Menu

Hurricane or etc. preparedness. Lists, links, etc., please.

Pen

My mom who is alone in an area that could be hit by Irma or other coming storm asked me if I could think through with her what to have ready in case she is ordered to evacuate, or in case stuck at home and unable to get to stores etc., maybe without power for a week or more. 

Assume she has no nearby neighbors, is not in a city, and needs some time to prepare--cannot just start running around and tossing things in vehicle at last moment when order might come. Assume no pets at this time.  Assume that there is no place that definitely has a back up copy of things like flood insurance proof. But there is a copier at home and things like that could be copied and mailed to me now if that would help.

Assume the person has limited energy and should do what is most important first.

This is not a pretend what would you take for homeschooling in an emergency sort of thread. It is a real situation. She does not homeschool, but maybe something like a book for her own entertainment would be a good idea.  

A hint I heard -- If you have a dishwasher put important paperwork inside it and close the latch. DIshwashers are waterproof, so shouldn't take on water if there's flooding. And they're typically located under counters which provide some protection from falling debris. I'd seal important documents inside Ziploc bags first for extra protection.

Fill bathtub with water for flushing toilet and hygiene.

Bring in anything outside the home that could become a flying projectile (she doesn't want a flower pot coming through a window).

And of course stock up on non-perishable food and drinking water (she doesn't have to buy it, she can fill jugs and pitchers from the tap). 

• Like 4

In case she needs to evacuate, she needs to take:

1. prescription meds/ any medical devices she uses

2. all irreplaceable documents. Birth certificates, passports, insurance papers, bank papers, credit cards, medical history, titles to vehicles, house, tax papers.

Best to also scan and have an electronic copy someplace else/ in the cloud. Second best mail paper copies to you.

ETA: I would not leave them behind stored in the dishwasher as another poster suggested - the house may be destroyed, and the dishwasher float away.

3. cash/wallet, cell phone

4. Practical comfortable clothing. Sturdy shoes, jacket, rain coat. Change of clothing. Toiletries.

5. electronic data. Laptop if she has one. Backup if she has one, or take hard drive out of desktop computer.

6. If destination for evacuation unclear, I would add a sleeping bag, flash light, water filter or purification tablets, emergency food rations

7. irreplaceable mementos

8. things to do: book, knitting

If she has limited energy, I'd work down the list in order.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

In case she needs to evacuate, she needs to take:

1. prescription meds/ any medical devices she uses

2. all irreplaceable documents. Birth certificates, passports, insurance papers, bank papers, credit cards, medical history, titles to vehicles, house, tax papers.

Best to also scan and have an electronic copy someplace else/ in the cloud. Second best mail paper copies to you.

ETA: I would not leave them behind stored in the dishwasher as another poster suggested - the house may be destroyed, and the dishwasher float away.

3. cash/wallet, cell phone

4. Practical comfortable clothing. Sturdy shoes, jacket, rain coat. Change of clothing. Toiletries.

5. electronic data. Laptop if she has one. Backup if she has one, or take hard drive out of desktop computer.

6. If destination for evacuation unclear, I would add a sleeping bag, flash light, water filter or purification tablets, emergency food rations

7. irreplaceable mementos

8. things to do: book, knitting

If she has limited energy, I'd work down the list in order.

FWW -- I was not advocating leaving important papers behind. One would hope anyone would realize that would be stupid. I was recommending it in case she chooses (or has to) shelter in place.

• Like 6

For this storm, she should call the phone numbers Gov Scott gave out this morning for help getting evacuated and get out.  A category 1-2 is a bad thunderstorm.  A category 4 or 5 is like a tornado that lasts for days instead of minutes.

For future storms, she should have digital copies of important documents and photographs.  Stored online or out of the area.

She should have photos of every valuable thing she owns for insurance purposes.

She should stock up on 3 weeks worth of bottled water and canned, ready to eat meals in May, before Hurricane season begins. She should not let her gas tank get less than half full in hurricane season.

If it's a smaller storm, she should fill up every container she has (including the bathtub) with water.  The sources that aren't clean enough to drink out of will still work to flush toilets with.

Ideally the homes she lives in will have gas stoves that still work when the power is out.  Ideally she'd have buckets to use if the toilets fail, a month of food, multiple can openers, a propane camp stove with plenty of fuel.

Ideally she'd have and be able to use a small boat like a canoe, or at the very least a life jacket and a pool float to paddle her way out.

• Like 4

What is most important:

1. Gather medications.  One of the huge issues at hurricane evacuation shelters is medication issues.

2. Pack one bag---clothing, medications, important papers (in a large ziplock, in case she evacuates in rain), toiletries.  One of the other main issues in shelters? Personal hygiene.  Underwear. Underwear was a hugely needed item, especially when laundry wasn't possible.

