Menu

Teaching Kids to Wash Hair

Paige

How can I teach my DD to wash all the soap out of her hair? In the past, the rule was if she couldn't wash the shampoo out, we cut her hair to a more manageable length so it was easier. She's 10, though, and really wants longer hair, and I don't want to be a big meanie, and I want to let her choose her hairstyle. I don't want to go in and watch her either, and sending her up to rinse again and again does not seem to be helping. When I sometimes rinse it out in the sink, there are SO many bubbles- I don't know what she's doing wrong.

Her hair is baby fine and not very thick, so it shouldn't be hard. She claims to be using a reasonable amount like I've shown her, and when I complain, she sometimes gives up and tries to wash with no shampoo to avoid the problem, which doesn't help. 

Is there a type of shampoo that would be easier for her to use, or maybe some sort of tip I can give her to know when to stop rinsing, or how to rinse more effectively? It's creating unnecessary drama in the house. Don't tell me to just shut my mouth- her hair looks nasty/greasy/unclean when it's full of shampoo and she cares a lot about her appearance. 

My kids have had this problem, especially my youngest 10yo.

What helps here:

1. Tell her how much shampoo and conditioner to use - in terms of how much to pour into her hand or however you measure.  Remind until that seems to be her habit.

2. While you are washing your own hair, notice how you rinse and then go demonstrate for her.

You might consider buying a shampoo/conditioner combo that rinses easily.  Or "leave in conditioner."

I have stopped correcting my kids' hair washing unless there is a noticeable patch of conditioner shining on the hair when they come out.  I can't police this forever, and it's not the end of the world if some conditioner stays and gets combed into the wet hair.

PS as to what she may be doing wrong, my kid would not keep her head under the water long enough for rinsing.  Kinda dumb since she will stay in the shower and sing for half an hour.  :P  I need to be very specific about how it's done and then remind her a bunch of times.  She still isn't perfect about it.

• Like 2

She only has shampoo stuck on the top of her head. Most of her hair is clean. I suspect it's because she's afraid of the water getting in her face. I don't know what to tell her except to suck it up, close her eyes, and let the water onto her face. She's not really the suck it up type, though...

She only has shampoo stuck on the top of her head. Most of her hair is clean. I suspect it's because she's afraid of the water getting in her face. I don't know what to tell her except to suck it up, close her eyes, and let the water onto her face. She's not really the suck it up type, though...

What about installing a handheld showerhead so she has a bit more control over the water?

I had to teach my daughter to tilt her head back far enough so the shower water was actually hitting the top of her head. If your daughter doesn't like getting her face wet, maybe suggest that she hold a washcloth over her face? 

When I was a little girl, my mom taught me to check my hair by running a few fingers firmly over it. If it "squeaked," it was fully rinsed.  :)

• Like 1

I had to teach my daughter to tilt her head back far enough so the shower water was actually hitting the top of her head. If your daughter doesn't like getting her face wet, maybe suggest that she hold a washcloth over her face? 

When I was a little girl, my mom taught me to check my hair by running a few fingers firmly over it. If it "squeaked," it was fully rinsed.  :)

My kids' hair doesn't "squeak," but I told them to check if it feels "slimy."  :P

Whatever works!

• Like 2

I'd show her an exact amount to use.  (Probably less than what she is using.)  Also, I think baby shampoos rinse out more easily.

This shampoo was reviewed as being one easy to rinse out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W99CD6/ref=as_at/?imprToken=zSfH5dGqpyoEgf5vHWymLg&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004W99CD6&linkCode=w61&tag=r10943-20&linkId=f2f615fcc33b091f144e105c11ff36aa

I'd show her an exact amount to use.  (Probably less than what she is using.)  Also, I think baby shampoos rinse out more easily.

This shampoo was reviewed as being one easy to rinse out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W99CD6/ref=as_at/?imprToken=zSfH5dGqpyoEgf5vHWymLg&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004W99CD6&linkCode=w61&tag=r10943-20&linkId=f2f615fcc33b091f144e105c11ff36aa

Thanks! I'll try going back to baby shampoo; especially since she's scared of soap and water in her eyes. It may help. She doesn't want to be a baby but I wonder if I can get some baby shampoo and put it in a different bottle so it doesn't say "baby" on it and just tell her it's a no tear shampoo. 

We've tried handheld shower heads and they all seem to break right away. I don't know why they break, but I'm kind of soured on them. 

She already does but I don't think she gives it enough time. She's probably doing it as fast as possible to get away from the water quickly. She'll spend forever in the shower, but not with her face in the water. I think it's also hard to hold a wash cloth and use your hands on your scalp. 

I have been telling her to rinse until the hair no longer feels slippery. She doesn't seem to understand what that should feel like. She does a good job on everything from her crown down. I'll tell her to pay attention next time and make sure that the hair on the very top feels the same as the hair by her ears.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll try going back to baby shampoo; especially since she's scared of soap and water in her eyes. It may help. She doesn't want to be a baby but I wonder if I can get some baby shampoo and put it in a different bottle so it doesn't say "baby" on it and just tell her it's a no tear shampoo. 

We've tried handheld shower heads and they all seem to break right away. I don't know why they break, but I'm kind of soured on them. 

Clever!

There are plenty of kids shampoos that are tear free. I like the bottles with a pump so I can say " use 1 squirt." Also, see if you can get a shower head with a more defined shower pattern so she can feel the limits of the spray on her head. I don't like water in my face but I've learned to tip my head back and let the spray tickle my forehead right up into my hairline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

She really wants privacy in the shower. I will ask her if she's ok doing it with a bathing suit on. I hadn't thought of that. 

If she were my kid, I would simply inform her that she can either get it together and rinse her hair properly, or I will be observing.  Then I wouldn't ask if she is ok with wearing a bathing suit, I would just give her the choice of wearing one or not.

• Like 2

We have a suave kids no more tears shampoo that smells like apples. Sometimes requiring conditioner can help a bit too - extra rinsing and such.  If she has fine hair as it grows out she might need conditioner to keep it from being too tangly.

I would honestly give her some options - she can cut her hair short and try again next year, she can wash in front of you (bathing suit optional) to see what she's doing wrong, she can use baby shampoo, or all of the above. Having a continual issue with not being able to rinse properly at 10 would be a sign to me she's not ready for long hair yet.

IE: I'd give her a deadline.  3 days or two weeks to figure out how to rinse properly or get a cut and try again in 6 months.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

You could teach her to wash it in the kitchen sink leaning over.  Less in  your face like that.

DD didn't wash or the top back crown part of her head, and it got to smelling bad, which of course she couldn't smell herself.

I tried a couple of things but finally what worked was I guided her hand to that part of her head, and encouraged her to feel it from the inside of her head and to think about whether she felt that during washing or not before she finished up.  

Also, in a shower the water has to beat on all areas in turn for a little while.  I told her to put her hand where she wanted to get rid of the soap and then move until she could feel the water hitting her hand while she got used to making sure that she was thoroughly rinsing.

She only has shampoo stuck on the top of her head. Most of her hair is clean. I suspect it's because she's afraid of the water getting in her face.

Many in my extended family use something like this for kids. Dollar store and Daiso sells them. Keeps most of the water out of the eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M0DQJMS/

We also use Johnson no tear baby shampoo for the whole family, even my late maternal grandpa. None of the adults mind and it is cheaper to buy a big pump bottle of baby shampoo for the family.

My aunt would wash out hair over the sink when we were kids. Just like in a hair salon. We get red eyes from soapy water and we even tried wearing swimming goggles when washing hair in a shower :lol: