Menu

7th grade parenting

staceyobu

7th grade. Ugh.

Our now adult son was a weepy mess. It improved through the year and by 8th, we were mostly in the clear.

Current 8th grader had a rough patch in 7th, too, but less weepy more eye rolling type. Some weepies, but different. It peaked between end of 6th and mid-7th.

We talked a lot about puberty and hormones, and how they can make a hormone storm that amplifies everything. We developed coping skills and tried to remind each other to use them. Showers and high protein snacks were key here to changing around a crummy mood. I had to remind myself not to take things personally, a lot. :)

Good luck.

This, too, shall pass.

They come out in the other side, eventually.

• Like 1

Hugs.  A middle school teacher I know says the consensus among teachers at her school is they wish they would all be dropped off on an island for all of 7th grade, Lord of the Flies style.  Then bring them back to educate for 8th, because 7th is a wash.

• Like 3

Hugs.  A middle school teacher I know says the consensus among teachers at her school is they wish they would all be dropped off on an island for all of 7th grade, Lord of the Flies style.  Then bring them back to educate for 8th, because 7th is a wash.

lol.  I have a friend who also teaches middle school - and says much the same thing. that they should be isolated.  she would have no problem with them being around older kids - because the older kids won't put up with it, and will "thump them".

• Like 1

I think it will last until she gets her period.   

I feel like the teen years have such a bad reputation, but in my experience it's the tween years with girls that are rough.

My now 14 year old has been much easier to deal with at 13&14 than at 11&12.

Turning from a child into an adult is just a rough transition for a body to make.   

Yep. Completely normal here for my tween. One thing that has helped is that I carve out a few hours a week for a Starbucks Study hall-go to a coffee shop, just the two of us, and both bring work. She'll often talk about what is bugging her then. The key is just to listen, not advise.

I've also outsourced a lot more, and I've found that it is better if she is either with younger kids or teens past that stage. She is at her grumpy, moody, eye-rolly worst when it's just her, or when she's with other kids her age or close to it.

• Like 2

Middle school was the time when I had to really dig in with my daughter about things like routines and bedtimes and eating and such. She hated it. She felt it was arbitrary. But....I and everyone else could tell when she'd not had enough sleep and was out of her routine. I also had to ban things like multiple night sleepovers because that could ruin her whole week. Two nights of no sleep made her totally more unbearable. I did start telling her that if she couldn't manage herself better after a sleepover with a friend, we'd stop allowing them.

Re: Sleepovers

I made it a point to tell moms (I was a total party pooper, but the other moms kinda weer glad I mentioned it and was willing to be the bad guy) that I really needed dd to get to sleep by midnight. Otherwilse it would take days for her to feel normal. And sleeping in late didn't make much of a difference. She'd sleep late, feel groggy, be ugly to everyone, and claim to be too tired to help out doing her chores. So yeah...I was that mom. But it was the only thing I could do to preserve the routine of fun sleepovers and keep my sanity. Otherwise, I'd have had to ban them altogether.

Seventh grade is a horrible time for many kids. Hang in there mom. Excercise, eating right, fun times with friends, and basic chores seems to help.

• Like 1

My current 8th grader has been non-compliant since newborn and stayed that way. Luckily it didn't get any worse. He has already perfected the eye-rolling as a baby whenever my husband came home late from work.

My current 7th grader has always been the drama king and is better now that his workload ramp up again with the outsourced classes all starting back up. His drama about homework is nicer than his drama about everyday life.

I'm too sleep deprived from the recent heat wave for them to argue with me so they argue among themselves in the car and my husband was entertained listening to all the bombastic words coming out of their mouths.

Other than my dad and brother, all my paternal and maternal are argumentative and definitely non-compliant even as adults. My relatives were good verbal sparring partners when I had to practice for inter-class debate competition in middle school.

We are good at arguing while completely school work correctly :lol:

Edited by Arcadia