Menu

Anyone else loving public school?

MEmama

DS is at the public high school this year and is over the moon. Of course it's still shiny and new, but pretty much everything so far has been a complete win. He has terrific, challenging courses, likes all his teachers (and finds a couple downright hilarious), has friends in all his classes except one where he's the only freshman, and comes home every day excited and bubbly.

I'm so impressed by everything so far--the random stuff he's already learning, the way a couple of his classes coordinate so they learn complementary info simultaneously (as his history teacher said, that way the Latin kids can be smarty pants in Latin class, and vice versa ha ha)--I mean, swoon!!!--his openness to sticking with a class he was unsure about...

I worried all of last year whether he should take 8th as the transition year, but now I see this is absolutely the right time for him to make the leap.

Anyone else? Share your happy stories! :)

Eta: I'm not going to get kicked off the board now, am I? ;)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 25

My oldest went last year as a 10th grader. Overall, it was a very positive experience. Not all of the courses were as challenging as I wanted, BUT learning happened in every class, sometimes the learning was academic, but sometimes it was social and interpersonal skills, both were valuable. There were several teachers that were really fun and good last year. 11th grade is already bringing it, so I am pleased on the academic front. My child is quite happy to be back. School was absolutely the right call for this child, and I am glad it has been a positive experience overall. It is crazy to think that my 8th grader is heading off next year! That child is already researching options and will be ready next year. Exciting stuff!

Yay for your ds! I love reading about kids who head off and thrive. Sounds like he is having a great start, may it continue. :) 

• Like 1

Well, this was our second year of ps for my eldest, but she did switch to the jr high this year.

So far, she's only gone one day, but she seems to be enthusiastic about the school.  She's in a French immersion program and was nervous about that, but her homeroom teacher was reassuring.  She's a native Arabic speaker, and dd was really impressed by her French accent which is quite different than the one we typically hear in this part of the world.

• Like 1

Two of my boys are doing extra-currics at the local high school; x-country and band.  They are loving it.  :thumbup1:  The teachers and staff have been very supportive.  (I'm also thankful that I live in a state where we can use public school resources w/o having to enroll full time.)

So glad its working well for you and yours, MEmama. :)  I know transitions can be rough for any teen.

ETA: of course you can stick around-- the more the merrier! ;)

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

I know what I like and what I do not like. Therefore, I do not send my children to school when the situation is it such that I would not like it. However, this means that where my children are in school right now I am extremely happy. So yes, I am loving not having the kids around all day long making messes and asking 1000,000 questions a minute.

• Like 3

Two of my boys are doing extra-currics at the local high school; x-country and band. They are loving it. :thumbup1: The teachers and staff have been very supportive. (I'm also thankful that I live in a state where we can use public school resources w/o having to enroll full time.)

So glad its working well for you and yours, MEmama. :) I know transitions can be rough for any teen.

ETA: of course you can stick around-- the more the merrier! ;)

Yes! DS ran XC with the middle school, and now for the HS. The runners stick together and no one ever thought it was weird that he was homeschooled. It's a quirky crowd, for sure. Definitely his tribe. :). In HS they are taking most of the same classes (honours level). One running mate helped him figure out how to open a combination lock on his locker (oops!! That IS a thing! ha ha) and didn't bat an eye that he didn't know how. :)

I'm grateful for that opportunity, too. For sure its eased the transition, and even if he hadn't gone to the high school getting to access the ps resources can be invaluable.

• Like 2

My dd has been in 4th grade public school for 5 weeks now. She loves it for the most part. I love getting away from her intensity. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that I know I could do a better job educating her. It's supposed to be a slightly accelerated school, but I'm really not that impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My dd has been in 4th grade public school for 5 weeks now. She loves it for the most part. I love getting away from her intensity. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that I know I could do a better job educating her. It's supposed to be a slightly accelerated school, but I'm really not that impressed.

Yeah, we are only a few days so I can't comment there. But I remind myself of all the pennants from universities the HS grads go on to that are hanging in the guidance office and figure it's going to be okay. Just as his learning didn't stop when we were at the end of our school day, it won't after a day of classes, either. Plenty of grads go to the universities at the top of his list so the school must do a pretty good job. :)

My dd started this week, she loves it so far!

Like, she's sad today is Friday & she can't go tomorrow.... I'm sure that will change, but for now, she's thrilled & the ither kids keep asking her why she's so darn happy to be at school, lol. (She's not the best advertisement for homeschooling I guess, oh well). She was just so ready to be around other teens & adults all day.

And I feel such a load off my shoulders.

