't comfortable with the fit at all (way, way tight), so I took it out and went in search of another washer at the same laundromat. They had one. Yay! 

But each load cost 6.50, just to wash (another 4 or 5 to dry, I guess). At the end of the day, I decided to leave the comforters with the office and pay them $15/each to wash and dry, because it was going to cost me not much less than that to do it myself, sitting there for two hours with three kids. 

Assuming these comforters should be washed more than once monthly, it makes very little sense -- long term -- not to just buy larger appliances. We love, love, love comfortable blankets and oversized comforters, duvet covers, etc. in this house. 

Do you have a favorite larger washing machine?

You want to shop the large end of home machines, "high capacity".  I think our Neptune washer is 15 or more years old, and with care it is still going strong.  We replaced our dryer a year or so after the washer, and I decided to get an Atlantis dryer (the next line down from the then-top-of-the-line Neptunes) because it had the same capacity as the Neptune dryer and cost less.  There are many high capacity machines on the market nowadays, so shop around.  Many are also high-efficiency models, and need less soap and water to get the items clean.  Be sure to read the machine's manual to determine how much/little detergent to use.

If you are washing actual comforters I highly recommend getting a front-loading washer, or one of the other designs that lack the agitator.  The agitator in standard machines will, over time, tear up the stitching and baffles that hold the filling in place in comforters.  

In a front-loader you can easily wash down items, too--just be sure to use diaper soap, so you don't strip the natural oils out of the feathers (stripping the oil out causes the feathers to lose their loft).  When drying down items throw a few clean tennis balls into the dryer to help break up clods of wet feathers so they dry more quickly and easily.  NEVER DRY CLEAN DOWN ITEMS, even if the care tag says to do so.  Dry cleaning chemicals strip the oils out of the feathers, and the down items lose their loft rather quickly.  (The only reason sellers of down items even say to dry clean the item is to prevent people from washing their down items in agitator washers and then complain that the down item's baffles "fell apart".)

• Like 1

I hate duvet covers with a passion I can't fully express. :p

One DD here likes to sleep with just her comforter, no top sheet.  The other DD uses a top sheet, but the cat sleeps on the foot of hr bed.  We wash their comforters whenever we wash sheets.  Since the weather here tends to be HOT and HUMID through most of the year we also tend to sleep sweaty at times, so I also wash the mattress pads whenever we wash bedding.  High capacity machines are a godsend here!

Have you considered a duvet cover and only washing the duvet cover?

We were gifted a comforter and I don't want it. It's too short for our bed and I told dh even if it was the right size it would be a nightmare to wash (our bed is a CA King). I just wish we had the original packaging as I was not able to return it and now don't know what to do with it.

Oh really? I love duvets with sheet-like fabric on them, and then I don't even need a top sheet on my bed.  For me, they simplify so much!

I like the idea of duvet covers, but I have found that the cover provides extra layers of fabric to cause fabric wrinkles as I sleep.  I have princess-and-the-pea syndrome: if I am on top of fabric wrinkles (or have them around my toes) the extra thickness feels hard and wakes me up.  I just plan on washing our quilts and comforters regularly, and only use (as bedding) items we don't mind washing a lot.

• Like 1

I don't think the super heavy-duty/extra big front loader would hold it. (I had one that large once - but it was a top loader.) I always send mine out. (I haven't seen a laundromat to be able to use a commercial size washer around in here in ages.)

don't ever put a comforter in a machine with an agitator. it just doesn't handle them well.

I wash my king comforter about every year. Use a sheet and s duvet cover and it's just not necessary to wash the comforter all the time. But if that icks you out, I'd move to washsble layers or what is called a down blanket--lightweight and really enough with a duvet cover...unless you turn the heat off at night.

My wife went to the superstore late in 2015 and she bought a 14 KG Samsung. It does not have an Agitator. She LOVES it. I think it was delivered in mid November of 2015 and after the man came to  Install it, it took the place of our beloved Whirlpool, which worked so hard for 20 years (and still works).  

This morning, my wife was going to run the machine, but there isn't enough Laundry Detergent, after washing that was done yesterday,  so I will go out in awhile and buy more so she can clean what she put into the machine this morning.

She said that it uses a lot more Detergent, because it has much more capacity than our old Whirlpool (which has a place of honor in our Laundry Room).

I asked her how much more capacity and she replied "3 times the capacity".

I do not believe that our old Whirlpool was the smallest machine they were selling in 1995... 

Whether or not you could stuff a King size Comforter into our machine I don't know, but it might work?

I have an idea that may seem a little crazy, but this is your best path to not making a mistake, since the King Size Comforters are the critical item you have to wash.

Take one of them with you, when you go to 1 or more stores that have a large selection of Brand New washing machines. Tell the sales person you need to stuff the Comforter into the washing machine, to see if it will fit comfortably inside the machine and that if it does, you will buy the machine.

If the sales person doesn't help you with that, you and your Comforter walk out of the store...

• Like 1