Menu

Looking for excellent documentaries on Netflix.

J-rap

I believe it is available on Netflix in the USA. It's not available here in Colombia yet.  I am waiting for "Sully" in English.  It is about the Captain of the U.S. Airways Airbus A320 (my favorite aircraft), who took off from LaGuardia Airport and ran into a bunch of birds and lost both engines. He landed in the Hudson River in NYC. Nobody was injured.

Also I'm waiting for the 13 hours in Benghazi movie to be available in English. It is about the Radical Islamic Terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya.

They have a huge amount of things available here on Netflix Colombia, and far more available if you are in the USA. If there is something you want to see, I believe you can request it.  

Look at the Ratings. We always Rate the movies we watch on Netflix and Reviews and Ratings help.

• Like 1

I believe it is available on Netflix in the USA. It's not available here in Colombia yet.  I am waiting for "Sully" in English.  It is about the Captain of the U.S. Airways Airbus A320 (my favorite aircraft), who took off from LaGuardia Airport and ran into a bunch of birds and lost both engines. He landed in the Hudson River in NYC. Nobody was injured.

Also I'm waiting for the 13 hours in Benghazi movie to be available in English. It is about the Radical Islamic Terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya.

They have a huge amount of things available here on Netflix Colombia, and far more available if you are in the USA. If there is something you want to see, I believe you can request it.  

Look at the Ratings. We always Rate the movies we watch on Netflix and Reviews and Ratings help.

Both of those would be super interesting to watch.  I'll have to see if they're available!

.... Just checked.  They're both available on DVD only.  I hate when Netflix does that!!

• Like 1

I don't know if you can find them online or not, but The History Channel's series, "Modern Marvels" was/is awesome.  They delve into the past, present, & future of a multitude of topics (people, technology, etc).  We watched tons of them while homeschooling and I can't recall a single one we didn't care for (though we skipped some on things like military technology that just didn't interest us).  They can make canned food, bathrooms, highways, or whatever incredibly interesting - even for kids (at least, my kids).

I just googled the show and discovered that 99% of google voters gave it a thumbs up so we aren't alone in our love.  Here's the search I used if you want to look at it for more info on the program or to see if any of the "watch online" things are available to you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+marvels+tv&oq=modern+marvels+tv&aqs=chrome..69i57.6823j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 3

We switched to a new ISP on May 11th, the day they installed our FTTH (Fiber to the House) service. A month or so after that, my wife told me that one of the 2 movies was available on TV, but you had to pay for it. I think it was approximately USD $3.  Now, in retrospect, if it was available in English, I would have bought Microwave Popcorn and paid the $3.

The moral of that story is that when something you would like to see becomes available, watch it, because you might not have another chance for awhile. At that time, I thought, surely it will be available soon on Netflix, and that's free, since we pay for Netflix monthly. Not yet available. One of the 2 movies I want to see is very recent (2016) so that may be why it isn't on Netflix for free at this time.

• Like 1

Daughters of Destiny is a four part series about a free PK-12 boarding school in India that educates children from the lowest castes. I really enjoyed it, and didn't want it to end.

The Boys of '36 about the US Men's Olympic Rowing Team

The Keepers about the murder of a Catholic Nun

The Short Game about very young golfers

Surfwise, a very different and interesting doc about a doctor with a very large family that lived a very non-traditional lifestyle

Touch the Wall about Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin

Twinsters about twins separated at birth and adopted into different countries

Top Spin follows some top young table tennis players in the US

First Position follows young ballet dancers preparing for a major competition

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

I don't know if you can find them online or not, but The History Channel's series, "Modern Marvels" was/is awesome.  They delve into the past, present, & future of a multitude of topics (people, technology, etc).  We watched tons of them while homeschooling and I can't recall a single one we didn't care for (though we skipped some on things like military technology that just didn't interest us).  They can make canned food, bathrooms, highways, or whatever incredibly interesting - even for kids (at least, my kids).

I just googled the show and discovered that 99% of google voters gave it a thumbs up so we aren't alone in our love.  Here's the search I used if you want to look at it for more info on the program or to see if any of the "watch online" things are available to you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+marvels+tv&oq=modern+marvels+tv&aqs=chrome..69i57.6823j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It looks like some full episodes are available on Youtube.  I'll definitely check them out -- thanks!!

• Like 1

Daughters of Destiny is a four part series about a free PK-12 boarding school in India that educates children from the lowest castes. I really enjoyed it, and didn't want it to end.

The Boys of '36 about the US Men's Olympic Rowing Team

The Keepers about the murder of a Catholic Nun

The Short Game about very young golfers

Surfwise, a very different and interesting doc about a doctor with a very large family that lived a very non-traditional lifestyle

Touch the Wall about Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin

Twinsters about twins separated at birth and adopted into different countries

Top Spin follows some top young table tennis players in the US

First Position follows young ballet dancers preparing for a major competition

Thanks!  That first one especially looks very interesting to me.  I'm bookmarking it now.

I am waiting for "Sully" in English.  It is about the Captain of the U.S. Airways Airbus A320 (my favorite aircraft), who took off from LaGuardia Airport and ran into a bunch of birds and lost both engines. He landed in the Hudson River in NYC. Nobody was injured.

The movie "Sully" is

a) Not a documentary

b) Quite different from the actual events, in order to gin up false drama and promote a political agenda.

c) Possible the worst movie I've seen in the theaters in the last 10 years.

The movie "Sully" is

a) Not a documentary

b) Quite different from the actual events, in order to gin up false drama and promote a political agenda.

c) Possible the worst movie I've seen in the theaters in the last 10 years.

Interesting.  I wonder what Sully himself says about it.

What political agenda is it promoting?

Interesting.  I wonder what Sully himself says about it.

What political agenda is it promoting?

It is hard to make a movie out of an event, though very dramatic, that only took a couple of minutes to play out.

Instead, the producers chose to center the drama around the NTSB investigation that followed, and created a conflict that never happened.  They portray the NTSB investigators as no-nothing government wonks who want to destroy our manly, John Wayne-esque hero.  Here's a review by an actual pilot: http://www.askthepilot.com/sully-upon-hudson/

It is hard to make a movie out of an event, though very dramatic, that only took a couple of minutes to play out.

Instead, the producers chose to center the drama around the NTSB investigation that followed, and created a conflict that never happened.  They portray the NTSB investigators as no-nothing government wonks who want to destroy our manly, John Wayne-esque hero.  Here's a review by an actual pilot: http://www.askthepilot.com/sully-upon-hudson/

Wow, that's too bad. I suppose some things are better off left simply for what they are, and that's inspirational enough.