They are implementing project based learning for the first time this year & the teachers are really, very excited about it, so I think it will be a good year.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 3

My dd started this week, she loves it so far!

Like, she's sad today is Friday & she can't go tomorrow.... I'm sure that will change, but for now, she's thrilled & the ither kids keep asking her why she's so darn happy to be at school, lol. (She's not the best advertisement for homeschooling I guess, oh well). She was just so ready to be around other teens & adults all day.

And I feel such a load off my shoulders.

They are implementing project based learning for the first time this year & the teachers are really, very excited about it, so I think it will be a good year.

Awesome!

DH and I were talking about how all the administrative type stuff the teachers talk about is new to him, so he takes it all really seriously. I'm sure his mates are sleeping through it all, having heard it every year for the past 9 years. Lol.

• Like 1

My local high school is flooded and closed for the year. I am very impressed with the school district's response to the crisis and their quick implementation of a back up plan. They've found another school in the district that's big enough to accomodate a split shift with our high school without creating monster traffic jams and only had to delay the start of the high school two days beyond the rest of the district. They've changed the special ed start and end times three times in response to parent concerns and thinking through the transportation logistics and I think they've finally come up with a good solution. The administrators and principals deserve kudos for their disaster response.

Geezle loves his high school and he's had a good social and job training experience. The academics aren't great but he has a tutor so I'm not that concerned about it. Schools can be so hit or miss. The elementary program for ASD/ID was very poor but the middle and high school really shines. 

OTOH, Trinqueta doesn't want to go to B&M school. She loves her online classes and homeschool extracurriculars and that's worked out well so far too.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 5

My local high school is flooded and closed for the year. I am very impressed with the school district's response to the crisis and their quick implementation of a back up plan. They've found another school in the district that's big enough to accomodate a split shift with our high school without creating monster traffic jams and only had to delay the start of the high school two days beyond the rest of the district. They've changed the special ed start and end times three times in response to parent concerns and thinking through the transportation logistics and I think they've finally come up with a good solution. The administrators and principals deserve kudos for their disaster response.

------------------

Sorry, quote didn't work right-

Our public school had to do that during a huge asbestos abatement project, I was overseas at the time, so missed it, but the split shift thing did work out ok, although going to school in the evenings was weird for the kids & it interfered with sports stuff.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 3

My kids are all in school, two in public, three in private. I love both schools and I'm heavily involved in both schools but the beaurocracy at the public school is mind-numbingly stupid. But, it is free while the private school is not. Like a previous poster said, nothing is perfect.

• Like 1

Well, we still haven't found any middle school for the younger kiddo, and I'm pretty sure at this point that it's not going to happen.

The older one started high school and loves her classes, except her math teacher "treats us like we're five". And of course, NYC high schools don't typically have lockers, so she's less than thrilled about that aspect of it. After all the work we had to put in to find a high school for her, I'm glad she does like it! (She spent most of summer alternating between disdain and dramatically exaggerated terror.)

• Like 2

YUP!

Technically, all of my kids are now public schooled.....one community college, one high school, and one middle school.

This is year number 3 for middle son.  He loves it.  Year number 2 for the other two and they love it (ok, well, oldest is definitely ready to move on, but that isn't due to the CC being "bad" it is just that he has gotten what he needs out of it.)

• Like 1

My kids all went to ps this year.  It is not what I *wanted* but my pt work has been ramping up and with DH not working we need the money.  The kids were all excited to go and they've been really happy so far.  The middle school was very pleasant in working out their schedules to place them in accelerated classes and they love it socially.  They've even been getting themselves up, showered, fed, etc without any prodding so that's a win.  The only downside is my youngest is super bored.  It's ironic - last year at home he was bored because I could finish with him so quickly and spent more time with the older kids and work, and this year he's in ps and bored.  

• Like 1

My kids are in a charter which is academically rigorous.

DD13 is in all honors classes in 8th grade and this week her history teacher is teaching about debate and position papers- using genetic engineering as the topic. It's amazing to see how DD comes alive and is so passionate! He's an outstanding teacher!!!!

She was also selected for a pre engineering class which she loves! She didn't want to be labeled GSTEM , but finds it suits her so well. God bless the guidance counselor who does a great job!

DS10 is also in advanced classes but this year is a tough one subject matter wise (he has to participate in a "Midsummer nights dream" dance, wax museum presentation an sHe's in band and choir) .

Our kiddos school (charter) is tough and very academically rigorous but provides them with a fantastic education! I homeschooled for a few years and miss is terribly- so I'm thankful that we have this fantastic school with a free education!