3. Think about food.  Toss some granola bars in her bag.  Buy shelf stable food and water and the usual store-at-home for emergency items.

4. If she has gas cans, fill them now.  If she has to evacuate, buying gasoline on the road is a huge problem.

Regentrude's list is good.  Look up the Hurricane Harvey thread; it was also good.  I'm short on time, so I'm going to skip the commonly mentioned advice, and list a few other things....

I personally have these things, that I don't see listed often:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504825652&sr=8-3&keywords=external+battery+anker   This is an external phone battery that can charge my phone several times.

battery operated fan: This blows well, for a decently long time, on D batteries. Pre-Harvey, the price was $8. It's jumped a bit, but still worth it, imo.  https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-5-Inch-Portable-Fan-Gray/dp/B001B16VT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504825758&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+battery+operated+fan

disposable urinal: At the risk of being highly indelicate, if you've ever been stuck in traffic and not moved for five hours, it's an issue....especially if you are elderly or a child. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NV878S/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3163805422&pf_rd_r=6WF4Q0D4NDB9XNH3RC6J&pd_rd_wg=aIxfh&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=CMjXs&pf_rd_i=port-a-john&pd_rd_r=8C6NPKAYJXZYYA7AYRZ0&psc=1

• Like 1

If she had the means, a generator is invaluable, especially for helping with post flood cleanup when there is no power. Even a small one will run a couple fans.

This isn't as important, but put pictures, lap tops, and heirlooms in waterproof containers up high. If water gets 6' deep in the house it may not help, but if it stays under 2' it could help a lot.

If she decides to ride out the storm, have a go bag ready in case of emergency rescue. My cousins had 10 minutes to prep to leave because that's when a boat was by their house when the water was rising. Pack belongings in plastic bags inside the bag. I would suggest at least a couple changes of clothes, several changes of underwear, medications, cell phone charger, and glasses.

Having recently been down to Texas I have learned that there is no way to be 100% prepared. Do your best but know you can't think of every possible situation. My grandparents never took on water or lost power but were stuck at home for 5 days. My aunt (not in a flood zone) got 3' of water in her house and my cousin had water to his eaves (also not on a flood zone). They were all fortunate that they did not have the high winds with all the rain. They prepped as best they could but they expected wind damage and loss of power, not flooding.

• Like 1

Generators are great for random situations, but I didn't include them in my list because they can be deadly in situations where there are days of rain, flooding, potential safety reasons for utility cutoffs, etc. They are also super expensive and frequently stolen.  I understand they have some cage situations now, but when I was a kid my family had two of them stolen. Also people can be pretty stupid about using the portable ones indoors in the case of dangerous weather, and then dying of carbon monoxide poisoning because they weren't smart enough to think about the ventilation, only about avoiding flying debris outside.  IMO if you need electricity for medicine or air conditioning because you are too delicate to do without for more than a few hours, you should evacuate, not rough it out and hope a generator works for you.

I suspect that the people who are most prone towards a generator helping are already quite prepared and do not need advice on how to deal with hurricanes.

I didn't list above random comfort items - disposable dishes and silverware, instant coffee or other sources of caffeine, extra trash bags to contain it all, baby wipes to help feel clean after days of dripping sweat, a sturdy solid table narrow enough to fit down the hallway to sleep under so she has a shelter without windows.  Plenty of non-electric activities and games to pass the time.  A reminder to turn off her cell phone when the power goes out, because chances are phones will be out as long as the electric is, and she'll need to preserve her batteries.

A reminder to turn off her cell phone when the power goes out, because chances are phones will be out as long as the electric is, and she'll need to preserve her batteries.

??

Can you (or anyone) give me more info on the above? Our cell phones have never not worked during a power outage. I guess if it was off long enough . . . maybe? I think most cell phone towers are powered by emergency generators, and they'd only run for so long. But for a temporary power outage it's sure not a problem. Our power was off for several hours last week after a storm and I used the phone constantly during that time, including as a hot spot to run my laptop. I always do.

I would add a camping headlamp. That allows to have your hands free to do things -- or just support yourself -- if you are moving around in the dark.

For phones, a small power pack/ charger costs about $10. Use less power on existing phone by dimming screen, turning off automatic things. Airplane mode can use less power. If you are searching for a signal -- your phone is often strongest at the moment you switch from airplane to regular mode.

• Like 1

??