• Like 1

This has been the only real issue for us.  It's annoying, since I feel like it's kind of a central point of school, and it's not any truly difficult educational issues at the heart of it.

But - it's always about the trade-offs.

• Like 1

Ă°Å¸â„¢â€¹Me

My kids are somewhat indifferent about it. They wanted to go, so they aren't upset. They are doing well, and I'm happy for that.

I'm living it because I got a job Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬ I'm working at the local coffee/ice cream shop. It brings my loved coffee and talking I to the perfect job for me. Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“ it!

Kelly

• Like 3

This has been the only real issue for us.  It's annoying, since I feel like it's kind of a central point of school, and it's not any truly difficult educational issues at the heart of it.

But - it's always about the trade-offs.

The trade off for us has been getting the intensity out of the house to really see the mental health struggles my 12 year old was having.  It's like how when the sun is shining, you can't see the stars.  My dd is the sun.  When she's around, she demands the center stage.  My ds 12 has been getting lost in that.  He has really been able to be "seen" and to see some things that have been hidden.  So, dd will still get some sort of education equal to every other kid in this neighborhood and that will have to be enough.

• Like 2

I love everything about it except the time from 4:30-5:50pm. So help me.

Grades 6, 4, 1.

This is our second year and I keep waiting for my bubble to be burst. I love the principals, teachers, guidance counselors and office staff, curriculum, specials (gym, art, music), recess. Basically everything.

It's like a huge load has been lifted off my brain. I can just be mom and it feels so good. I'm no longer responsible for making sure they're up to educational standards, have enough time with friends, get enough exercise, keep them from fighting.

Whenever I see my homeschool friends now, I silently wonder why they put themselves through it. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ³

• Like 5

My oldest ds just started freshman year at local high school. Overall, it's going pretty well. But, ds has moderate Aspergers and he's freaked out a few times at home! It's been a bit stressful. Taking every day as it comes. I'm trying to manage my expectations here and communicate with teachers. I need him there. He's too difficult at home. Glad things are going well!!!

• Like 1

I don't love the academic content (I KNOW I could do better) and I HATE being tied to the school schedule, but my youngest just started her 4th year of public school (older sisters basically homeschooled all the way through) and has not had a moment of regret. She adores it, and has zero desire to return to mom's classroom. :-)

• Like 1

It's like a huge load has been lifted off my brain. I can just be mom and it feels so good. I'm no longer responsible for making sure they're up to educational standards, have enough time with friends, get enough exercise, keep them from fighting.

Whenever I see my homeschool friends now, I silently wonder why they put themselves through it. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ³

Yes--I'm still a little in and a little out of the whole thing.  Being a little bit more on the outside of it all, I am seeing a LOT of burnout and mothers who are completely overwhelmed trying to be everything.  I totally understand why to homeschool and I really wish we had true school choice for everyone.  Where I lived before, there were no choices really.  If you didn't like the local public school, you could try the one charter school 15 miles away and hope you worked through an unbelievably long waiting list.  If you had foresight, you would put your child on the waiting list when they were 3.  

In our new location, there are multiple charter schools within 10 miles of my home.  A TON of choice in schools and we can choose any of them restricted to possible waiting lists at some other the more popular ones out of district for us and not at others within our district.  A lot more homeschoolers I've met here tend to pop in and out of different public school programs based on the child.  

• Like 2

Yes! DS ran XC with the middle school, and now for the HS. The runners stick together and no one ever thought it was weird that he was homeschooled. It's a quirky crowd, for sure. Definitely his tribe. :). In HS they are taking most of the same classes (honours level). One running mate helped him figure out how to open a combination lock on his locker (oops!! That IS a thing! ha ha) and didn't bat an eye that he didn't know how. :)

I'm grateful for that opportunity, too. For sure its eased the transition, and even if he hadn't gone to the high school getting to access the ps resources can be invaluable.

My DS has always been in PS, but he started high school this year and is running cross country as well. It is a quirky and smart bunch at his school as well. It's been a great help in adjusting and being a part of his new school. 

Glad your son is doing so well!! 

• Like 1

We're only a few days in with a K-er, but he is SO happy. He loves the bus, he likes his teacher, he has five subject teachers each week (PE, music, Spanish, and two other things) and he thinks they are great. He is a total extrovert and is just bubbling with energy when he gets out of his ridiculously long school day each day.

And my older kids are SO happy for the quiet in the house.

Emily

• Like 3

Dd went in 9th after being homeschooled K-8. It was a love Fest. She had one dud teacher and a LOT of absolutely inspiring gems. She had a lot of AP classes and did theatre and chamber choir. My life got so much easier because I was no longer driving everywhere to make sure she had labs and activities. She walked the 1/4 mile, made great friends in the neighborhood, and thrived. She's a Junior on college now. I tried talking up the high school experience to my son, but he's quite happy homeschooling. He's an 11th grader this year. Two more years and I'm DONE. I'm so tired.

• Like 1

The trade off for us has been getting the intensity out of the house to really see the mental health struggles my 12 year old was having.  It's like how when the sun is shining, you can't see the stars.  My dd is the sun.  When she's around, she demands the center stage.  My ds 12 has been getting lost in that.  He has really been able to be "seen" and to see some things that have been hidden.  So, dd will still get some sort of education equal to every other kid in this neighborhood and that will have to be enough.

Yup.

We decided to go for it because of the language immersion, but its turned out that she also is really finding the leadership opportunities valuable.  I'll just have to keep an eye on a few things at home.

Luckily the high school up the street is IB, and I am quite happy with their academic offerings.

• Like 1

My 7 year old is in a language immersion school and I have been very happy with the program so far.

My approach to schooling is very much one of seeking the best available fit for a child, whatever that is.

And the Mom. Mom counts too.

• Like 7

Mine are in their 3rd year of public school.  My boys are in 8th grade and DD is in 9th.  They love school and find it challenging.  Their school is ranked 3rd in the state and we pay really high taxes because it's independent and smaller.  I'm very pleased and we've had no problems. 

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys
  • Like 1

Yep, kids in third and fifth. My daughter just missed the k cutoff or she would be in school too. Kids love it. Wondering why I didn't put them in years ago. My eighth and ninth grader are at home via a charter school that offers a weekly class time with science and more.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

One weird thing is my kids only have science once a week every third week rotated with social studies and some LA class. All the mom guilt for listening to SOTW in the car and documentaries and no super rigorous science in elementary was sooo dumb. There is more time spent on LA than we did at home.

• Like 1

I can't say my daughter is loving it, but she's liking it. She's definitely improved her writing enormously (maths is another story - we supplement at home). She really needs the daily social interaction in order to get enough practice, as she has some self-regulation issues. I've been pleasantly surprised at all the 'extras' - engineering class, music performance opportunities, dance, gardening, and lots of interaction between the different grades in a variety of different activities. Whenever I read blogs by homeschoolers who talk about "it's unnatural being stuck with kids the same age all the time!' and 'it's all worksheets!' I shake my head. It's not like that at all (here in Australia). They don't even need to ask for the loo - they just do a subtle hand-sign to let the teacher know and take themselves. 

• Like 2

My 9th grader loves it. She joined the basketball team and they have started practicing twice a week. She is also in chorus, and they're preforming a musical in December. She is making good grades, lots of friends, and enjoys her teachers.

My 7th grade son also enjoys it. He is playing jr. High football and loves it. He is also making good grades, has lots of friends, and enjoys his teachers. He said he misses homeschooling, but he also likes public school right now - mainly the sports and friends.

My 4th grade daughter is begging to homeschool again. She has friends, is in chorus, and makes good grades. But she misses homeschooling. She hates the long days, the busy work, and just really misses me. I am making her stick it out a few more weeks, mainly because I've never homeschooled in Pennsylvania before, so I don't know the laws and how it works. Louisiana is such an easy state to homeschool in. Also, wondering if she could continue chorus and homeschool.

My 1st grade son likes it, but cried last night to Homeschool again. The days are long, the work is too easy, and he misses me. He has made 100s on everything so far, finishes his work way before anyone else, and is bored. I plan to homeschool him when I do my 4th grade daughter.

My Kindergartner, who is at home with me homeschooling, misses the kids. He tells me all the time, you shouldn't have signed them up mama. Lol!

• Like 2

I can't say my daughter is loving it, but she's liking it. She's definitely improved her writing enormously (maths is another story - we supplement at home). She really needs the daily social interaction in order to get enough practice, as she has some self-regulation issues. I've been pleasantly surprised at all the 'extras' - engineering class, music performance opportunities, dance, gardening, and lots of interaction between the different grades in a variety of different activities. Whenever I read blogs by homeschoolers who talk about "it's unnatural being stuck with kids the same age all the time!' and 'it's all worksheets!' I shake my head. It's not like that at all (here in Australia). They don't even need to ask for the loo - they just do a subtle hand-sign to let the teacher know and take themselves.