Can you (or anyone) give me more info on the above? Our cell phones have never not worked during a power outage. I guess if it was off long enough . . . maybe? I think most cell phone towers are powered by emergency generators, and they'd only run for so long. But for a temporary power outage it's sure not a problem. Our power was off for several hours last week after a storm and I used the phone constantly during that time, including as a hot spot to run my laptop. I always do.

Unless the cell towers go down the phones should probably work. During the 2004 season cell phones were the only phones working. We still had a landline then, and the landline phones went down in my area. They too have an emergency backup but apparently that drained quickly.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

??

Towers are frequently destroyed in severe storms, especially in a category 4 hurricane.  I don't have a link, but I did customer service for a cell phone company as a job when I was in college.  Even if the towers aren't all wiped out, dropped calls will be frequent and phones will waste batteries hunting for better reception.

• Like 1

Towers are frequently destroyed in severe storms, especially in a category 4 hurricane.  I don't have a link, but I did customer service for a cell phone company as a job when I was in college.  Even if the towers aren't all wiped out, dropped calls will be frequent and phones will waste batteries hunting for better reception.

Well, yes of course if the cell towers are destroyed or maybe even damaged. But not just because the power is out.

I don't really know what that means. How do you get to an area with cell phone towers when you can't even get around because of all the debris?

You get close enough. They'll be able to do that. They also have switch networks that will help.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-ready-serve-our-customers-and-community-hurricane-irma-threatens-us-0

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/att-networks-prepared-for-hurricane-irma-300516402.html

• Like 1

Has she never prepared for a hurricane or other natural disasters before? How much time does she have to prepare? What sort of help does she have available?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think this is the first time a hurricane of any significant force may be likely to reach where she is.  Neither of us has ever been in an evacuation SFIK. Don't know if she will be this time either. But she wants to be ready in case, not stressing when told that it is imminent.  And it is just her.

Honestly in her situation I'd suggest going to a shelter. 

She should be sure to have cash on hand. 

Not a shelter situation as of yet, and may or may not become so.  Some cash is a good idea.  She'll stay where she is if she can. And no reason to be adding to highway jams of others who really do need to flee where they are when she is only in an area of potential problems. 

FWW -- I was not advocating leaving important papers behind. One would hope anyone would realize that would be stupid. I was recommending it in case she chooses (or has to) shelter in place.

That's okay. She doesn't have a dishwasher, but the idea sparked some other thoughts like putting papers in a ziplock bag and then in an Igloo type cooler to be more likely to keep them dry if having to leave.

The whole plenty of plastic bags and ways to keep things dry was important since we are Westerners, and our potential disasters tend to be of the hot, dry fiery, or earth shaking variety. 

• Like 3

... a sturdy solid table narrow enough to fit down the hallway to sleep under so she has a shelter without windows. ...

I understand the hallway idea to be away from windows.  

How would a table to sleep under in a hallway help? Would this be for if roof rips off or a tree crashes through?

Please don't put things in the dishwasher for protection.

http://lifehacker.com/a-dishwasher-will-not-keep-your-valuables-safe-in-a-hur-1802720505?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twitter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

You don't know what will become of appliances. We were greeted by our new fridge in front of our house after a hurricane.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

It might protect someone's head but if water gets in or wind, objects will fill up the hallway. This was our hallway after Katrina.

Yikes!

I'm noticing that there is a good bit for hurricane prep that seems backwards of for earthquake prep.  We tend to want things kept low so they will not fly off high shelves, or at least not fly as far--assuming that there is not total destruction.   But for hurricane putting things up high where they'd stay out of water if it rises seems to make more sense.

And in an earthquake being on a lower floor, unless the whole building collapses, tends to get a lot less shaking and flying objects.  But for hurricane it might be better to be up higher if there is going to be flooding.

Yikes!

I'm noticing that there is a good bit for hurricane prep that seems backwards of for earthquake prep.  We tend to want things kept low so they will not fly off high shelves, or at least not fly as far--assuming that there is not total destruction.   But for hurricane putting things up high where they'd stay out of water if it rises seems to make more sense.

And in an earthquake being on a lower floor, unless the whole building collapses, tends to get a lot less shaking and flying objects.  But for hurricane it might be better to be up higher if there is going to be flooding.

Yes. I mean of course it can vary from home to home with individual circumstances, but in our home the stuff up high was safer. I moved a few items up higher before we left town. They were okay. The kitchen was destroyed but a lunchbox of mine in a tall cupboard was saved lol. I looked through the photos this week and the dishwasher was still attached to the wall but the oven had moved away a bit and was sticking out. And then we know of course our fridge was in the front yard lol. A purse I really liked was on a hook in the front entryway, but it got splashed with a bunch of junk. That's because it was in the path of where the brick wall and other walls fell down so a bunch of water/wind/debris came right toward it.