It isn't like that at the high school level here, either. Elementary and middle school would have a waste of time for him, but the high school is on a whole different level. I'm so impressed by the courses they offer and tracks students can follow (for example, if the student is interested in nursing it's possible to graduate HS with their CNA certificate allowing them to jump straight into the field after graduation). And as a freshman he has some classes (and of course sports) with seniors, so it's not as age categorised as the lower levels.

I feel like we lucked out--when we moved here we didn't even consider the schools. I'm so thankful to have a well regarded HS that seems like a good fit (a week in! Ha!). I'm going to really love returning to "just" a Mama role. :)

• Like 1

Ds just entered high school as a pre-IB student after hsing grades 1-8. He says his teachers are either "very good" or "fantastic" and he is taking two CompSci classes, including a Cyber Security class taught be a first-year teacher who is a retired Cyber Security expert. 

There is no way - NO WAY - I could duplicate the level of rigor held to in all of his classes. I just don't have the time, energy, or expertise (based on my observation, at the high school level, expertise really can make a difference). We used the WTM Academy in middle school and the classes were excellent, but ds really disliked taking online classes.

Perhaps if we lived in a major metropolitan area, hsing high school could be (in my view) adequately done, but we don't, and the majority of local homeschooled high school students here are a joke (yeah, that's harsh, but it's real....their academic standards are extremely low, with an equally low work ethic displayed). Because of the lack of an acceptable (in my view) hsing peer group, hsing high school was not an option. 

The only downside is that ds does not particularly care for the social scene as a whole - he is in a very diverse high school, with 75% of the students on free-and-reduced (but the school has a 93% graduation rate, good on them!). I think the diversity is excellent for him, and he agrees, but he says the maturity level is "moronic", which may be true (ds is like a 40-yr-old stuck in a 14-yr-old body). However, he has strengthened friendships with two boys from his Scout troop who are also in the pre-IB program, so there have been positives as well.   

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 3

My youngest ds is trying out grade 6 in school. He is enjoying it, though does find the days rather long. He's pretty tired in the evenings.  The rest of my dc (jr. and senior high) are continuing homeschooling with some outsourcing. They are really appreciating the quiet at home with one less energetic young man. ;)  It's been really smooth and positive for everyone so far. 

• Like 2

Add me to the list! 

My 16yo is taking 2 classes at the local high school and my 7th and 5th graders are both in public school for the first time and all are enjoying it. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to enroll them and their teachers have all been great!

It's been a little weird getting used to a quiet house with only me around - it hasn't been that way for 30 years  :eek:  

• Like 1

Ds8 got expelled 2 days ago. I can't get him a diagnosis of any kind because he just misses several things and the new principal is not willing to put any resources into a kid who gets no funding or extend any compassion to a kid who is struggling. I will lodge a formal complaint with the Ministry of Education but even if it is upheld I am not sending him back. Luckily for the first time I am able to work from home so we will homeschooling for the last few months of this school year and see how things go.

Ds8 got expelled 2 days ago. I can't get him a diagnosis of any kind because he just misses several things and the new principal is not willing to put any resources into a kid who gets no funding or extend any compassion to a kid who is struggling. I will lodge a formal complaint with the Ministry of Education but even if it is upheld I am not sending him back. Luckily for the first time I am able to work from home so we will homeschooling for the last few months of this school year and see how things go.

:( Poor kid. That sounds rough. Edited by Meriwether

5 of my 6 went to public school this year. The jury is still out because it's only been 3 weeks, but so far I believe they are all liking it-some more than others. As for what I think, I'm just not sure. I could say a blanket statement like...IF you can homeschool and your kids are reasonably happy doing so, AND you are mentally stable and happy to do it, then homeschooling will give your children the best education. I base this on:

-So much wasted time

-technology being introduced way too early and utilized way too much

-teachers using apps like Seesaw and Class DoJo...waste of their time when they could/should be teaching

-I know I could educate them better, (but I also recognize I have no business doing so right now)

However, it has opened up a whole new world for sure. My extroverts are thriving, my introverts not so much. 

Time will tell, but I just appreciate the richness of homeschooling much more now that I'm not doing it. For example, me reading a quality piece of literature all cozied up on the couch with my kids around me and fireplace crackling.  I did not appreciate at the time how beautiful that was. Now, they get a story read to them by a Smartboard, not even a human being. And 4:00-5:00? God help me. The papers, behaviors, snacks, tornado that blows through my house...I could live without that. We'll see what happens? I think we may be a mixed bag next year. Or maybe they'll all want to go back-I have no idea right now.

• Like 2